Why become a member? ×

Storyville BBC4 Tonight - show about the Fame / Muscle Shoals Studio..

louisthebass

Just to give all the Soul / Rhythm & Blues fans a heads up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03x3vb9

There's a programme on BBC 4 at 9pm tonight all about Rick Hall's Fame Studio, which eventually produced the rhythm section for the Muscle Shoals Studio of the 70's / 80's. Hopefully there will be an interview or two with David Hood :-)

Well, saw the show last night and I have to say it was the best 1hr, 45mins of TV I've seen in a long time. Thought the interviews were great - getting the story first hand from Rick Hall, the musicians and the artists brought the whole thing to life :).

I've probably mentioned this before, for anyone who really digs the whole 60's Southern Soul scene should read Peter Guralnick's book "Sweet Soul Music" - a superb read.

[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1394266396' post='2389628']
Well, saw the show last night and I have to say it was the best 1hr, 45mins of TV I've seen in a long time.
[/quote]

Me too, totally absorbing. And you don't need to be a southern soul or r'n'b fan to appreciate it, either - the Swampers played on so many famous recordings that there's something for everyone... and the Stones, Dylan and Paul Simon recorded there, to name a few. Just astounding that at their peak they were recording FIFTY albums a year, the majority of them million sellers. And I'd hardly heard of these guys before.

Edited by discreet

What wasn't explained very well was that there were two studios, Fame (the original) and Muscle Shoals (which the musicians founded).

So the story of two studios in one place.

Tailed off mightily and went too sl;ow in the beginning (who gives a deck about what Bono thinks?) but a good watch nevertheless.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1394266396' post='2389628']

I've probably mentioned this before, for anyone who really digs the whole 60's Southern Soul scene should read Peter Guralnick's book "Sweet Soul Music" - a superb read.

[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

Absolutely. All of Guralnick's books are excellent.
What a great film, the wife sat through it all with hardly a peep which was a testament to its quality.
Today on my gramophone I shall mostly be playing....

I thought it was paced about right given the programme length. Too much programming is edited at breakneck speed, largely in an attempt to cover up the fact that the content is weak, but also to pander to the 'me' generation who can't concentrate on anything for more than....

Hey! Let's go to Maccy D's! :gas: *Jumps out of window*

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1394271395' post='2389693']
What wasn't explained very well was that there were two studios, Fame (the original) and Muscle Shoals (which the musicians founded).

So the story of two studios in one place.

Tailed off mightily and went too sl;ow in the beginning (who gives a deck about what Bono thinks?) but a good watch nevertheless.
[/quote]

I thought that was explained.... Hall went off to do a deal with Capitol and when he was about to announce it to his house band, The Swampers, they dropped the bombshell at that same meeting that they were off to work for Jerry Wexler...as he has promised to build them a studio...
so Hall was left high and dry with no 'hit making' band.
That is why he went out and got the new guys he did...??

That is how I understood it..
I don't know who ended up producing the greater body of work but I got the impression that the new regime wasn't the death knell
Hall ( or Wezler ) thought it was going to be at the time....far from it..!!!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1394289300' post='2389936']
I am a huge fan of so much of the music that came out of Muscle Shoals and of the musicians that made it , and have been for a very long time . I can't wait to see this documentary.
[/quote]

You have a treat in store for you, then.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1394398984' post='2391061']
I was wondering why there was absolutely no mention of Tommy Cogbill though.
[/quote]

Wasn't he in The Memphis Boys at American? I don't know if he did that much work at Muscle Shoals?