Why become a member? ×

Storyville BBC4 Tonight - show about the Fame / Muscle Shoals Studio..

louisthebass

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394399150' post='2391064']
Wasn't he in The Memphis Boys at American? I don't know if he did that much work at Muscle Shoals?
[/quote]

He was indeed one of Chips Moman's crew in Memphis, but also worked in Nashville and Muscle Shoals , both on bass and guitar. Tommy Cogbill played bass on "Respect" and "Natural Woman" by Aretha, "Son Of A Preacher Man" by Dusty Springfield and Elvis version of "Kentucky Rain " among many others, if I recall correctly.

I seem to remember an hearing a radio interview with Rod Stewart many years ago where he talked about the culture shock of going to Muscle Shoals to record in the 1970's and the height of his partying days and finding out it was in a "dry county" , with highly prohibitive laws governing the sale of alcohol. Didn't seem to affect his performance though. He was still crap sober. Just kidding.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1394538905' post='2392353']
He was indeed one of Chips Moman's crew in Memphis, but also worked in Nashville and Muscle Shoals , both on bass and guitar. Tommy Cogbill played bass on "Respect" and "Natural Woman" by Aretha, "Son Of A Preacher Man" by Dusty Springfield and Elvis version of "Kentucky Rain " among many others, if I recall correctly.

I seem to remember an hearing a radio interview with Rod Stewart many years ago where he talked about the culture shock of going to Muscle Shoals to record in the 1970's and the height of his partying days and finding out it was in a "dry county" , with highly prohibitive laws governing the sale of alcohol. Didn't seem to affect his performance though. He was still crap sober. Just kidding.
[/quote]

Well I bow to your encyclopaedic musical history knowledge... ;)

I am a bit obsessed with the pop music made in this part of the World in the 1960's and '70's. Also , I used to live in a miserable flat with no television and spent many hours reading and rereading an old issue of Bass Player with Tommy Cogbill's obituary in it. I know it word for word.

I also remember reading an interview many years ago with David Hood when he talked about coming to London to record with Primal Scream on their "Rocks" album, and having listened to their music presumed they wanted something contemporary and electronic and brought with him a Peavey midi- equipped bass synth controller outfit, only to find that, much to his surprise, they just wanted him to play bass like he used to on all those classic records, so he did the whole record with his Kubicki X Factor.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1394539990' post='2392370']
... he talked about coming to London to record with Primal Scream on their "Rocks" album ...
[/quote]

Now look what you've done.

I followed the link to "Rocks" which led to Wikipaedia on Primal Scream which led to discussion of their new (in late 2012) mystery bassist Simone Butler which finally explained where Simone disappeared to when she suddenly vanished from Vintage & Rare in Denmark Street where I knew her for years as a shop assistant ...

Bloody internet.

Delighted for her, mind. Nice lady, very smart, and (presumably) no slouch on bass either.