Why become a member? ×

What Was Wrong With Your Streamliner?

discreet

[b]What Was Wrong With Your Streamliner?[/b]

Having done a search or two in Amps and Cabs For Sale, I notice that a fair quantity of Genz Benz Streamliners (both 600 and 900) have been sold through the auspices of this parish.

Yet some of the threads on here give the impression that the Streamliner is one of the more highly-rated and desirable of the 'mini' or 'lightweight' amps currently available (though becoming rarer since Fender's acquisition of GB, I believe). [size=4]So to those of you who moved on your Streamliners, my question is this: Why?[/size]

I thank you! :)

I can ask the same question about Aguilar, Markbass and a handful of other manufacturers :)

Endless search for tone, GAS and boredom. If a popular amp exists that doesn't flood classifieds and eBay with second hand models, that would be remarkable :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1394115402' post='2388080']
I reckon it`s the dreaded GAS myself. I keep on looking at different amps, yet tone-wise my Markbass set-up gives me the exact sound I want.
[/quote]

I'm sure you're right, Lozz.
I'm getting the exact sound I want too, but selfishly I want it in a package that weighs a bit less than 35kg... :)

It was loud, and had a big bottom end, but unfortunately - in common with my experience with other micro heads I've used, especially those that use the B&O ICEPower module - it had no 'backbone'.

IMO, of course.

The MESA Walkabout gives me the tube experience, coupled with the heft, in a lightweight package.

As above, you can find plenty of sales threads for lots of amps on here - I'd say the winner would be the LMII or III, but that doesn't mean there's anything in common with the reasons for sale, other than, as Lozz says, easy GAS. As an example, I have a diametrically opposite experience of the Streamliner with WoT's Walkabout - I thought the Streamliner was everything the Walkabout was, but smaller, so I sold the Walkabout back to WoT. How we laughed. :D

The only thing I can think of is maybe people don't get the Streamliner EQ: as we've discussed before, it's a bit different.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394113369' post='2388046']
[b]What Was Wrong With Your Streamliner?[/b]

Having done a search or two in Amps and Cabs For Sale, I notice that a fair quantity of Genz Benz Streamliners (both 600 and 900) have been sold through the auspices of this parish.

Yet some of the threads on here give the impression that the Streamliner is one of the more highly-rated and desirable of the 'mini' or 'lightweight' amps currently available (though becoming rarer since Fender's acquisition of GB, I believe). [size=4]So to those of you who moved on your Streamliners, my question is this: Why?[/size]

I thank you! :)
[/quote]

Asks the man who had found nirvana with his Carvin gear :o (still love mine) :)

I think people don't make the best of choices in the first place for their needs, don't do enough homework or
just figure that they will take a punt and sell it on easily enough if it doesn't work.
Emperors new clothes and a club/clique may also factor...

The good thing is that there is a decent market here

something becomes flavour of the week, everyone buys one... it falls out of favour lots of folk sell to buy the next big thing....

I find it more interesting seeing the gear that doesn't come up that often and keeps it's value/desirability.... Thunderfunk, Mesa walkabout come to mind.
Mind you I thought Kev's Phil Jones Six Pac would be sold pretty quickly too....

I'm very much 'in love' with my recently bought Streamliner...I kind of see it a bit like a well behaved Orange Terror. But then I love my Carvin BX1500 which is super clean and a complete opposite to the Genz...oh and both are super loud :D

[size=4]My Streamliner 900's a keeper, when I inevitably get my head turned by something else it will drop down the order and occupy the reserve position. I think my SVT CL will go before it does.[/size]

Edited by Handwired

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1394133440' post='2388349']
Asks the man who had found nirvana with his Carvin gear :o (still love mine) :)
[/quote]

Guilty! :(

[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1394148848' post='2388594']
[size=4]My Streamliner 900's a keeper... I think my SVT CL will go before it does.[/size]
[/quote]

Wow, that says a lot! :o

I'm just going to have to get one to see what it's like. And then sell it on here a month later. :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394165439' post='2388644']

Can you elaborate? And which Shuttle, please? :)
[/quote]

It's a 6.0 although I would like to upgrade to either a 6.2 or 9.2.

For me size and weight is important, and the shuttles fit in my gig bag plus leads. Plus sweep able mids over selectable gives a broader range of sounds.
Plus for me, the pretty flat output is what I want, and rehearsals and gigs makes it easier for me to make EQ changes against the room.

To answer the original question, to counter lots of happy owners who ARE happy with the streamliner.

I sold mine because of it's inherent sound ... ie. it's big heavy bottom, and inherent mid scoop. Yes you can get it almost flat by reducing the bass big time and either scooping it's 220Hz mids OR boosting it's 600Hz mids. But for me that is still too scooped. I like mids and this amp simply doesn't deliver in that area for me. From my memory my cab at the time was a Genz 8x10 XB3, certainly not a mid-shy cab.
The EQ allows you to boost cut either 220Hz, 600Hz or 1500Hz on it's mids control. However, if you boost one of them, I still notice the gap elsewhere.
For many owners this simply isn't an issue as they are looking for a different sound but for me it was a deal-breaker.

I bought a used 600 and sold it within days. I found it lacking in volume and punch compared to the Orange Terror - I could max the volume on the Genz in my bedroom, bang an open E and the built in power management would just clamp right down on the note. With the Orange Terror, I have feared to turn the master past 10 o'clock (and that's with the gain nearly all the way down), and it just thumps you in the chest. Also I didn't like the big hole in the midrange and found myself fighting the EQ. I know the Orange EQ is pants as well, but at least I don't have a problem getting a good sound out of it.

I might have got on better with the 900 and different cabs though (tried it with a sealed Matamp 2x12 at the time).

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1394180289' post='2388686']
Yes you can get it almost flat by reducing the bass big time and either scooping it's 220Hz mids OR boosting it's 600Hz mids. But for me that is still too scooped. I like mids and this amp simply doesn't deliver in that area for me.
[/quote]

Thanks for this - hmm I like mids, too. I notice you have a GK MB500 in your sig - what's that like, then? :)