Why become a member? ×

Being in more than one band

Guest MoJo

I've noticed that some members list themselves as being in more than one band in their sig. If you are the primary bassist for two or three bands, how do you prioritise gigs / rehearsals?

Everyone should know about the others, and accept that you are in more than 1 band.

You will have a "main" band. There has to be a pecking order.

First in the diary gets it unless another gig comes in with a long enough lead time to get the dep involved.

Make sure you have good deps on hand.

Always make sure you're better than the deps.

Gigs always top trump rehearsals.

What rehearsals?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1393423295' post='2380036']
Everyone should know about the others, and accept that you are in more than 1 band.

You will have a "main" band. There has to be a pecking order.

First in the diary gets it unless another gig comes in with a long enough lead time to get the dep involved.

Make sure you have good deps on hand.

Always make sure you're better than the deps.

Gigs always top trump rehearsals.

What rehearsals?
[/quote]

Not being as good as Chris (or as much in demand), I'd love to apply his advice but don't get the opportunity.

My sig lists four bands, but only the Dogs is a regular weekend gig (roughly twice a month usually, bit more than that at the moment).

Dani Molino and Karena Kelly are singer-songwriters for whom I play DB at very occasional mid-week gigs in trendy places like Hoxton (ee lad, I remember when all this were slums).

King Ralph only really plays the day-time festivals during the summer, Greenford Festival, Hanwell Carnival, etc.

Translation = My four bands don't really occupy the same space, so they never clash.

As to rehearsals, certainly with the Dogs they form an essential part of my social life.

I work on a first come first served basis. Except, say, if I have a pub gig in for a Saturday night, that pub band accept that if I get a decent paying bigger gig for the same night with enough notice, I'll dep out theirs. I'm up front about it, it doesn't often happen, and it hasn't caused any problems so far.
I also play in a bunch of bands, with very few clashes.

Edited by ratman

Similar to Happy Jack, the bands I play with don't really clash and never frequent the same places.
Sunday mornings and some Sunday evenings it's a church worship band.
Midweek, Fridays and Saturdays a blues&roots duo/trio.
Maybe 6 times a year, a ceilidh band. Usually on a Saturday night but they are booked months in advance so there's rarely a clash.
Gigs trump rehearsals, but I rarely miss one for any other reason so bandmates are accommodating.

Nice idea to say1st come 1st served but bigger/better gigs trump that...
or will over any period of time. IMO

We wont book pub dates on a sat in the summer as we can get a minimum 3 times as much elsewhere.
Like it or not..... money will be a factor here for some....

To me, a good gig isn't all about the money, it is about being a good gig... to others a good gig is DEFINED by the money.
You have to be reasonable and get your deps up to speed...

I have the serious signed to an indie / records albums band and the knock about band. Neither manages to tread on the other ones toes and interestingly the knock about band rehearses much, much more regularly. I too believe in first come first served which is a pain if you get a better gig offer but you have to be strict or you'll wind up messing people around. I think most older musicians play in a couple of bands as a lot of bands struggle to get that full a diary. I fought it for years but it seems to be the done thing.

In two, play bass in one guitar in the other. First in the diary gets the spot. I'm glad I'm in two as arranging practises with one is difficult and if that was my only focus I would have quit by now.

Edited by Pinball

I am in two at the moment. Everyone else in both bands are also in other bands as well.

As others have said...

Be open.
Make sure you know your sh*t (ie 2 bands = twice the work, not 1.5 times or the same as a single band)
First come first served for rehearsals and gigs.
Gigs trump rehearsals.
Get good deps (I prefer getting deps who are just as good if not better than me).

Being in two bands, especially playing different genre, massively helps my playing and I can feel the difference both bring to eachother in my fingers.