Why become a member? ×

Being in more than one band

Guest MoJo

I am in 3 bands at the moment, gigs wise it is a first come first served basis but the main covers band is limited to 2 gigs a month leaving a few spare dates for the other bands, it seems to work ok.

Rehearsal wise I ask the set list for the next gig is sent through well in advance so I can rehearse only those songs and we also rotate songs in and out of the set on a regular basis so nothing ends up being stale.

Between the 3 bands I have a set list of 64 songs (40 for the main covers band an additional 10 different ones in the second covers band and 14 originals in the final band) practice wise that breaks down to 2 a day or 6 minutes a day over a month....manageable.

The question in the OP was triggered by the fact that I'm in two bands, both cover bands. The guitarist and vocalist in the first band are in other bands and the drummer in the second band is in another band. Neither band I'm in uses deps so when one band gets a booking, it rules out all the other bands taking a booking on that day. It has and still does cause feelings of resentment

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1393423852' post='2380059']
Tried being in two bands, didn't like it. Felt like I was spreading myself too thin.
I think that's the first sentence I've ever written with the words 'I' and 'thin' in it.
[/quote]
Amen sir. Funniest thing I've read in ages :lol:

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1393506818' post='2381128']
..... Neither band I'm in uses deps so when one band gets a booking, it rules out all the other bands taking a booking on that day. It has and still does cause feelings of resentment....
[/quote]

This is all very silly. You guys are the cause of your own problems.

Use deps.

I’ll send the bill. My consultancy fees are very reasonable.

I've done playing in more than one band in the past. I won't be doing it again since I missed out on one of the most prestigious gigs I've had the chance to do because of a first-come-first-served policy and the band that had got in first with the less high-profile gig not letting me get a dep.

In the Terrortones a previous guitarist was in multiple bands. We cured this by loading him up with gigs so he no longer had any time available for the others.

I've said before I don't like 1st come, 1st served as altho' it is an admirable stance, some players will do the gigs they want
to do and it probably isn't fair... or even advisable, to hold them to the Dog and Duck gig for £50's when a far better gig comes by.
This causes resentment and may well be the start of a parting of the ways. Far better to be reasonable or as much as you can
and get to know how a guy works. You'll find a way to accomodate and you'll find the guys that play fair if you do the same.

Of course, you don't want an out and out dick or ego but blowing out a very prestigous gig for someone is not going to help your own cause.

Be honest, who is going to turn down a REALLY good gig to play with your mates in a pub and tbf, would they really expect you too.
It is better to work with really busy players with a good profile and let them go with your best wishes when they pull down a a really nice gig
which befits their talent

Regarding deps, I think whether you are playing covers or originals makes a big difference. We've had two dep drummers and 3 guitarists and although they all played well none of them really looked the part and they certainly didn't "perform" in the way that the full-time members of the band do. The bass player who stood in for me at the gig I mentioned in my pervious post probably played the notes far better than I ever do but from the video I've seen of the gig he looked terrible on stage and spent way too much time with his back to the audience.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1393421952' post='2380005']
I've noticed that some members list themselves as being in more than one band in their sig. If you are the primary bassist for two or three bands, how do you prioritise gigs / rehearsals?
[/quote]

For rehearsals, we assign a particular day of the week. That may change after a while, and not every week has to have a rehearsal, but having a set day for a particular band helps.

Of course, in my case it helps that several of the bands share a few members.

There is a main band, in my case... and this band is also the priority of every member. But this "priority" status rarely has to be invoked. The gigs are booked on a first come first serve basis. I guess it helps that only the "main" band is very active...

Of course, everyone is transparent about other projects they may have. In fact, it's been quite useful having band members involved in other things: we have expanded our "circle of influence" and in some cases it's turned out to be a good move technique-wise for some members.

Not sure how common my situation is... but here it is:
I'm in 4 bands currently.
However, before you scream it's crazy... two of them are straight tribute bands. We have had a period of learning the tunes and rehearsing regularly. Now in one of them we rehearse maybe once a month, with the other we never do. We play typically one gig a month with each. Sometimes two, a few times none.
The other two bands are originals.

My main band is comprised of 8 people:

1) vocalist/guitar - he also plays in two other bands. We share one band.
2) rhythm guitar
3) lead guitar/vocals - he is in another band with me, where he plays drums
4) drummer - he plays in two other bands, one of which we share
5) trumpet - he plays in an orchestra sometimes
6) trumpet
7) sax
8) oh, that's me! :)

Next week we have a gig with one of the tribute bands, but our drummer hurt his foot badly... so the main band's drummer is stepping in.
It's like we have a large collective of subs if we need them :). Last week I had to leave town due to a family problem, a day before a gig... But one of our other band's bass players has depped for me in the past and was able to take my place.
I don't like using deps in originals' bands as a regular thing, but they can be a very useful thing when used sparingly.

Of course, all this only works because we are largely reliable, we communicate, and use online calendars... those are a godsend.

Edited by mcnach

The key is communication. Let your bands know that you play in other bands, and that you work on a first-come first-served basis. If you say no to a gig at the start it is much better than stringing someone along and cancelling on them at short notice. Always be transparent and don't make up excuses for missing gigs as you will always get found out - I am guessing your local music scene is as small and as clique-y as mine!