Why become a member? ×

How do you set your volume playing live?

John Cellario

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1392986382' post='2374936']
I've never used the volume control on a bass as anything other than an on/off switch.
[/quote]

What he said.

My volume is set to full on the bass. On occasions when a bit of a boost is required I stomp a box for it.

Yup, full or off for me too. If I generally need more volume, then I turn the amp up. If I need more volume mid-song, then invariably I'll create dynamics by plucking softer / harder.

Only exception to the rule is using a Jazz style V-V-T setup, and I want to bring in a small amount of the bridge PuP to add a bit of bark...

As previous and with M-Bass_M the ony time I change relative vol pots is on a jazz to occasionally give a bit of diff tone. Mostly the vol is full on and all other adjustment done downstream on amp, preamp pedal and whatever. Lots more control than on the bass itself.

I have the pickups on full, then set the amp to where I can hear it comfortably. Then during soundcheck I stand in front of the stage and if I'm not loud enough I'll go onstage and turn up as much as possible. I learned from experience that if the bass isn't already audible in the mix, that's either the way the sound engineer intended it, or the PA can't handle that much bass so I just use my backline ;)

I think the tone of my bass is probably at it's best at about 3/4 on-bass volume, so sound check/start set at half volume then sneakily turn it up to 3/4 on the bass when I feel the need. I never touch the amp when I'm playing - both tone & volume changes are done with the bass.

How do I set the volume on my amp playing live? Loud. Very loud.

You need to be loud because everybody else has a vested interest in stopping the bass player from being heard, and what's the point of spending all that time learning to play if people can't hear you? If I had wanted to be a f***ing mime artist I would have moved to France and painted my face white a long time ago. Loud is better, because loud is...louder.

Billy Sheehan did an advert for Di Marzio pickups many years ago that said " It's easy to make a bass loud, but it's not so easy to make it heard". Well Billy, that might be true, but what's for certain is that if your bass is too quiet, people won't hear you regardless of what pickups you have got. Don't believe the hype about controlled stage volume. What they really want to do is control you using volume, or more accurately the lack of it . Make it louder and stick it to The Man.

Um... I believe I read somewhere that if you don't have your bass volume up full you're not getting all the available signal.*
This is true of the tone control too, I think. Makes sense, really.

*Edit: By which I mean all the available tone...

Edited by discreet

Full up on the volume and I can then add bass, treble or mid vol during a song if I need it...
not really going for this for much more than a stop gap as that isn't the tone i started with...
If I need more volume, I go to the amp at the end of the song...

I set the stage volumes against hearing myself through the drums and rest of the band.
The good thing here is that no one is racing to be the loudest so it is just a question of mix...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1393005442' post='2375231']
Um... I believe I read somewhere that if you don't have your bass volume up full you're not getting all the available signal.
This is true of the tone control too, I think. Makes sense, really.
[/quote]

That is true, especially on passive basses. On active basses there is far less appreciable degradation of the signal if you turn the volume down a touch to compensate for the boost provided by using the EQ controls.