Why become a member? ×

Less frets

timmo

I think the reason is it's so rare to need more than 20, and when you do it's difficult to access them without a bigger set of cutaways.

Thinking about it though, I guess it depends what you're used to. My U-Bass has only 16 frets, and I find myself really missing the high C note that would be there if it had 17. There are a few things I have to play down an octave to accommodate this, the ad lib bit at the start of Don't Stop Me Now for example

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1392058544' post='2364204']
I think 21 makes sense, at least you can complete the last octave. This topping out at Eb (in regular tuning) makes no sense to me. [b]And spare me the "20's enough because Leo said so" dogma[/b] ;)
[/quote]

Especially as he changed his mind in all later bass designs.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1392054327' post='2364140']
ok. i thought the Clover Avenger was a prcision bass. No idea why i thought that. I assumed the Peavy was some jazz type bass. Again no idea why
[/quote]
I don't really know what a Clover Avenger is but I think we meant that ordinary Fender P and J have 20 frets - copies or others in same style can have as many as you like.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1392058544' post='2364204']
I think 21 makes sense, at least you can complete the last octave. This topping out at Eb (in regular tuning) makes no sense to me. And spare me the "20's enough because Leo said so" dogma ;)
[/quote]
I was more thinking 12 would be enough because I can't recall when I last went up there.

How many frets you need depends on what you want to play.

For me 19 would be fine most of the time because when I am playing high up on the neck I'm normally playing drones on an open string at the same time, so 19 frets gets me open D and D two octaves higher on the G string at the same time. If I'm going to be using anymore frets I'll want 24 as that gets me open D and then G two octaves and a fifth above.

However the other thing to consider is that more frets will make some of the lower ones easier to access. A 20 fret neck might be plenty of frets but you have to remember that access to the ones above the 15th fret is hampered by the neck joint. A 24 fret bolt-on neck will get you better access to more frets.