Why become a member? ×

Less frets

timmo

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1392069169' post='2364416']
How many frets you need depends on what you want to play.

For me 19 would be fine most of the time because when I am playing high up on the neck I'm normally playing drones on an open string at the same time, so 19 frets gets me open D and D two octaves higher on the G string at the same time. If I'm going to be using anymore frets I'll want 24 as that gets me open D and then G two octaves and a fifth above.

However the other thing to consider is that more frets will make some of the lower ones easier to access. A 20 fret neck might be plenty of frets but you have to remember that access to the ones above the 15th fret is hampered by the neck joint. A 24 fret bolt-on neck will get you better access to more frets.
[/quote]

Well said that man.

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1392213182' post='2365991']
It's still driving me nuts :-\.

Perhaps the mods can change the title and put those of us with grammar OCD out of our misery?
[/quote]
Yes, it's most discomfiting.

But I am wondering, while one might say that 'less frets' could be applied to a 'fretless' bass, is it possible for a 'fretless' bass to have 'fewer frets' than a fretted bass?

Or does 'fewer' imply a number above zero. My feeling is that 'fewer' does indeed imply a number other than zero and so a 'fretless' bass does not have 'fewer frets' than a fretted bass but it maybe does have less frets.

What do you say to that?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1392069169' post='2364416']
How many frets you need depends on what you want to play.
[/quote]

Yup. I am normally firmly entrenched below 12. Then one band decided to play 'By The Way' by RHCP, which needs 21 frets to play the intro properly, and I realised I only had that on a couple of my basses. Then having learnt it (I found it quite tricky - took me ages!!) the band imploded :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1392304721' post='2367037']
Technically everything after the 1st fret on the D-string is guitar territory, so why not do away with those two skinny strings too?
[/quote]

Well with modern metal guitarists playing 8 strings we could probably get away with less... Come to think of it, Animals As Leaders play in Drop E... No wonder they don't have a bass player!!!

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1392213182' post='2365991'] It's still driving me nuts :-\. Perhaps the mods can change the title and put those of us with grammar OCD out of our misery? [/quote]

Driving you nuts?

I suppose a bass with [i]frets, less [/i]- would be less likely to have a zero fret?

Anyway...

I think that the sinuses in my head must be choked up, or the codeine is deranging me. I was thinking of a semi-fretless, with only frets 1,3,5,7,9 and 12.

I'm kind of disappointed by the mundanity.

My tuppence: given [i]less[/i] [i]of[/i] [i]frets[/i], more options for different body designs at different scale lengths, and with different pickup spacings open up. Given more, and it is at least possible to get away with reading things for other instruments - not to mention to get out of playing things in the wrong spot, given that 15th and up isn't really accessible on a jazz for the lower strings.

Also, a 21 fret design with good access to the lower strings in the upper register is at least as good as a 24 fret design with poor access to lower strings at the upper register for many uses.

Given that the utility of that extra space will most often be felt for 'special effects' and/or whilst soloing - or in study of harmony, and parts for other instruments - it can be said that the space isn't vital - though it obviously is nice.

And the fretless, or the double bass, they obviously have none, and get along fine. The double bass even has more range up top (if your fingers and thumb can manage).

My conclusion: I wouldn't fret about it.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRFFFFFFFFFFFGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Sorry.

Edited by Bass Awkward