Why become a member? ×

Doubling up on 1x12 cabinets

acidbass

Hi all,

I have had a love affair with 12" drivers now for a long time and I have finally decided that it's the route I'm going to go down this year.

My current musical situation requires mainly a one cab solution with a second cabinet occasionally - like a modular rig, so I am particularly looking at pairs of 1x12 cabinets.

Lightweight a bonus!

I have read a lot of good things about the Markbass 121 cabinet and am currently looking at purchasing a pair of these. Has anyone used this exact configuration?

Are there any other options out there for a modular 12" rig that I should be looking at?

Most likely going to run the lot off a Genz Streamliner 900 @ 4 ohms.

Cheers :)

Danny

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1390521759' post='2346525']
I'm going to say Aggie DB112s all day long! ;)
[/quote]

And so will I, on the basis that I run a DB212 and it is bollocking.
Best cab solution I have...and I have DB210's and AE112's to choose from,..
is the DB212 so 2x112 should be the same IF they have engr'd the boxes
to do that.
A simple check on the dims should sort that..

I don't consider 40lbs anymore than a 1 hand lift...so altho not NEO light, you'll get that back in the sound..
IMO. Not wanting to derail the thread but I consider the NEO sound more lightweight.
Others don't agree, but there you go. That is why I'd saying DB...

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1390569104' post='2346956']
Pair of Bergantino CN112 cabs would be perfect.

I use a CN112 with a Streamliner 900 and it's brilliant!

I'll be getting a 2nd cab when I have more cash
[/quote]

I used my CN112 with my Streamliner 900 tonight as I couldn't quite be bothered to take my Berg IP112ER out (IP112ER 50 lbs, CN112 32 lbs)

The CN112/SL900 nailed it for me tonight. Loud drummer, loud keys, great tone and sat just right in the mix. Jazz/fusiony stuff. Plenty loud.

I wasn't sure about the CN112 at home, a bit too voiced, but excellent at rehearsal.

I used the Streamliner as preamp only into the Berg IP a few weeks ago for the same rehearsal. Killed it then too. Less voiced than the CN112 at home, but just as good in the mix.

Can't wait to get things loud enough to combine both the IP112ER and the CN112 (with the Streamliner as preamp only), but I haven't had a need to yet! Should be pretty good.

Reckon 2 x CN112 cabs would be pretty ace.

Edited by funkle

I use the Markbass CMD121P combo and NY121 extension cab. The combo is the same size as the NY121 so essentially I`m using a pair of the NY121s. Great set-up, portable, very powerful, never a problem with volume or depth of sound. I use the combo on its own in one band - we have 2 bassists so I don`t want to be too full-on - so just the one 112 and it`s fine. The other bands are really noisy punk so the extra cab while not necessary, it certainly fills out the sound a bit more.

I've been going through this for a while....

Anyone got experience of using a pair of Berg CN112s or a pair of Vanderkely 112MNTs? I'm interested in what the differences would be? Thinking of running these with my Genz ShuttleMax12.2 as a more portable alternative to the 2x Genz nx212ts I currently run.

I've compared the 2x12 versions and kept on A/Bing until I almost lost the will to continue, this was due to the fact they were both so good, the Van having a slightly warmer lower mid tone. I could not choose between them so walked away to think on it for a few days. I have now ordered a Super Twin 2 with a view to bring it into the equation, and maybe utilise the Barefaced return policy. One thing has struck me is that the[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]sound of the Van is still clearly in my head but the Berg I just [i]remember[/i] as being good.

I use swr golight 112's. Handy in terms if weight and flexibility. I can take 1 cab to rehearsals and use both for gigs.

I have had powerbags made by www.amplifiercoversonline.co.uk just so that I can carry my entire rig over my shoulder!

The rig is plenty loud enough, even over our aggressive drummer, projects really well and handles 5 string without distorting or vibrating.

I am really chuffed with 2x 112; my rig gas is gone.

All down to taste but Vanderkley and Berg Cn are great with that amp, my personal favourite though is the Baer ml112. 1 cab covers most if my gigs, 2 is just amazing! Perfect match for the streamliner IMHO of course.

Lots of choice to go from, I've not yet come across a bad 1x12 yet either. I use a Hartke HyDrive HX112 which I love, if the 1x15 wasn't so cheap I'd probably run a pair of them! Nice thing about it for me is that they're switchable between 4 and 8 ohms, so in 8ohms I use both cabs with the Hartke head, for small gigs where I only really want a big of backline / PA covering the rest, I'll take the Superfly and 1x12 and get 250 watts into 4 ohms :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1391375916' post='2356523']
is this another new cab you've got? :party: :party:
[/quote]

Heh, got it in the spree of trying new things last year. The CN112 sounds better to me than the HD112 and pairs well with the Bergie IP112ER. At home, I wasn't enamoured of the CN112, but in the band context it was awesome with the SL 900.

My GAS is spent, at least until I've tried out a fearless F112....lol

I still can't quite part with my Acme B1 either. To many gigs on it over the last 4 years or so. The CN112 is what I needed though, same weight as the B1 but slightly bigger and definitely louder.

I can only say a CN212 must be pretty amazing.

I've played the Vanderkley 2 x 112MNT stack with my SL900, it sounded absolutely gorgeous. I was a bit 'meh' on a single 112MNT, but I never got it out to playing out live/with a band - at that point I preferred the Acme B2.

On the whole, 2 12" drivers I think sound better than 1. But an Acme Fullrange 12", Baer ML112, Fearful 12/6/1, or fearless F112 cab could potentially prove me wrong. I tried the Barefaced BB2, really great cab, but in the end I liked the Berg IP112ER's voicing just a smidge better.

I'm hoping for no more GAS this year. But last year was really educational. :)

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1391377231' post='2356556']
Heh, got it in the spree of trying new things last year. The CN112 sounds better to me than the HD112 and pairs well with the Bergie IP112ER. At home, I wasn't enamoured of the CN112, but in the band context it was awesome with the SL 900.

My GAS is spent, at least until I've tried out a fearless F112....lol

I still can't quite part with my Acme B1 either. To many gigs on it over the last 4 years or so. The CN112 is what I needed though, same weight as the B1 but slightly bigger and definitely louder.

I can only say a CN212 must be pretty amazing.

I've played the Vanderkley 2 x 112MNT stack with my SL900, it sounded absolutely gorgeous. I was a bit 'meh' on a single 112MNT, but I never got it out to playing out live/with a band - at that point I preferred the Acme B2.

On the whole, 2 12" drivers I think sound better than 1. But an Acme Fullrange 12", Baer ML112, Fearful 12/6/1, or fearless F112 cab could potentially prove me wrong. I tried the Barefaced BB2, really great cab, but in the end I liked the Berg IP112ER's voicing just a smidge better.

I'm hoping for no more GAS this year. But last year was really educational. :)
[/quote] :) sounds fun year - a bit like me at the moment - but I don't have the $$ to actually buy loads of things - bit harder trying to work out what to get (and how much to justify spending)

Have a look at the Schroeder SP12's. Absolutely awesome. Light as a feather and by far the best cabs I've used so far...

They came shipped direct Schroeders in California but even with import tax etc they were well worth it and no more expensive than the other contenders out there.

I bought only stuff I could return (apart from the IP, which has good resale value and was a good deal). The stuff I couldn't return I tried out in shops.

The secondhand market here is by and large pretty good too, with a good chance to flip what doesn't work out.