Why become a member? ×

Overheard at rehearsal

Happy Jack

The Junkyard Dogs have decided to dust off Honky Tonk Women and re-introduce it to the setlist.

Happy Jack: [i]My cowbell is far deeper than the one on the record - Charlie Watts has a much higher tone with his[/i].

Paul The Drums: [i]Well, you can get cowbells of different sizes to give you different pitches[/i].

MacDaddy: [i]Maybe he's using a vealbell[/i].

:D

It surprises me just how many audience members delight in the sound of a cow bell. Quite often at DefunkT gigs, there is much wooping and cheering when the cowbell is unleashed during Gaga's Bad Romance.

the tin whistle causes a similar reaction in Groove is in the Heart.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1390380090' post='2344596']It surprises me just how many audience members delight in the sound of a cow bell. [/quote]

Too right. One of our vocalists, Fedal, (who's also a great drummer) always introduces our cover of "Lady Marmalade" with a improvised cowbell intro. He calls it the "funkiest instrument of all time" and in his hands, he has a point.

You can never have enough cowbell.

Discussions about keyboard sounds in my old band used to go round in circles with the drummer complaining that they weren't exactly like the original.

In the end we came to a compromise that we'd stick with the best of the sounds on the keyboard and make the songs slightly different sounding to the original. This worked quite well, using piano, Hammond, and strings only.

However, the drummer still made passing remarks about the keys player buying a new keyboard with better sounds.

Until, we did Honky Tonk Woman, when the tables were turned. "You need to buy a different cowbell, that's not what it sounds like on the record..."

Then the bell at the beginning of baggy trousers...

Ha!

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1390396176' post='2344860']
Yup thats what I do, drummer for some reason can't get the cowbell rythmn and the drum pattern going at the same time.

Does this mean I'm a drummer? :blink:
[/quote]

Hah..! Delusions of grandeur or self-flattery..? :lol:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:147744]

Edited by Dad3353