Why become a member? ×

Mundane plodding.

xgsjx

It is about balance, surely. I can get off on a very straight bass line on the occasional tune but, all night? No chance. Some of it is personality; I just cannot do the straight eighths thing all night and stay interested in the gig. I could do it for one gig or a couple maybe but, after that, I would loose my enthusiasm for the music being played and, eventually, walk away. Yes, of course it is about the song but, if all of the songs 'require' that kind of bass line, I am going to quickly come to dislike the lack of contrast in the songs as much as I do the lack of interest in the basslines :lol: !!!

Surely bass players create the 'groove' which makes people want to dance - hell even Leonard Cohen has a groove player in Roscoe Beck. The groove player locks in with the drums and other rythmn section instruments to create the feel behind or underpinning the song.

And the groove needs to be appropriate for the song.

There's no problem in my mind with a groove being a simple line but a plodding one is a bit much and they do exist I think. A groove might also be a complex one. However I do have a problem with note counters who know nothing about the function of the bass and merely see it as a subset of the six string - there are far too many bedroom singers who accompany themselves, say on guitar or keyboard, who have to really learn about playing 'ensemble' - some never make that jump - some do.

I find listening to music without a groove unrewarding and tiresome in most cases - but that's just my preference and probably why I play bass - when I encounter note counters it's as tiresome as railway enthusiasts who are also rivet counters (I'm a bit of the former but definitely not the latter btw).

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1389798814' post='2338028']
I think the problem is playing boring songs not boring basslines. Simple basslines in a great song don't bug me as much a complex bassline in a boring song.
[/quote]

Nail on the head right here.

It always amuses me to see people get so fiery about "playing for the song" as if there's no place for having a bit of fun with your instrument. Reeks of insecurity to me.

Each to their own though, I suppose everyone has their own goals and objectives with their playing.

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1389818029' post='2338338']

Nail on the head right here.

It always amuses me to see people get so fiery about "playing for the song" as if there's no place for having a bit of fun with your instrument. Reeks of insecurity to me.

Each to their own though, I suppose everyone has their own goals and objectives with their playing.
[/quote]

I'm kind of in both camps. It's certainly a well overused phrase.

Most bass lines write themselves though. Traditionally, once the melody is written you've got very few options; root, root-fifth, unison, counterpoint, then you've got approach notes to chords. It's why we're bass players and you can spot a guitar player playing bass, we usually pick lines automatically without thinking.

Try coming up with an original line that fits a song without using one of the above. It's hard.

Well, it is for me ;)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1389820205' post='2338371']
I'm kind of in both camps. It's certainly a well overused phrase.

Most bass lines write themselves though. Traditionally, once the melody is written you've got very few options; root, root-fifth, unison, counterpoint, then you've got approach notes to chords. It's why we're bass players and you can spot a guitar player playing bass, we usually pick lines automatically without thinking.

Try coming up with an original line that fits a song without using one of the above. It's hard.

Well, it is for me ;)
[/quote]

Very good point, I recorded with my newest band at the weekend and the singer/guitarist heard what I`d put to one of his songs, was happy with it, but said on his original demo he played it a different way. He was locking in with the guitar rhythm whereas I was locking in with the drums (kick drum mainly).

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1389820205' post='2338371']
I'm kind of in both camps.

... you can spot a guitar player playing bass, we usually pick lines automatically without thinking.

Well, it is for me ;)
[/quote]

+1

I've been depping for a band over Christmas & New Year and both guitarists mentioned the very same about my playing - the previous three "bass players" they used all migrated from guitar and would kinda emulate what the guitarist was doing and that it all sounded a bit disjointed, rather than play what they considered to be a more natural bass line, locking in with the drums as Lozz said.

My favourite players fall inbetween - there is always a place for roots in 4's, but there is also a place for melody. I try and make sure I get a bit of each in my playing - I have been told that I'm a busy player, but not really been told off for being intrusive. A nice interesting bassline, locked in well with the drummer and rhythm guitar is the goal. Don't get in the way of the others, keep to your frequency space and everyone's happy.

I also very rarely venture much further up the neck than the 12th fret. There is no reason for bass soloing. That's just ridiculous.

I think the biggest problem in playing in a covers band is not becoming fed up with playing the same songs week after week, and I guess one way around that is to start adding parts to the song to make it interesting.

But, take two bands mentioned earlier, ZZ Top and U2, I've seen both play live several times and I don't remember Adam Clayton or Dusty Hill messing around with the bass line to "Still Haven't Found..." or "Gimme All Your Lovin'"? And they must have played those songs many, many more times than I have.

When I play that ZZ Top song I'm interested in one thing only, I switch on a bit of distortion, lock into the drummer and that groove and concentrate on giving the guitarists the best possible backing to make them sound good, which in turn makes the whole band sound great. That's all there is to it, anything else is a waste of time, and your audience won't thank you for it.

Saying that, we put 'Drive' by The Cars into the set a few months back, and I quickly become tired of it so started putting in some fills and lines, but only where it fitted with a lyric or vocal part, and surprisingly enough it worked, the guitarists loved it and it gets a good reaction from a crowd... usually.

We play 'Just Got Paid' by ZZTop. There are a few bars of driven sixteenths where you have to be right on top of the beat or the song drags. Then there are huge sections of unison and close harmony. It's a pig of a song!

Just listened to Rush's Counterparts album last night. Again some sections of some songs are sixteenth notes. From Geddy!!!!???

Edited by TimR

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1389749737' post='2337603']
You need to decide if you are a bassist or a musician. You have to train your mind to make decisions that go against your need for adoration and learn to enjoy it. The band, the singer and the songwriter are the priorities, NOT the individual backing musicians.
[/quote]

For me it's way, way more satisfying when someone comes up after a gig and says how much they enjoyed the band, the songs or the performance. That's what it's all about, not how awesome (or not) we are as musicians.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1389740858' post='2337530']
You know, mostly straight 8s.
[/quote]

These type of basslines have their advantages: if you also use open strings while playing them, your fretting hand is left free to use for a multitude of other tasks.

For instance: taking a quick swig of your beverage of choice, picking your nose, flicking bogeys at the drummer, scratching your nads, waving to members of the audience, fiddling with the knobs on your amp, fiddling with your own knob, adjusting your coiffure, throwing gang signs to your homies.... The list is almost endless!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1389749737' post='2337603']
'PLODDING' is such a f***ing ugly word.

One thing I've learned over the four years I've been in Kit Richardson's band is that less really is SO MUCH MORE. I used to try to be 'clever' and the thing is, the songs need the frequencies, the essence of bass, the richness and rhythm. Not a load of auld ballocks from a bassist who thinks he will get respect or self-worth from slinging in twiddly bellend sh*t every few bars.

You need to decide if you are a bassist or a musician. You have to train your mind to make decisions that go against your need for adoration and learn to enjoy it. The band, the singer and the songwriter are the priorities, NOT the individual backing musicians.

The OP needs to flip reverse it.
[/quote]

This. If more bassists/guitarists/drummers had this outlook music would be better for it. There are quite a few local bands whereby the music is kind of ruined for me by one member hugely overplaying. I play with a drummer that does it and it pisses me off every gig!

A lot of my last band's songs had simple basslines where it could be straight 8s or just holding a root note, but then there was some songs that the bass was playing something more melodic or required a good bit of practice to get to tempo.
It's one thing to play less & make the song groove, but for me to play straight 8 basslines in every song I think plodding is the right word.
Variety is what's required.

BTW, I'd also hate to be in an AC/DC tribute band, but I enjoy playing a couple of their songs.

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1389973013' post='2340186']
These type of basslines have their advantages: if you also use open strings while playing them, your fretting hand is left free to use for a multitude of other tasks.

For instance: taking a quick swig of your beverage of choice, picking your nose, flicking bogeys at the drummer, scratching your nads, waving to members of the audience, fiddling with the knobs on your amp, fiddling with your own knob, adjusting your coiffure, throwing gang signs to your homies.... The list is almost endless!
[/quote]
Now I like your thinking! :D