Why become a member? ×

Mundane plodding.

xgsjx

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1389775610' post='2337669']
What about Status Quo and ZZ Top? I love playing that stuff.

Add me to the list of plodders, I'd be happy to be mentioned in the same breath as these guys..
[/quote]

That's part of what I was trying to find out. How many of us enjoy playing a simple dum dum dum dum for every song & not having anything melodic to play?
I don't, but I don't expect everyone to be the same. I have a lot of songs in my repertoire that are simple straight 8, no frills bass parts & I enjoy playing them, but it would bore me to do it in every song.
Now I know I mentioned U2 as one of the bands, but Adam does have some very melodic simple basslines that are fun to play too.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1389778394' post='2337698']

That's part of what I was trying to find out. How many of us enjoy playing a simple dum dum dum dum for every song & not having anything melodic to play?
I don't, but I don't expect everyone to be the same. I have a lot of songs in my repertoire that are simple straight 8, no frills bass parts & I enjoy playing them, but it would bore me to do it in every song.
Now I know I mentioned U2 as one of the bands, but Adam does have some very melodic simple basslines that are fun to play too.
[/quote]

Not in every song. But as mentioned above, hardly any songs are just Dum, Dum, Dum, Dum.

If you don't play them right you'll lose the drive and energy. Listen to a computer playing a midi song that hasn't been groove quantised (or whatever they're calling it now).

Besides if you're just playing roots it gives you a chance to do other stuff, move around, look at the audience more, sing bv.

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1389775095' post='2337666']
There's an art to 'plodding' away holding down 4's or 8's. Anyone who thinks it's beneath them as a bass player to play these kind of parts is serioulsly missing out. The notes may be simple but it's all about making it drive/swing/groove/bounce (delete where applicable) which is where the skill and fun comes in.
[/quote]

Yes.In my case it's more belting along at 360 bpm and playing chords and diads to make sure the roaring noise doesn't get hollow when the guitarist does a solo, but that sums it up for me.

Conversation at a recent local pub gig ,bassist is all widdlywiddlytwangwiddlyoverhanddoubletapYEAHwiddly, and someone in the audience shouts out "Play me something I can dance to".

The majorly commercial stuff seems to be fairly simple - it`s easier on the ear, and requires less actual listening to. Maybe this is why the bass - and guitars - are fairly simple, but the vocal melodies carry the songs. After all it`s the singers that sell the songs, no matter how clever we instrumentalists are. And people showing how clever their chops are on their given instrument can get in the way of the vox.

When I was a teenager I used to have quite militant views on "plodding." 20 years on and the experience of playing in originals bands, rock covers bands, ceilidh bands and more, as well as having depped quite a bit has mellowed my views a lot.

I played in a rocked up ceilidh band for 10 years playing simple folk tunes. This does not need Flea influenced funk grooves, it needs drive, lift and life (centring on 3 or 4 chords) this can all be achieved very well with nothing but root notes.

I was once asked to get up with a friend who wanted to do Still haven't found what I'm looking for, at an open mic. Without that very simple "Dum, Dum, Dum, der-daa-daa" bass line what does the song have?

I have to hold my hand up and say I often put the odd fill in on Dakota that was never there on the original recording. But it's filling in a bit of space where there should be another guitar part that is missing so it actually helps. If it was making the song worse I wouldn't do it nor would i if I was in a bona fide Stereophocis trib as in the OP's ad. Part of the freedom of being in a general covers as opposed to trib act for me. The audience don't seem to mind a jot and sing away at the tops of their lungs so can't be all that bad. If there was one song I'd drop from the list at the moment it would be that, played it with at least 3 of my last 4 or 5 bands now.

As a bass player in a band you are always going to be a supporting instrument, not the dominant sound. I always think of the bass part being the foundation of the song/tune, everything else sits on top. A simple well played line will always sound better than an overly fussy mumble, thats not really contributing to the overall tune.
Of course this is not law, bass can be a lead instrument in a group setting, although personally I don't really think this works.

Good songs frequently add up to more than the sum of their parts (and none moreso than the bass lines). The best musicians I've ever played with have known what not to play and when to back off. The worst have always been about emptying their bag of tricks at every available opportunity. I'd often like to be a bit more challenged with the bass parts I play but know deep inside that my job is to provide the platform, not the bunting.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1389742496' post='2337563']
But could you play Stereophonics songs constantly without thinking "could we drop in a spot of Muse"?
[/quote]

The last thing I would want to do with any song I was playing would be "drop in a bit of Muse".
Why would anybody want to spoil a nice simple but tasty meal by stirring dog sh*t into it?

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1389785505' post='2337793']
The last thing I would want to do with any song I was playing would be "drop in a bit of Muse".
Why would anybody want to spoil a nice simple but tasty meal by stirring dog sh*t into it?
[/quote]
Aaand the Best Chortle Of The Day award goes to.. :D

Decades ago, I used to loathe the idea of root-fifth on the 1 and 3. Then I got a Bluegrass gig.. it's the perfect bassline!

Maybe there is a sub conscious desire to be allowed to show off our chops occasionally- guitarists get to do it all the time whereas generally bass players rarely step into the limelight.

I remember going to watch a country band at a function several years ago, the bass player sat there all night playing root-fifth. At the end of the night they did a little intro to all of the players in the band and all of them played a little solo. The bass player then proceeded to show off some serious chops for about 15 seconds before going back to the old Root-Fifth routine.

I'm not a fan of Deep Purple but when the bass comes in on the intro to Smoke On The Water the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, even after all this time. I can take or leave the rest of the number, but that intro....

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1389775095' post='2337666']
There's an art to 'plodding' away holding down 4's or 8's. Anyone who thinks it's beneath them as a bass player to play these kind of parts is serioulsly missing out. The notes may be simple but it's all about making it drive/swing/groove/bounce (delete where applicable) which is where the skill and fun comes in.
[/quote]
So true.

I've found one thing that helps, as obvious as it sounds, is having a tone that lends itself to more simple playing (IME usually a nice big tone that you can sit on or hammer away at).

[quote name='CHW' timestamp='1389785958' post='2337802']
I remember going to watch a country band at a function several years ago, the bass player sat there all night playing root-fifth. At the end of the night they did a little intro to all of the players in the band and all of them played a little solo. The bass player then proceeded to show off some serious chops for about 15 seconds before going back to the old Root-Fifth routine.
[/quote]

Since stumbling across Bill Kirchen last year, I've become a fan of Maurice Cridlin - a classic exponent of that sort of casual chuck-it-in-once-in-the-entire-gig brilliance.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uruKAmkNhtg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uruKAmkNhtg[/url]

Also a genuinely lovely guy.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1389781088' post='2337737']
The majorly commercial stuff seems to be fairly simple - it`s easier on the ear, and requires less actual listening to. Maybe this is why the bass - and guitars - are fairly simple, but the vocal melodies carry the songs. After all it`s the singers that sell the songs, no matter how clever we instrumentalists are. And people showing how clever their chops are on their given instrument can get in the way of the vox.
[/quote]

I reckon that about sums it up. A band full of soloists would be a bit of a mess and its usually the vocalist who is the soloist, backed up by everyone else, with the occasional instrumental solo thrown in for variety. A band [u]should[/u] be greater than the sum of its parts, shouldn't it?

Other genres are available though. ;)

I'm totally with the OP here. I know how to play the bass well if I'm playing on other people's music, but I find it boring as f*** most of them time (depending on the song I guess). When I get to play in a band, which is very rare, it's always stuff that's very interesting to play. Not fret-w***ing at all, just interesting rythms and plenty of opportunity for playing more than just what's required.