Why become a member? ×

I Really Really Really Really Really want a Wal

artisan

I watched Spandau Ballet on Sky Arts 1 last night & fell in love with Martin Kemp's Mk2 Wal bass,it is gorgeous to look at & sounded amazing.
I want one so bad it hurts
can't bloody well affort one though :(
I was never a fan of the band but thought they were pretty good & he is a pretty decent bass player too.
I am sure he would really like to give me his bass for Christmas :)

Yep, I'm firmly in the really, really, really, really, really want a Wal camp as well... Thing is I want a MK3 6er.

I've sorted out with Paul what I want... and a price... I just can't bring myself to sign up for the 18 months I've been quoted for him to make it. So now I'm just waiting in hope that what I want comes up second hand somewhere... I have faith BC will come up with one for me eventually...

I know what you mean
Sometimes you just want a bass so badly......
It'll probably niggle at you for a while
but maybe you need to play one for a while?

Do you know anyone who's got one, and will let you have a play for a bit?
It could lead to a realisation that maybe you don't need one as much as you think

It could of course make you want one even more
But if the only way you could get one was to sell that lovely blue DB of yours.....
.... no contest! The DB is far better than any bass guitar! ;)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1387291556' post='2310326']
Yep, I'm firmly in the really, really, really, really, really want a Wal camp as well... Thing is I want a MK3 6er.

I've sorted out with Paul what I want... and a price... I just can't bring myself to sign up for the 18 months I've been quoted for him to make it. So now I'm just waiting in hope that what I want comes up second hand somewhere... I have faith BC will come up with one for me eventually...
[/quote]
i hope you manage to find one matey as i'm sure an 18 month wait would be a nightmare,but a worth while one.
I don't think i will ever be in a position to buy one ..... Oh woe is me ..... Sob sob ...

I wonder if anyone wants to but a pickled kidney :)

Edited by artisan

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1387292592' post='2310348']
i hope you manage to find one matey as i'm sure an 18 month wait would be a nightmare...
[/quote]

Thing is, If I'd have ordered it when I got the quote two months ago it'd only be 16 months now.... Maybe after the christmas madness I'll take the plunge...

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1387292592' post='2310348']
I wonder if anyone wants to but a pickled kidney :)
[/quote]

I already have two of those....

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1387292380' post='2310346']

It could of course make you want one even more
But if the only way you could get one was to sell that lovely blue DB of yours.....
.... no contest! The DB is far better than any bass guitar! ;)
[/quote]
now there's an idea :)

Lol i think i'd rather sell a kidney :)

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1387290644' post='2310297']
I watched Spandau Ballet on Sky Arts 1 last night & fell in love with Martin Kemp's Mk2 Wal bass,it is gorgeous to look at & sounded amazing.
I want one so bad it hurts
can't bloody well affort one though :(
I was never a fan of the band but thought they were pretty good & he is a pretty decent bass player too.
I am sure he would really like to give me his bass for Christmas :)
[/quote]

A Wal is a bass that is worth really, really wanting . They are one of the few very expensive basses that are actually worth the money

However,despite the revered status they hold nowadays, they are pretty esoteric and individualistic instruments and definitely not for everybody, so don't necessarily assume that a Wal would be your Holy Grail. But it probably would be .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1387293464' post='2310362']
... they are pretty esoteric and individualistic instruments and definitely not for everybody, so don't necessarily assume that a Wal would be your Holy Grail.
[/quote]

Fair comment, though the pre-amp is so flexible that you can make a Wal do most of the sounds you'll ever need. They're heavy mind, my Mk.II fiver weighs exactly 5Kg which is nothing to some people, but too much for me!

I'd certainly back Dingus on this though, don't go placing an 18-month order for a bass if you haven't already played one fairly extensively and know that it will really suit you. This is no P-bass ...

A guy I know bought a Mk1 for his 80's tribute band recently. He couldn't get to grips with it at first. The 'tone' knobs baffled him. Now? He loves it and uses it over his Status every night. I took mine on stage the night after getting it. I will forget the feeling of excitement I got hearing the incredible BIG sound of the E string as I slapped it to Frankie Goes to Hollywood's 'RELAX'. this was 1984.
I recall the sound man drooling afterwards. I simply said, " That is why they cost so much " I was in love! ( It was £630 new from the factory)

Edited by leftyhook

The only bass I've heard at a sound check and gone 'what the f*** is that!?', was a Wal MK2. It was in a grungy music pub. I had my back to the stage and was leaving the venue when I heard the bassist soundchecking and ran back to find out what he was playing.

No new bass (as opposed to a collectible antique) is worth four grand though. People who own them inevitably have a bank balance that far outweighs their actual talent.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1387294267' post='2310373']
Fair comment, though the pre-amp is so flexible that you can make a Wal do most of the sounds you'll ever need. They're heavy mind, my Mk.II fiver weighs exactly 5Kg which is nothing to some people, but too much for me!

I'd certainly back Dingus on this though, don't go placing an 18-month order for a bass if you haven't already played one fairly extensively and know that it will really suit you. This is no P-bass ...
[/quote]

I personally think Wal basses sound so good that they should satisfy just about anybody, with the addendum that if you want to sound like a Fender or a Music Man ect then look elsewhere at a very different kind of bass. Wals sound unique, but are incredibly flexible within that distinct character. They just sound" right" to me. I honestly think that people who don't like the sound of Wal basses are a bit weird . I would buy a Wal over a Fodera, any day .

They are indeed usually pretty heavy, but they can build you a lighter one on request and it will pretty much sound the same . The standard neck shape is pretty chunky by most standards, too. Despite being superbly well-made , I would also have to say that a Wal is a bass that is pretty finicky and slightly temperamental and needs periodic servicing to work at peak performance. However , the same can be said for a lot of top-flight basses.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1387296903' post='2310413']
Why did you have to start this thread... Now I've been forced to ask Paul if my quote from Two months ago is still valid....
[/quote]
haha go one get it ordered,you know you want too :)
I would if i could afford it

I'm in the lucky situation of having bought a mutant fretless Wal that I'm going to fix up/restore to my own specifications, likely with an East pre-amp although I'm undecided about PUPs. I loved my old MK1 to play but wasn't the greatest fan of the tone, which was to my ear a little synthetic. Perhaps I simply never got to grips with the pre-amp?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1387293464' post='2310362']
A Wal is a bass that is worth really, really wanting . They are one of the few very expensive basses that are actually worth the money

However,despite the revered status they hold nowadays, they are pretty esoteric and individualistic instruments and definitely not for everybody, so don't necessarily assume that a Wal would be your Holy Grail. But it probably would be .
[/quote]
I know from historical Wal ownership that this is the truth.

I have to agree with you all. I spent a day noodling in guitar shops recently with the idea of relieving one of them of a Musicman Sabre - of which I tried 3 - all rather nice BUT they had a Wal and horror of horrors I tried it - it was absolutely fabulous and I now want a Mk 1 quite badly - I always loved the sound Alan Spenner and Percy Jones got from theirs.

And whoever said this ain't no P bass is quite right - the next bass I played was a v expensive sonic blue P which looked the nuts - but sounded like sh** in comparison and with those covers in place was really quite difficult to play. My last noodling of the day was on a 78 Ray which was rather nice - and reminded me why Fender basses became almost extinct in the late 70s/80s.

But the Wal is in different league and is most definitely on my GAS radar now........bloody expensive though - but fantastic basses.