Why become a member? ×

Quo in BBC 2 Tonight

seashell

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1384074521' post='2272385']
Really poor documentary I thought - based on two long chats with Rossi and Parfitt rather than actual events. And Cliff? WTF?

Elvis Costello document previous night was rather more thoughtfully put together.
[/quote]
The version of Hello Quo shown on BBC2 was an edit from the original DVD. The full DVD is a really excellent documentary and if you have the bonus disc there is even more great stuff on there making it well worth while. Whats wrong with having Sir Cliff on there anyway ??

Grew up with an older brother in the 70's who was a big quo fan, he got all the albums as they came out so I was well versed in the back catalog from an early age. Missed the programme but will probably be on iplayer or somewhere to catch up with later. I think I mentioned their latest album in another thread somewhere. Theres a bit of carry over from the previous album and as it is linked up with the film there are naturally some compromises but theres some interesting and quite heavy 'dark' stuff (for them) going on in places,worth a listen.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1384078528' post='2272422']
Whats wrong with having Sir Cliff on there anyway ??
[/quote]
Nothing against Cliff, but his appearance seemed an excuse to put a famous name in there when there was so much wasn't said about the band's story.

What about, to name but one example, the original organist (Roy Lynes) who appeared in the early pics and VT and disappeared without even being name checked?

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1384093786' post='2272631']
Nothing against Cliff, but his appearance seemed an excuse to put a famous name in there when there was so much wasn't said about the band's story.

What about, to name but one example, the original organist (Roy Lynes) who appeared in the early pics and VT and disappeared without even being name checked?
[/quote]

Sort of felt the same about Weller - "OK chaps, how do we give Quo a bit of credibility for the documentary"? (Love Quo btw, but agree with Michael, and felt the documentary was very poor, esp in light of some of the stuff we've been getting on BBC4 of late).

Loved the old footage, but found the reunion clips made for a bit uncomfortable viewing.
Alan Lancaster looked frail and a bit too eager to please everyone. Also looking at Rossi's body language/eye contact especially
towards Alan, it looked like he hasn't really buried the hatchet. Maybe the unedited version paints a different picture.

Interesting up to a point I thought, that point being when they turned from a fine rock 'n roll band into a bunch of blokes rolling from one publicity stunt to another; it's only when all these stunts, including the Frantic Four reunion, are compressed into a documentary like this. I notice they left out the recent film (yet another PR stunt) shenanigans in Fiji.

What seems to have been left out was the truth behind their change in musical direction from the Pictures of Matchstick Men/Ice in the Sun to the 12 bar merchants they became. The Man Band did a demo of Down The Dustpipe for a music company and Rossi & Co basically covered it note for note including the style; Roadhouse Blues (as cited by them in the documentary) didn't appear on an album until Piledriver, 2 years after Dustpipe.

If you watch the DVD Francis and Alan get on really well. there's a good segment on the bonus disc that shows them going around their childhood homes etc. Francis actually says that he and Alan are getting along well again now.Rick's body language on the other hand makes him look like he's not as keen on the reunion.Either way it's good to see them put their differences aside and play live together again. In their heyday they were the hardest rocking live band I ever saw , got to love a bit of Quo !!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1384094168' post='2272635']
Sort of felt the same about Weller - "OK chaps, how do we give Quo a bit of credibility for the documentary"? [/quote]

Weller and Parfitts fathers knew each other well, played a lot of cards together. Parfitt loaned gear to Weller when he was getting The Jam together (some of which he never got back), think Rossi knew them in their early days too and was encouraging.