Why become a member? ×

Hello, I am an immigrant

aalam

Hello, I am an immigrant not only in this country but also in Bass-land.

I am actually new to playing music except for that Casio Keyboard I had when I was little with which I learned to play happy birthday and chariots of fire.

I am so newbie that when I was registering to the forum and got the security question (to check that you are actually a human being and not a bot) "Name the famous bass designer: oLe nedFer (anagram)", I had to google "famous bass designers".

I got this used bass a couple of months ago, and a used amp shortly after. I started practicing and inventing bass lines even before having the bass tuned, which I had after bying a tuner.

I am in my 30s. I regret that I didn't start playing earlier in life. When I was 25 I was like "I am too old to start playing, my parents should have pushed me to music lessons when I was a kid". How stupid I was. But now I am happy that I've gone for it. I am totally in love with it. Not with my actual instrument itself (LTD ESP 50B), but rather with playing. It's so addictive. Now I'm like "where have you been all my life?"

And that's my story.

[quote name='aalam' timestamp='1383244924' post='2262117']Hello, I am an immigrant not only in this country but also in Bass-land...[/quote]

Good evening, aalam, and welcome to the forum...

I too am an immigrant (I live in France...); I am also more a drummer than a bass player. All of us here (without exception...) started off as you have done; some earlier than others. Jump right in, ask all those 'dumb' questions, make a fool of yourself as we have all done (and continue to do..!).
Enjoy...

Here's another immigrant who's celebrating the 20th anniversary of her landing in this hallowed country with a one-way ticket in her hand, and exactly two years since joining Basschat. (And I started playing bass when I was over 40.)
Welcome Aalam, you're certainly not alone here, from any point of view :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1383257982' post='2262393']
...but I'd watch your language, or you'll 'ave the mods after you..! :rolleyes:

:lol:
[/quote]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1383299875' post='2262708']
There is if you know where to look. :mellow:
[/quote]

Freudian slip.

Yesterday I asked for an americano and I got a capuccino instead. But deep inside, what I really wanted was a capuccino, so maybe I did ask for a capuccino after all.

Welcome aalam :)

I started playing when I was about 19
but then I got married, had a kid, got a mortgage etc etc
I gave up playing after about 4 or 5 years

But hey presto...... I started playing again after over 20 years! :o

I do sort of regret ever giving up
but I'm determined not to do that ever again....
And I'm enjoying my playing more in my middle ages than I ever did before

It's never too late to start mate....
Just have fun playing bass

Marc