Why become a member? ×

I'll probably regret this...

Bassassin

Gentlemen - I genuinely do not know what to say. I am honestly deeply touched by this welcome - I guess it's hard to appreciate sometimes how meaningful friendships developed online can become. Thank you all.

I don't want to talk too much about where I was in my life at the time I "disappeared" but a short explanation is deserved. Those who know more about me than the obsession with Oriental Offal will know I'd been dealing with some huge & emotionally debilitating family issues since October 2006. Those came to a head around mid-2011, when I effectively lost every battle I'd been fighting & had to come to terms with the reality that the most important relationship in my life (my daughter Anya) was over, with absolutely no going back. My instinct was to withdraw from everything - music, work, friendships, my "online life" and try to come to terms & heal. Looking back I think I can only thank my partner Karen for the fact I'm alive now - I don't think I'd have got through it, and arrived at the place I am now without her. :wub:

Anyway, life is about looking forward and bugger the burned bridges. The last couple of years haven't all been sh*t - I have been quite motivated to indulge myself to cheer myself up on a regular basis and while I've had no bass GAS (up til now) I've spent too much money on other toys. I hope my new bike will amuse you when I get around to revealing it. And no, it ain't JapCrap. :D

I'm still writing & recording, very occasionally gigging - and I have to say I'm delighted with the new music. I like to think it's what Todd Rundgren called "The Ever-Popular Tortured Artist Effect". The downside is that I'm finding myself less & less tolerant of mediocrity and that gives me concerns about the future of my band and the friendships therein. Oh well. :rolleyes:

I think I might have forgotten a thing or two about JapCrap over the last couple of years so do feel free to point & laugh. :)

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1382710214' post='2255757']
Looking back I think I can only thank my partner Karen for the fact I'm alive now - I don't think I'd have got through it, and arrived at the place I am now without her. :wub:
[/quote]

Please thank Karen from us (or atleast me) for looking after you :)

Thanks to Karen, you have re-joined the fold.:)
It seems that already there are many here glad of your return and I'm sure
many more will chip in.

I am wondering if you would consider being taking up a new position on here
as Captain Jap and leaving behind Captain Jap Crap?

I, for one, have a few high quality Japanese instruments, from the Classic period,
as do many others on here and as your knowledge extended into that area, it would
seem more appropriate to drop the [i]crap! [/i]
You, I'm sure, will still cover all that is Plywood and Plastic but there are also
all that is great, from Japan.

Whadayathink?? :)

Another thing. . . . Note to all of us on here - perhaps not bombard Jon with all
the questions we have been dying to ask. . . . . all at once. Yeah?

Now, where's my list. . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers. :)

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1382720958' post='2255982']
you were appointed Captain Oriental in your absence.
[/quote]
[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1382718468' post='2255924']
I have no idea who you are...
[/quote]
Me neither... :ph34r:

J.

Thank you to everyone who's chipped in since my last response - your good wishes, welcomes and concern for my wellbeing are most sincerely appreciated - do you still get that :notworthy: smiley? :) It's interesting - after the sh!tstorm of the last few years, I can honestly say that I'm in a better place than I can remember being in many years. I'm here to tell you that the secret to a contented, positive and optimistic existence is an uncomplicated life.

Anyway a couple of responses. Eric - I've never considered "JapCrap" to be a pejorative term, it's a leftover from a youth spent tear-arsing around on Suzukis and Yamahas and playing Aria Pros, Washburns & Ibanezes, and unfortunately it continues to amuse me! They weren't crap in the 80s and even many of the early plywood horrors are oddly collectable now. I'd have trouble dropping the nomenclature from my language - along with YankW@nk, KoreaDiarrhoea and of course BritSh!t. :D

Speaking of which... pete.young - no, it most certainly isn't! My profile pic might be a bit of a giveaway, however, and I strongly suspect I might have attracted less derision with an All-American Clown Bike! :lol:

J.

Ok so whats wrong with Harley's then ?
"all American clown bike" whats all that about ?

I ride & love my Harley,i used to ride sports bikes like a lunatic until one near fatality too many,i still like sports bikes i just don't want to ride one ever again.
So it really pisses me off when "fast" bikers slag of anything that isn't built for speed.
But its ok you are just joking eh :)

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1382974293' post='2258636']
Ok so whats wrong with Harley's then ?
"all American clown bike" whats all that about ?

I ride & love my Harley,i used to ride sports bikes like a lunatic until one near fatality too many,i still like sports bikes i just don't want to ride one ever again.
So it really pisses me off when "fast" bikers slag of anything that isn't built for speed.
But its ok you are just joking eh :)
[/quote]
Wow. That's a whole load of assumptions about me right there. Apart from the joking bit.

Aside from the agonising oversensitivity and defensiveness of their riders, I don't have anything against Harleys in particular or [s]clown bikes[/s] sorry, cruisers in general. Don't think I'd ever own a Harley but I like some of them - the XR was a serious lump of metal & some of the V Rods can look pretty cool if they're not overdone. Never ridden one though so I don't claim to have an informed opinion.

I've had quite a few bikes but never had - or wanted - a "proper" sports bike, my current bike's a 955i Speed Triple. Theoretically it's pretty quick but the reality is that the wind blast over 80 mph conspires to either rip your arms out of their sockets or just blow you off the back. It does quite like bends though.

J.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1382994251' post='2258983']
Alright alright, less BikeChat and more BassChat.
[/quote]
OK, OK - or go [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/17518-so-who-rides-motorbikes-then/page__view__findpost__p__2258991"]here[/url] and rip as hard as you want! :D

J.