Why become a member? ×

If cost was no object, which bass?

AM1

Reading this thread with great interest , I have owned and got rid of due to lack of enchantment ( or indeed still own) a fair few of these ultimate money-no-object basses folks are mentioning . I am still miserable. I hope this offers all of you some small consolation .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1382300235' post='2250440']
I'm very happy with what I've got, but I'd quite like a 1963 P Bass, sunburst/tort/rosewood. All original w/case. Clay dots, etc. etc.
Even though I don't like sunburst. Or tort. Or rosewood... and an Ampeg SVT CL/Classic 8X10. And someone to carry it all.

See? If money was no object I'd be wasting it left right and centre. :)
[/quote]

A few years ago I went out with the money in my pocket to buy exactly what you describe as the ultimate P Bass , and eventually came home with an straight out of the box 2009 American Standard Precision Bass and most of my money still intact , because I thought the new bass was better all round . I'd still love an SVT rig , though, preferably a vintage one that breaks down all the time .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1382305125' post='2250535']
In much the same boat, with my BC Rich Eagle.

Would love a year-of-birth Mockingbird, mind. That would probably be my wallet-burster.
[/quote]

If you ever think about actually buying a Mockingbird, Gus, I would strongly recommend trying it on a strap before you part with any money . In my experience , they are one of the most badly balanced and uncomfortable basses ever. You are much better off with your Eagle in terms of playability . A Mockingbird does look amazing , though :) .

A 32" headless five string with a decent B string, 24 frets, 16mm string spacing (at the bridge). (Status probably make the closest thing to this - but unfortunately money is an object in real life)

If I were to be really extreme then Id say a twin neck fretted/fretless version of the above, but cleverly designed so that the two halves would disconnect and be played separately if required.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1382362108' post='2251155']

If you ever think about actually buying a Mockingbird, Gus, I would strongly recommend trying it on a strap before you part with any money . In my experience , they are one of the most badly balanced and uncomfortable basses ever. You are much better off with your Eagle in terms of playability . A Mockingbird does look amazing , though :) .
[/quote]

Yeah. I did have a cheaper, modern version - and the balance was hideous! Still, what a looker!

Koa Eagle would be nice, though. Now I have the cash, you never see them!

Got it already, A Bongo Dargie Delight in Logan Green (the one below).
That said, I'm a noob, and might change this quickly as I gain more experience. For example, the fretless StingRay 5 took me by storm, and I might switch to that one given some more practising.
Also, of my life's dream basses, I still have not owned a Longhorn 58, Rick, Mockingbird, Alembic, Streamer or Wal, so maybe one of them could be the one.

[url="http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/mm-bongo-hh-dargie-delight-_zpsa7e53372.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1382378549' post='2251493']

Koa Eagle would be nice, though. Now I have the cash, you never see them!
[/quote]

You can pick up the koa Eagles in the States for sensible money if you keep your eyes open . Those basses were made to last , so most of them have survived the last thirty or so years , but the electrics usually need a bit of a service ( as well as a PhD in electronic engineering to be able to understand them . ) I saw a pair of all original , fairly good condition Eagles , 78 koa and 79 maple respectively, for $1100 each in Atlanta last year.