Why become a member? ×

If cost was no object, which bass?

AM1

Over the years I've had a lot of tasty basses (and still have a few, which I hope to never have to part with), it's taken me a while but I've finally come to the conclusion that I definitely favour Fender Basses for playing live, and in particular the Jazz Bass, as I find them ergonomically comfortable to play and they always sit nicely/cut through the mix particularly well (IMO).

If money were no object I'd like a brace of old Jazz Basses please, one with rosewood/blocks/binding, the other with maple/blocks/binding - I'd really fancy a 3TSB with rosewood (the one Clarky had for sale was very tasty), but a nice custom colour for the maple, maybe Surf Green or Sea Foam Green.

I'd be quite happy with those thank you!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1382362108' post='2251155']
If you ever think about actually buying a Mockingbird, Gus, I would strongly recommend trying it on a strap before you part with any money . In my experience , they are one of the most badly balanced and uncomfortable basses ever. You are much better off with your Eagle in terms of playability . A Mockingbird does look amazing , though :) .
[/quote]

Mmmmm, well, YES, Mockingbirds try to commit suicide ALL the time, can't deny it, but Mock owners have learnt to use their forearms to balance the bass

The problem with Eagles, and I think Gusto owns my 2003 Customshop one, is, if you have muscular thighs, then sitting down with them is a nightmare, the lower point digs into your leg :-(

Edited by Lorne

If I had a spare £900 I'd buy this

This was originally mine. I bought it new in '83. Paid £399 for it from Livewire in Cardiff. Someone on this site used to work there and did post about it when I asked if anyone knew where it was.

It was a great playing bass, if a little heavy.

It's for sale again back home in the Mansons guitar shop

Edited by police squad

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1382305125' post='2250535']
In much the same boat, with my BC Rich Eagle.

[/quote]
Is that "Wonky" or have you acquired another? Fab bass.... B)

Already got my faves too, although wouldn't say no to a nice '60's Ric 4005 and a Gibson RD Artist CMT

• 2 weeks later...