Why become a member? ×

metallica.....

Id always thought of metallica as a leading thrash band of the genre.

Turns out I was wrong as Lars in today's metro has put me right "we're not par-t of a genre, we're not part of a wave...........we're our own entity completely autonomous".

Who knew?! I stand corrected and feel a little embarrassed that I thought they were part of the thrash movement!

Good ol Lars! :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1380611426' post='2227665']
I used to like them when I was about 13 and in to all that sort of stuff... kinda went off them during the cowboy hat phase...
[/quote]

Their cowboy hat phase, not mine :blink: ... I'm more of a fedora guy...

Edited by CamdenRob

I was in a Metallica cover band back in the day all good fun I loved their music & loved the Load/Re-Load stuff even more.

I just think they lost their way & are now more scared of the Metallica legend that they have become. at one time they were probably the biggest metal band in the world, then they made the worst mistake any band can make.....they became self aware & have never found that same energy that they used to make them who they were.

When I watched "Some kind of monster" I felt a little sad for them, it was like a soap opera type film of a band who used to be great.

Anyway back on subject: Lars has always had verbal sh*te-o-matica. His interviews should always be taken with a truck full of salt

Up to Master Of Puppets they were really in their own special place of absolute prefect thrash, and damn fine it was too.

Had they stuck with the same production team ([url="http://www.michaelwagener.com/html/discography.html"]Michael Wagener people, is an absolute monster of great guitar tones[/url], and he understood that bass has a place in rock way before the Black album) for And Justice it would likely have been as good as Master, but frankly Ive recorded better sounding heavy stuff on a four track, it had less balls than a girl guide choir. Utterly awful, such a pity. The Black album just wasnt thrash any more, but the production was better....

Lars has always been a cocky little tw*t who spoke utter sh**e from dawn till dusk, and beyond though :)

Edited by 51m0n

i was never a massive metallica fan but i enjoyed their earlier stuff.
just last week however i had the urge to check out some recent live dvd footage, just out of curiosity.
i was unpleasntly surprised when checking out the classic track 'the four horemen' one of my favorites from way back, it was appauling, no life to it at all and the vocal .... i dont know what has happened but this isnt the band i remember, i think i would get more enjoyment by watching a cover band and just to prove my point the following week we played a gig with solitary from the preston area, they did the same track and it was epic!
one of the best versions i have seen.
how do they continue to be so massive? i just dont get it.

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1380627220' post='2227988']
how do they continue to be so massive? i just dont get it.
[/quote]

Because they WERE absolutely fantastic. I'm still loving playing FWTBTolls and Creeping Death in my band, even the occasional blast through 'Sandman goes down well even though it's played out now.

Like a lot of other bands, the hunger goes and things are more cliched I guess.
Always been a fan. Saw them every tour from lightning onwards.

I think death magnetic is the nearest theyb are gonna get like the old stuff. Having said that, hate train is the only good track off the ep IMHO .

They are the biggest metal band of all time I would say.now they are Metallica the brand.

Will still go and see them indoors ,but I've seen it all before.
Trouble with metal now (and most here's o music)is formula..tattoos/attitude/lnothing original.

Apart from rammstein(who surely have the best stage show ever), I can't be bothered anymore .
Live that is. Will still checkout slayer and anthrax, but I've been there before.

Just shows how different we all are! I had heard some of their stuff and really enjoyed the Some Kind of Monster DVD.

Having now got all their CDs I've decided I only like their later stuff since James' voice was pushed further to the front of the mix. You can keep the early stuff as far as I'm concerned. I absolutely love The Unforgiven III.

Rammstein you say? Thanks for the tip!

Edited by Jacqueslemac

It's amazing how "..And Justice" has aged so well though, dodgy bass-less sound that it is: there's no aging it as it is so unique sounding.

I've not been an active fan since then - the Black album was okay-ish if you treated it as a Bon Jovi record rather than thrash metal, and now they're almost a parody of themselves.

I'd still act like a giggly schoolgirl if Hetfield came and said hello mind...

I loved the Black Album, Load was a disappointment and after that I lost interest. Now they seem as out of touch as multi-millionaire rock stars can be. That scene in Some Kind Of Monster where Lars is sat in a private suite sipping cocktails while his art collection sells for millions did it for me. Plus Kirk Hammett's recent comments that they can't afford to stop touring. How did that happen Kirk? Did you sp**k all your cash on Rogaine...?

I was a massive fan. Back when Thrash broke over here I got everything I could (some bought, some taped from mate's LPs etc - hey, I was 14) and my favourite of the 'Big 4' were 'tallica, including ...and justice for all. I just thought the lack of bass was down to my ageing turntable at the time. I much preferred them to Anthrax and Megadeth, and Slayer were just too heavy for me (back then).

I bought the Black album and loved it but i have to say that everything since then has been a parody of what they once were. Lars' drumming and Kirk's solos in particular seem like a flimsy pastiche of themselves.

Nowadays if I fancy a bit of thrash it's more than likely Slayer or Anthrax's 'Worship music', which is a superb album from a band that I've often thought of as a 'cartoon' thrash band.

I'm not a massive fan but you can't deny that they are such a huge entity (ie not a band, but a big massive business) that it is difficult to compare them to any of their contemporaries. In terms of popularity and levels of wealth, Metallica are closer to being Madonna or U2 than they are Megadeth. They did originally grow out of the thrash movement though and I am pretty sure that Lars is aware of that

Like most people are saying...
It all went south after "Justice". In spite of the bass-less mix, it's quite an avant-garde collection of songs. And extremely angry...
The first three are fine albums.
And the Garage Days Revisited $5.98 EP is great for a quick blast-through. Messy, dirty and fast- with plenty of bass in there.

I own the Black Album. It never gets played. I stopped after that.
Haven't heard anything newer except the title track to St. Anger. Which was rubbish.

I have basically everything they have done. Black album/ reload/ garage days/ st anger don't get played now, and haven't for years.
Reload is probably the worst thing they have ever released.less than a handful of songsnonnthere worth mentioning. Load is a masterpiece in comparison.
St .anger is not too bad apart from the pots and pans lars used on it instead of drums.

Justice is and always was gonna be a great album , despite the absent bass on it.

I do like the fact that altho' they have been mainstream for years , they still. Play the heaviest stuff from their first 2 albums. It may not sound so good live now, but other bands in their position would have played more softer balladry stuff instead.
Good to see them get as big as they are,,despite lars being a total tw@t. Lets face it, back in the '80s MTV and the like we're trying to convince us that con jovi/lepper and Europe was heavy metal. Metallica were too big to be ignored. I don't like the "metallica Family' that James says at gigs tho '

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1380662064' post='2228759']
I have basically everything they have done. Black album/ reload/ garage days/ st anger don't get played now, and haven't for years.
Reload is probably the worst thing they have ever released.less than a handful of songsnonnthere worth mentioning. Load is a masterpiece in comparison.
St .anger is not too bad apart from the pots and pans lars used on it instead of drums.

Justice is and always was gonna be a great album , despite the absent bass on it.

I do like the fact that altho' they have been mainstream for years , they still. Play the heaviest stuff from their first 2 albums. It may not sound so good live now, but other bands in their position would have played more softer balladry stuff instead.
Good to see them get as big as they are,,despite lars being a total tw@t. Lets face it, back in the '80s MTV and the like we're trying to convince us that con jovi/lepper and Europe was heavy metal. Metallica were too big to be ignored. I don't like the "metallica Family' that James says at gigs tho '
[/quote]
Btw the 598ep is awesome, and I must dig that out again. ;)

Been a fan since 88, prefer the first four albums but still listen to the more recent albums occassionally.

Personally I think the band would benefit more from a Rod Smallwood (Iron Maiden) type manager who can give creative citicism and not be a complete "yes" man like Cliff Burnstein seems to be.

What manager would listen to the St. Anger mixes, the song Temptation and the Lulu album and not question them?

I think maybe Lars and Jame's egos have ran away from them.

All that said I would rather listen to a new Metallica album than 99% of new music I hear.

Edited by megallica

I got into Metallica just before Master of Puppets came out.
I must be in a tiny minority of fans that think St Anger is one of the best albums! Heavy, chunky riffs and no solos... Perfect. Just a shame Lars' snare had broken and no one noticed.

Death Magnetic is awful. Long repetitive songs, each with 20-30 "endings"

Edited by bartelby