Why become a member? ×

your influences and why

stjohn

Interesting question and I think I can honestly say no one, in particular, has really influenced me.

As far back as I can remember I've always been drawn to the bass line in a song rather than the melody and I hum along to the bass as other people hum along to the melody. I've got loads of favourite bass lines but they are by a wide variety of players so I guess it's the line itself rather than the player that does it for me. I don't know why that should be but I think that's what led me to pick up a bass guitar, rather than any particular player.

That doesn't mean I don't admire any players, far from it. I greatly admire anyone who can play better than me . . . unfortunately that doesn't help to narrow it down very much!

I agree with flyfisher. I played bass from a young age because I was naturally drawn to the bass line in a song. Whilst all my rock friends were drooling over Tony Iommi's amazing riffs, I adored Geezer Butlers bass lines, so he is my only real influence. I listen to just about every genre of music, but still end up going back to Sabbath in the end for the bass

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1380308107' post='2223703']
Tony Reeves (Colosseum & John Mayall)), Glen Corneck (JethroTull), and Peter Cetera (Chicago) were my early influences.
[/quote]
Tony reeves! Good choice! Was he the player on 'beyond the turning point'?

For me it was Jean Jacques Burnel from The Stranglers. I heard that grunty P-Bass and thought "I want to do THAT"!

Then, on New Year's Eve 1981 I went see The Police in concert at the Ingliston Exhibition Centre in Edinburgh. The support band was Jools Holland just after he'd left Squeeze. The bass player was an unknown guy who just blew my mind. I'd never seen anyone play with such dexterity before. It completely changed my perception of what a bassist could be. The player? A young Pino Palladino.

[quote name='stjohn' timestamp='1380308682' post='2223717']
Tony reeves! Good choice! Was he the player on 'beyond the turning point'?
[/quote]

No. Stephen Thompson and Larry Taylor (another early influence !) played bass on that album.

AFAIK, Reeves only played on one Mayall album.. "Bare Wires". Notwithstanding this, Reeves along with drummer Jon Hiseman
rate among the tightest and most dynamic rhythm sections that Mayall ever had (IMO of course :rolleyes: ).

Here they are in full flight on "Look In The Mirror" from the "...Wires" album.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnLOm74SoAM[/media]

Edited by Coilte

Mark king
Stanley Clarke
Marcus miller
Victor wooten
Jaco pastorius
Paul mccartney
Hadrien feraud
Stuart Zender

The list goes on but my main influence has to be my dad, he put the bass in my hands and showed me the basics and gave me my first bass and also gave me a jaydee which is my main bass and for that I'm so grateful :)

At first, Martin Lamble (early Fairport Convention...), then Dave Mattocks, who assured the spot when Martin died in an accident. Spencer Dryden (Jefferson Airplane...) got a lot of listening/study from me, then I got a bit more eclectic and went for Joe Morello. Many more since, and I sound nothing like any of those three, but they were the drummers that influenced me the most. :mellow:

Oh, for bass, you mean..? Jack Casady and Phil Lesh have most of the ground covered that I'd be happy mastering. Who knows..? Another couple of centuries of trying..? :rolleyes:

I listened a lot but the guys I came back to and would still check out today, would be A Jackson, Miller, Washington, Will Lee..
Plenty of honourable mentions on the way and I've nicked from loads more, but I like the way these guys can drop in, be seemless
but still have their own style in a variety of other situations. Of course, that is what made them great in the first place but I
am not so interested in the one trick pony type.

Outside of the obvious influence of the small furry ones from Wimbledon, Ashley Hutchings is probably the closest thing to an influence I have.

Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, The Etchingham Steam Band, various versions of The Albion Band (and sometimes several at once!), Ridgeriders, Rainbow Chasers, Morris On... his list of folk band formations is enormous, you could spend 6 months just listening to his back catalogue!

He's a musical tart, just like me. :)