Why become a member? ×

Basschat - Government health warning

Guest MoJo

Following a chat to my best friend and long suffering sounding post, I got all retrospective and cast my mind back to the years before basschat and (formerly bassworld) when I gigged,week in and week out with just one bass in my arsenal, an orange Maison four stringer like the one below
[URL=http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/markmojo1962/media/maisonbass_zpscb5661c0.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w614/markmojo1962/maisonbass_zpscb5661c0.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I played it through a Custom Sound Series 700 Graphic Bass combo which was basically this head

[URL=http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/markmojo1962/media/series700head_zpsa11a20b5.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w614/markmojo1962/series700head_zpsa11a20b5.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

....built into this cab

[URL=http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/markmojo1962/media/custom_sound_cab_zps603ef462.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w614/markmojo1962/custom_sound_cab_zps603ef462.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I gigged this setup for more than ten years and was as happy as a pig in the proverbial. I even got compliments on my bass tone on occasion.

Since discovering this community, I've had more amps, cabs and basses than you could shake a stick at and yet I still come away from a rehearsal or a gig thinking something's not quite right and I need to change something.

This site should carry a health warning for all newcomers "Joining Basschat can seriously affect your bank balance" :lol:

The bliss of ignorance

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1379887740' post='2217977']
Sounds familiar... bought bass number 136 this week and still looking for that "right" sound while I used to play a Yamaha BB300 and was quite pleased with it.
[/quote]

136 and still not found the sound? Maybe time to try a tuba or organ pedals, its clearly not the sound of a bass guitar you're looking for!

Yep, hands up, one bass for 25 years, only changed amps when they got nicked.

A couple of years into bass chat and 7 basses and a load of cabs have passed through the house. Have enjoyed the process and haven't lost much money in it either.

All thinning back down, but my present gear is way more expensive than anything I would have though justifiable.

For years I gigged my third bass, a 1999 Musicman Stingray 5 string bought from a real shop.

Then I discovered Talkbs in 2006 and Basschat in 2007. I think I'm on basses 85, 88, 91 and 92 at present.

I've owned nearly every model of cab that Trace Elliot ever made, probably about 20-30 4x10"s, 2x15"s, 4x12"s, 1x15"s, 2x10"s, 4x5"s, maybe 30 amps.

However, I've used the same Brooklyn Gear strap with every single one of them

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1379916994' post='2218090'] Glad to see it's not just me [/quote] +1

At least if you buy secondhand there's a good chance you can sell on at the same price as you bought.

In fairness, if music shops had more basses for us to try out we'd be able to "try before you buy". As it is we're often buying purely on looks. Then when you get to the guy's house and sit and play for 10 mins it's not a real try-out is it?

After all, you're going to the house telling yourself "I'm going to buy..." and very aware of not wanting to be "tyre-kicker".

I've bought and sold a few, but strangely I'd actually say I've "owned" few. If that makes sense.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1379888554' post='2217988']
I've owned nearly every model of cab that Trace Elliot ever made, probably about 20-30 4x10"s, 2x15"s, 4x12"s, 1x15"s, 2x10"s, 4x5"s, maybe 30 amps.
[/quote]
Not sure whether that is a [b][i]good[/i][/b] or [b][i]bad[/i][/b] advert for Trace Elliot.
I've never owned one, but I have used a few of them at rehearsal studios, and I've always thought the sounded good, do they not last very long? :scratch_one-s_head:

You're all just weak persons with no traces of character strength whatsoever.
Me OTOH, before, I wanted a Precision, Jazz, Streamer, Thumb, Dano, Alembic, Wal, Steinberger, Status, StingRay, Bongo and Rick.*
Since, however, I just want a Precision, Jazz, Streamer, Thumb, Dano, Alembic, Wal, Steinberger, Status, StingRay, Bongo and Daisy Rock.*

So it's just reasonable to say I went the opposite way.
:D

Now, amps on the other hand ...
I'd just envisaged I'd own a practice combo and eventually just maybe a gig combo.
Cue two years, and I'm listening to and comparing 6 heads, 5 different cabs and three combos.
And it's all your fault! ;)

*) Lot longer list of basses held back from view for reasons of webforumpostcompactness.
[size=3]... and prying eyes...[/size]
;)

The only thing I have bought because of BassChat, that I otherwise wouldn't have, is a 4x10 cab. I had always been a 15" kind of guy (not bragging or anything...) and wasn't even really aware of 4x10s, it had always been 15s or 12s in my mind. So I ended up buying a Peavey tx410 off eBay, from a local seller, for £40. Glad I did, too.

Its been an interesting process. Running around, buying this, gassing for that and in my case pulling out my trusty Jaydee warehorse from under the bed, purchased in 1985 to discover its probably the best bass I have ever put through my hands. Sold it on though as nowadays my shoulder only tolerates really light basses. Interesting how Basschat peaks your interest, gets you gassing etc., when the holy grail of bass tone might be under your own roof all along

I have to admit that I have been through many different basses until settling on my USA Standard Precision, although I do have a soft spot for the Ibanez SR range.

I've been pretty discplined with amps though, only ever had three rigs, and now play through a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 and Barefaced Super Twelve.

I've only been playing for 6/7 years, but the one thing I have noticed is, as I practice more, gig more, and generally become more experienced, the closer I get to the sound I want, my gear is already "good enough", I just need to learn to play better to get the most from it.

I'm sure that most of us on Basschat have gear that would grace most stages, and most of the great bassists would be happy to use our gear if they had to.

And if they had to use mine, I'm certain they would sound so much [b]better[/b] than [b]me[/b], playing [b]my[/b] gear.

Having said all that, I still can't resist looking at other possibilties though! :unsure:

When I joined Basschat about a year ago, I had 3 4-string basses, a combo and extension speaker for gigging, and a practice amp. Now I have a 4-string, a 5-string, and a fretless, a micro head and 2 lightweight cabs. I have also sold my last remaining bass fx pedal. Nothing remains from my original setup.

I therefore have less kit than a year ago; what I have is far more versatile; and yes I have spent a small fortune making the transition. But what a GAS it's been!

If I practised as much as I BC I'd probably be a good player by now. OR would I?

Possibly I'd not have got so far on the road to playing if I'd stayed learning alone. Coming to BC I don't feel I'm in it alone. I've also learnt stuff and passed on other info to others too - saving time.

Also Mrs G and I have made real friends too.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1379888554' post='2217988']

However, I've used the same Brooklyn Gear strap with every single one of them
[/quote]

You're supposed to just stand them on the stage behind you, you know.

I've lost count of how many basses, amps, cabs and pedals I've bought and sold! I bloody love it though.... even the b-ache of having to pack up a cab in a box that's, well, not exactly bespoke! I have a running argument, with the Mrs (many running arguments actually) about the fact that she just doesn't get it. I just say, 'you never will'! I'm also pretty confident that I've broken even - I mean I've made money and lost money, but there's just something about the lure of something different....... cue Homer Simpson moment: 'Aaahhhhh, tttoooonnnnneeeee..'

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1379883309' post='2217892']
Following a chat to my best friend and long suffering sounding post, I got all retrospective and cast my mind back to the years before basschat and (formerly bassworld) when I gigged,week in and week out with just one bass in my arsenal, an orange Maison four stringer like the one below
[url="http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/markmojo1962/media/maisonbass_zpscb5661c0.jpg.html"][/url]

I played it through a Custom Sound Series 700 Graphic Bass combo which was basically this head

[url="http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/markmojo1962/media/series700head_zpsa11a20b5.jpg.html"][/url]

....built into this cab

[url="http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/markmojo1962/media/custom_sound_cab_zps603ef462.jpg.html"][/url]

I gigged this setup for more than ten years and was as happy as a pig in the proverbial. I even got compliments on my bass tone on occasion.

Since discovering this community, I've had more amps, cabs and basses than you could shake a stick at and yet I still come away from a rehearsal or a gig thinking something's not quite right and I need to change something.

This site should carry a health warning for all newcomers "Joining Basschat can seriously affect your bank balance" :lol:

The bliss of ignorance
[/quote]

That Custom Sound combo was my first 'proper' rig (my very first was a terrible JHS guitar combo). I used it at my first ever gig, with both the bass control and graphic bottom end full up, using flatwounds. The row of people sat in front of me said they could feel the wind blowing past them. :lol: