Why become a member? ×

Sentimental Attachments

Lowender

Once I sell a piece of equipment, I don't miss it. If I get something better, I'm happy. I recently sold the first guitar I ever owned and it meant nothing to me. It'll make someone else happy. If I don;t use something, I get rid ot it. I come from a long line of "thrower-outers."

But recently I was about to throw away an old tattered strap that was no longer useful. I had it for 15 years. I couldn't do it.

Funny how that works.

Is there anything that isn't really of value that you just can't part with?

I'm in the same boat as Machines. My dad (sadly not with us any more) got me my Stingray for my 18th birthday. That will never leave me if it's the last thing I do! I can't bare the thought of parting with it, and one of the last conversations we had about gear was him saying "that bass was the best thing I ever got you". :D

Dan

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1379693568' post='2215838']
I'm in the same boat as Machines. My dad (sadly not with us any more) got me my Stingray for my 18th birthday. That will never leave me if it's the last thing I do! I can't bare the thought of parting with it, and one of the last conversations we had about gear was him saying "that bass was the best thing I ever got you". :D

Dan
[/quote] that's such a good story. :)

I'm not that sentimental about things - Ive a box of trinkets and stuff I've picked up over the years that is nice to have, and some books I like.
Gear wise I sold my first bass to buy something better when it wasn't getting used so don't regret that.
My japanese '57ri I had was great - that was my first gigging bass - and kinda wish I'ld kept it - it got sold to afford the JV I currently have - which looks identical and plays better... but it doesn't have the same history.
The SS1 i didn't like at first, but changed parts, fret job, and almost 5 years of playing and... I couldn't find a better bass. :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1379694888' post='2215879']
I only ever acquire things I want.

Absolutely attached to everything or everyone, I'll be selling nothing.

I like a simple life. :)
[/quote]

You only have things you want - so you don't have to choose what to get rid of.
I don't form attachments - so I don't have to choose what to keep.

It's the same thing. :)

My wife bought me my RD Artist, so I guess that's last to go. I'd say I'm sentimentally attached to 2, maybe 3 in my collection. In a fire sale situation I guess the order would be

1. any fretless (rubbish at it anyway)
2. Any currently produced models (theory being that in better times I could buy another one)
3. G&L Tribute M-2000 (a rare, unobtainable finish combination, but I could get another M-2000)
4. G&L El Toro (because it's not a Gibson)
5. Gibsons in the following order - IV, Ripper (project), Victory Artist, RD Artist

And the Yamaha BB450 would stay, despite it being a lovely bass I'd be lucky if I got £100 for it so it's hardly worth selling.

Not got any real sentimental attachments to any of my music gear at present. If pushed, I`d say my 2011 US Standard, being the only new US Fender I`ve ever bought, and my favourite bass I`ve ever had to play.

I look back fondly at many instruments I`ve had, one especially, a Gibson Les Paul Studio that really got me through a difficult time in my life, but I still got rid when I needed a new bass. I suppose I`m a bit like icastle in this respect.

As I have already said once this evening in a PM... music gear falls into the "things" category - and I try not to get attached to things.

My Status has been with me a very long time and has been instrumental in (see what I did there?) several important memories... but I guess I would still have the memories (for now, anyway) if I no longer had the bass.

I recently sold a very good Geddy Lee J bass. I feel bad about that. Not because I was attached to it, but because it was an excellent example that suited me very well. I am annoyed with myself (slightly) for selling it. I miss it when I play other basses, but I don't sit and pine for it in a sentimental way...

But I have a little figurine... I'll take a pic of it when I remember to... it came out of a Rice Krispies box about 25 years ago. It is one of the charicatures (Pop, I think!) and he is playing a guitar. I cut the head of it (the guitar, not the figurine!) so it looked like me playing my Status. It used to be glued onto the little recessed shelf on my Trace Elliot AH250. I painted him with Tippex so that he glowed when the UV lamp was on.....

Him. I would definitely miss him :blush:

Are we just talking musical gear? - Roger, you're so wrong - not everything has a price - I wouldn't part with my dearly departed dog's collar/lead for any amount of money - I've still got a handful of his fur in a card which has no value to anybody but me and that will be with me till the day I die..

I used to be a hoarder for sure. Found it very difficult to get rid of things. But I find as I get older it is easier to part with things. Sometimes the only thing that holds me back would be a significant loss of money (on a bass that is). Even so if I don't use I'm more of the mind of selling it these days.

Although must admit I'd find it hard to sell my warwick thumb as I did so many gigs with it in my twenties. Lots of sentiment there.

Oh yes!

Miniature pipe organ made out of matches and matchboxes, with miniature notes of an existing organ piece. Me sis made it for me almost four decades ago. Twill never leave me. Best birthday present I ever got.

An bottle of a French wine called "Le petit Bert". It's just gotta be lousy wine, but I ain't throwing that bottle.

And this is only some of the music related stuff...
;)

Bonjour,
Le grand Bert

Edited by BassTractor

No way I could part with my Eko semi-acoustic. Bought for me by my parents as a 21st birthday present, and played regularly ever since. The body developed a nasty split a couple of years back but the guys at the Gallery did a great job restoring it. I think it was an early example of the Brandoni built Eko guitars, sold in Macaris on Charing Cross Road while I ewas a student at nearby London University.

I Departed ways with my Epi-Thunderbird this morning, my first bass and it's been barely used for a number of years, finally decided to let go of it,
luckily to someone that had been wanting one for a while apparently so it's definately getting the use it deserves now I expect.

My Warmoth Z-Bass, That's sticking with me above everything else. Built it out of the first bit of teachers pension money when my dad died. That has sentimental value far exceeds it's financial value.

At the same time my American Standard P-Bass I would have to be in some seriously bad circumstances to part with that as it was the second and last bass my parents bought me as a present.