Why become a member? ×

Sentimental Attachments

Lowender

Ive had loads of instruments which I felt were "keepers". However, as is the way with most musicians, the joys of fluctuating income has meant I have had to sell them when times have been hard.

However, some of you may already know this story - the very first bass guitar I played at around age 14 (back in 1978) after being inspired by The Stranglers' Jean Jacques Burnell, and the disco bass of that eras many hits, was my family friens Jimmy Davidson's 1974 Fender Jazz Bass. Jimmy was the first guy to take time to show me some bass fundamentals. Sitting in my bedroom at my folks place - Jimmy with his Fender, and me trying (and mistly failing) to mimic him on my shockingly bad Grant jazz bass copy, which I bought second hand for £10.

Anyhow, three years ago last December, Jimmy wasn't feeling too good. He went to the doctor and was diagnosed with cancer. Sadly, he passed away 3 months later. His family decided to sell tge bass. My brother contacted me to ask about the best way to do that. I spoke to Martin at The Gallery to discuss the possible sale, then called Jimmy's wife Carol to let her know the anticipated price it would realise.

5 minutes later, Jimmy and Carol's eldest daughter Emma phoned me back to say "we're glad you contacted us as my dad said that if you showed any interest in the bass, he wanted you to have it", I was taken aback that he had said such a thing, but explained that, at that time, I wasn't in a position to be able to afford a purchase of that value.

Emma then said, "no, you misunderstand, we dont want you to buy it, we want you to have it - no charge". There were a few tears shed, and a few days later gang of musician friends came over to my house, bringing the instrument withbthem (I didn't go to Jimmy's family house at that time as I'd just have been a mess).

Jimmy had had the bass strung BEAD with a new brass nut and bridge installled. I decided to take it back to the original '74 spec. I spoke once again to Martin at The Gallery regarding this. Martin installed an original early 70's nut, and the bridge was put back to early 70's spec using a pristine condition Fender unit donated by Mo Foster (thanks again Mo, you're a star!). The bass was cleaned, and set up, and returned to me.

It's a really great instrument which shows the bumps from almost 40 years of gigs, I still consider it "jimmy's bass" rather than my own, and the emotional attachment is very strong. An it's one I hopefully would never have to sell. Currently, my friend Paul Turner (Jamiroquai) has it at his home and loves it. He's used it on Jami gigs and with his side project Shuffler.
[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/1974%20Fender%20Jazz%20Bass/CIMG0002-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/1974%20Fender%20Jazz%20Bass/CIMG0003-2.jpg[/IMG]

There was a memorial held for Jimmy where loads of musicians he had worked with (both as a bassist and as a sound engineer) were in attendance. A slideshow was shown on the big screen featuring many of the people he had worked with over the decades. The final pic was one of Jimmy in his first prooer band in the late 70's, holding his Jazz bass with the ashtrays in place - looking just like the restored instrument. That was a very special moment for me.

Edited by kevin_lindsay

• 3 months later...

I understand that there's a lot of lovely basses that are of sentimental value, but how far would you go if you were skint?? I've just, very regrettably had to part with my 97 Modulus Flea with LP pup. Best bass I've ever had, but with a hefty car maintenance bill coinciding with Xmas, she had to go :(, nearly shed a tear as she left.

Could never sell my Washburn MB5, the only bass I owned between 1991 and 2008, seen many many gigs and rehearsals,never let me down, just sooo damn heavy. More or less worthless in money terms nowadays as the pointy headstock is out of fashion, but the build and sound of this bass is just awesome. Got it from under the spare room bed the other day and twas still in tune and such a great neck.