Why become a member? ×

New 'Later' Series On The Way....Yawwwwwnnnn!

spongebob

[url="http://www.nme.com/news/kanye-west/72544"]http://www.nme.com/news/kanye-west/72544[/url]

Once again, we're to be treated by acts that have been on before.

What happened to 'Later' actually surprising us - all they seem to book is the same old established acts, or a predictable latest big thing in the music press.

But it's music on TV, so I will be Sky +'ing it...every week....and then ranting about what they should be having on! :angry:[size=4] [/size][size=4] [/size]

about 5 years back the BBC scotland ran this really low budget program called the music show - it was amazing - everything jools isn't but used to be - a studio, a sound set up a band or two and some cameras - utterly unpretentious, utterly un showbiz and tottally about the music...

later, now- has no soul.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1378745720' post='2204139']
So by the time I get on 'Later', nobody will be watching it? Typical. :mellow:
[/quote]

I wouldn't count on it. All the people on here who complain about it watch it. Then they come back here and complain about it. :lol:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Freddy Le Cragg' timestamp='1378746887' post='2204169']
Tv related ish, The first head to head on Pointless was Bass Players.
[/quote]

I saw that! Knew them all except the name of The Killers' guy....knew his face and band, but not his name!

Kim Deal got me a point......The Killers' guy was the Pointless answer.

Bring back Gastank! Real musicians jamming with the house band which included Rick Wakeman.

Here's John Entwistle playing (and singing!) Twist & Shout - previously played on a thuddy Hofner, with the most ludicrously sproingy Alembic tone...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Sc5t2wVYY[/media]

Edited by visog

It's become quite popular to complain about later.., but it's still the only show I know of on mainstream TV where you can watch a woman with 4 synths and a third eye painted on her head sing dream pop over programmed drum loops, and then watch a bluesgrass orchestra play a traditional American folk song. There's still loads of small slightly off-kilter acts on, they just don't advertise them in the press releases because, well, why would they? They had a poet on last series for christ sakes, how much more unusual do you want for a music show? Maybe he'll have a mime on this series.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1378754123' post='2204316']

I saw that! Knew them all except the name of The Killers' guy....knew his face and band, but not his name!

Kim Deal got me a point......The Killers' guy was the Pointless answer.
[/quote]
Mark stoermer

Thanks for the heads-up spongebob.

I suspect most of us live in hope. I saw most of the last series but only found one unknown (to me) act that made me want to hear more. They were "Gasp!" playing a pop song. Then I forgot who they were. Age creeping up again.

Anyone remember a band from Twickenham with 2 brothers?

Balcro.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1378754701' post='2204333']
Bring back Gastank! Real musicians jamming with the house band which included Rick Wakeman.

Here's John Entwistle playing (and singing!) Twist & Shout - previously played on a thuddy Hofner, with the most ludicrously sproingy Alembic tone...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Sc5t2wVYY[/media]
[/quote]

Seeing as all the other instruments are so audible in that mix, I'm assuming his amp was set up in the building next door!

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1378760222' post='2204470']
I enjoying watching the confused look on all the trendies faces in the audience when At The Drive In performed on later a few years ago!
[/quote]

Didn't see that. Must've been good/funny, though.

And...

Bring back the Old Grey Whistle Test. Some of the stuff on there was awesome.
OK, no audience, but that didn't seem to matter.
Saw some Roxy Music on the repeats recently. A song I don't even like, but the sheer intensity and accuracy of the performance was superb. (Do the strand, BTW!)

I'm a fan, I'm afraid. Been introduced to plenty of bands watching that show. Been bored by as many, but I love watching live music.

Lots of suggestions to improve it beyond the 'we've got a new album out and out management booked us onto Jools' format it appears to be, but I still watch it and would hate for it to end.

Maybe it needs an injection of new blood from someone to take it to the next level as Clarkson did to the safe and dull Top Gear.

I thought the Kanye West track was truly terrible. I don't like hip hop at the best of times, but musically for me it was just such a bad mix full of terribly unmusical ideas. I can only give the man the benefit of the doubt and assume the studio version sounds much better.

Edited by Kev

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1378754964' post='2204341']
It's become quite popular to complain about later.., but it's still the only show I know of on mainstream TV where you can watch a woman with 4 synths and a third eye painted on her head sing dream pop over programmed drum loops, and then watch a bluesgrass orchestra play a traditional American folk song. There's still loads of small slightly off-kilter acts on, they just don't advertise them in the press releases because, well, why would they? They had a poet on last series for christ sakes, how much more unusual do you want for a music show? Maybe he'll have a mime on this series.
[/quote]Hey, you're talking about the time they had Grimes on there! I'm not a big fan of her stuff, but it says something about how smug and bland Later... is that she's the most exciting thing I've seen on there. Funnily enough, the Grauniad ran a piece on The Tube the other day. It as fronted by Jools Holland amongst others, and was simply the best music TV show I've ever seen. Anarchic and chaotic, with a long enough show each week to feature some long established acts as well as a huge amount of small or even unsigned ones. A personal favourite was seeing Play Dead on there, as well as Killing Joke, Lords of the New Church (including a full frontal nude shot of Stiv Bators - live TV at its best) and The Damned doing a jaw dropping rendition of Eloise.