Why become a member? ×

New 'Later' Series On The Way....Yawwwwwnnnn!

spongebob

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1382285695' post='2250090']
Almost a modern day TOTP?
[/quote]

Yes - I know everyone raves about TOTP and how great it was back in the day. There were certainly some iconic moments for sure, but I watched an episode from 1976 a couple of weeks ago and apart from one or two exceptions, it was the most tedious, awful dross I've ever had the misfortune to sit through. Makes 'Later' look like OGWT by comparison. Mind you, OGWT had it's fair share of crap too.

I think in the era of self-selection and instant media, people have lost the gift of patience. No-one will sit through things they don't like, just to see something that they do like anymore. Hurry, hurry now rush to your graves! Time is running out!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1382290014' post='2250175']
Yes - I know everyone raves about TOTP and how great it was back in the day. There were certainly some iconic moments for sure, but I watched an episode from 1976 a couple of weeks ago and apart from one or two exceptions, it was the most tedious, awful dross I've ever had the misfortune to sit through. Makes 'Later' look like OGWT by comparison. Mind you, OGWT had it's fair share of crap too.

I think in the era of self-selection and instant media, people have lost the gift of patience. No-one will sit through things they don't like, just to see something that they do like anymore. Hurry, hurry now rush to your graves! Time is running out!
[/quote]

Totally agree with you there.

With regard to TOTP 1976, I too made the mistake of watching it several weeks ago. Painful doesn't come close. There was brilliant music in '76 I'm sure of it...it just didn't seem to make its way onto TOTP. :unsure:

But, the thing about TOTP was that it was part of the fabric of everyone's lives for decades.

every Thursday evening the programme aired for 30 minutes. Whole families warched it. Some acts were pop dross, some were good, and sometimes there was sonething whuch blew your mind and created memories whuch still resonate decades later.

Because it was on BBC One, it was something which the whole nation saw, and inevitably created a point of conversation afterwards. Fridays were spent at school or work talking about what was on. Music was a main talking point which no longer is the case as people aren't given music as a main part of their day to day lives anymore.

the Cowell crap-athon now only presents acts as being worthwhile if they have a "back story". Any melodic factor is secondary to the tabloid garbage.

"Later..." has many faults, but its the only ongoing live music programme around in the UK right now, and I'm glad it's there.

Edited by kevin_lindsay

I've got tickets for one of the upcoming shows:

Line up is:
Episode 7/8 With The National, John Mayer, London Grammar, Lissie and Graham Parker & The Rumour.

Must admit I'm not overly impressed with the line up so there may be a couple of tickets I'll be moving on.

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1382452072' post='2252288']
I've got tickets for one of the upcoming shows:

Line up is:
Episode 7/8 With The National, John Mayer, London Grammar, Lissie and Graham Parker & The Rumour.

Must admit I'm not overly impressed with the line up so there may be a couple of tickets I'll be moving on.
[/quote]John Mayer and Graham Parker might well be worth it (if you like them that is).

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1382452226' post='2252291']
John Mayer and Graham Parker might well be worth it (if you like them that is).
[/quote]

yep - not overly familiar with much of their material - I'll have a look around online to see if it the kind of thing that floats my boat.

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1382452682' post='2252302']
yep - not overly familiar with much of their material - I'll have a look around online to see if it the kind of thing that floats my boat.
[/quote]

If John Mayer has his usual Trio you'll be treated to Pino in a very comfortable situation, well worth a watch.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1382453061' post='2252311']
Earth Wind & Fire tonight!
[/quote]
Great! Verdine was one of my bass practice 'tutors' in that I sat and played along to him, copying some great licks. He's a wonderful bass player, even if (in my opinion) a bit tasteless when it comes to some of his solos on Youtube. I'll look forward to seeing him too.

Gonna be a great show for bass players!

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1382453280' post='2252315']
Great! Verdine was one of my bass practice 'tutors' in that I sat and played along to him, copying some great licks. He's a wonderful bass player, even if (in my opinion) a bit tasteless when it comes to some of his solos on Youtube. I'll look forward to seeing him too.

Gonna be a great show for bass players!
[/quote]

I agree.... listen to the songs and he's brilliant..... on his own its all over the bloody place.... how does that happen??

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1382453152' post='2252312']
If John Mayer has his usual Trio you'll be treated to Pino in a very comfortable situation, well worth a watch.
[/quote]

Crikey, yep - how did I forget about that.
Don't think I can justify the travel / accommodation at ths time though...grrrrr

For a number of reason's I won't be attending the recording taking place next Tuesday.
2 x tickets available via this link, for a donation to BC.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/220439-2-x-jools-holland-later-tv-recording-tickets-maidstone-tuesday-29th-october-pino/

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1382292051' post='2250234']
...it was something which the whole nation saw, and inevitably created a point of conversation afterwards. Fridays were spent at school or work talking about what was on. Music was a main talking point which no longer is the case as people aren't given music as a main part of their day to day lives anymore...
[/quote]

Yes, I agree. I was just making the point that we tend to remember it through the lens of time and tend to recall only the best bits. But then I suppose that's what we do, isn't it? Avoid depression by not remembering all the embarrassing stuff we've done in our lives. ;)