Why become a member? ×

Most popular Amp ?

dmccombe7

EBS Reidmar into Eden 4x10xst

Head=rediculously light,
cab = 90lbs...'kin eavy,
me= 53 but still daft enough to carry the cab on me own!

I still can't get my head around this little monster competing with 2 Marshall 50W halfstacks and a bonzo style drummer, and winning!

[size=2]edited for idiocy[/size]

Edited by Oopsdabassist

OK. My main reasons first. They are these:
1 - learning about gear
2 - learning about gear
3 - learning about gear

My extensive gear list is soon to be joined by lots of other stuff, after which most of it will disappear again, so I'll be left with one set that will do it all, or one modern Hi-Fi set and one old skool set with valves - in which case the old skool set [b]will[/b] be the Ashdown Little Bastard 30 and two LB 112 cabs - coz I luuuurve it.

That said, for the time being, I use:

- Ashdown Little Bastard 30 with LB 112 cabs
- Ashdown MiBass 550
- Beta Aivin BP-35 combo
- Beta Aivin BT250H
- Harley Benton CB-110X combo
- Orange Micro Terror guitar head with PPC 108 cabs
- Orange Terror Bass
- Peavey Rage 158 guitar combo

Soon to be joined by:
- Barefaced Compact and Midget cabs
- Vanderkley 112EXT cabs
- some Hi-Fi head, preferable one that does a good old skool in addition.

Edited by BassTractor

Markbass LMIII as it was the nicest lightweight at the time (although thinking about a TH500 now!). Usually use either an Aguilar GS112 or the DB112NT depending on what I'm playing or how big the needfortweed is! Very rarely use the full rig but it sounds killer when I do and pushes a LOT of air. I can carry my entire rig in one trip, even with both cabs so its here to stay!

Edited by skej21

As per the sig:

Ashton Valve head and matching 410 & 115. 25 + 35 + 40 KG = ~100KG ouch!
Trace Elliot Twin Valve combo: ~35 KG less ouch but still ouch a bit.

I'm currently 30.

I expected to see Ampeg near the top but there's a definate trend towards the lightweight MarkBass / Genz type amps. Surprised there's not more mentioned about Ashdown as they're often discussed on here too.

Green cloth covered Trace 1x15 combo which I've had about 8-9yrs. Supposedly about 300W with an extension cab. Never had it above halfway on either gain or master output at any gig I've done. Lots of EQ options and an inbuilt compressor which is adjustable in level but nothing complex. Options for DI out and switchable whether DI out is pre or post EQ, should keep any FOH engineer happy if required to go through house PA (hardly ever required in bands I've been in). Cheap S/H, reliable, robust but sadly not lightweight. Coupled with a 2x10 ext cab (used to have 4x10 but just too big to be worth the effort really) and my Hartke Bassattack pedal I can get all the sounds I need for now.

^ Nor should you ever need to wind a Trace master volume up beyond about half-way (assuming that the gain is correctly set)
The power amp stages are made to be more sensitive so they can be driven by lower-output pre-amps.
I've used an Ampeg pre into the fx return to good effect.
Think it even says so in the SMX manual...

Oh, I have a TE bunch of cabs and a head cut from a combo. Don't get much use...

Not sure if it's just me but I find it really hard to get excited about amplification in the same way that I do about basses. I use one of those 500w TC Electronic amps (not sure of the model)...it has 2x10's and does absolutely everything that I want from an amp. Even sounds good!

Edited by White Cloud

Ashdown ABM 500 Evo II and Barefaced Compact

Cuz that's the way, uh-huh uh-huh, I like it!

I also have an Asdown ABM 115 Compact that doesn't get a look in anymore.

I'm 22 and my back is good, so why do I have compact and relatively lightweight gear?

1 - I have a small car
2 - I spend my daytime moving heavy stuff around and can't be bothered to do so in my evenings as well
3 - I think it sounds great.

If you can get a sound that you're happy with from lightweight gear, then why bother lugging around the heavy stuff? (Unless of course, you hire people to do that for you! :rolleyes:)

Edited by D.I. Joe

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1379432834' post='2212640']
Not sure if it's just me but I find it really hard to get excited about amplification
[/quote]

No worries. There's this guy in Upper Volta who ... :P :D
Seriously though, I may be quite similar even though my above post might point in a different direction.
I just want to learn about amps, and imagine that after that I will settle for a certain style and one rig (or two if must) for the rest of my life.

Now basses on the other hand ...

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1379439050' post='2212758']
No worries. There's this guy in Upper Volta who ... :P :D
Seriously though, I may be quite similar even though my above post might point in a different direction.
I just want to learn about amps, and imagine that after that I will settle for a certain style and one rig (or two if must) for the rest of my life.

Now basses on the other hand ...

[/quote]
The issue I always have is that as soon as I have saved up enough cash for a nice amp.....a nice bass catches my eye instead lol!

Ashdown 220 Touring 1x12 with 1x12 extension cab.

Reason: I wanted to go cheap, and with Ashdown (British company) but the sound of the MAG 300 head didn't appeal so I tried the very nice retro-looking Touring with the dual tube pre-amp and loved the tone. Push the input gain (even better with an active bass in the passive input) and it add the most lovely bit of distortion into the mix. A nice great dirty stomping sound if you want it, or something cleaner if you wish.

I wish it were all lighter though and it does colour the sound of the bass (IMO not in a bad way). I play though a MarkBass 110 combo at my bass lessons which is just do damn lovely. Mostly I'm going through a PA system when playing live but I'm looking to take my amp to more gigs.