Why become a member? ×

Most popular Amp ?

dmccombe7

Mesa Carbine M6, for that monster throaty sound. Responsive and just rock'n'roll.

I play it with a TKS 212 and a Promethean 410, but that is getting replaced by 2x TKS 2126s in the next coupe of weeks. The TKS speakers are some of the lightest and effective speakers I have heard. And I am getting them custom finished as well. :)

Edited by bjelkeman

Just bought a TC BG250 combo. Light, small and loud enough for the pub gigs I do. I don`t know if I am totally sold on the sound yet after playing with a 2x10 set up for the last couple of years but hey ho.

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1378569868' post='2201981']
Currently enjoying a DB750 into DB cabs...
am considering taking out the TF550-B tonight to see if it remains
a decent enough back-up or sell it.
[/quote]

Well, it does. I will keep it...

I think the cab is the key tho...

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1378623142' post='2202413']
Surprising how few people are using Ampeg which I expected to see more off.

Lightweights seem to be most popular too.

Dave
[/quote]

i would be interested to see some statistical analysis of gear weight against player age :lol:

for as long as my back will stand it i will lug the hartke kit around

if only hartke made a more powerful small 12/15 combo and small extension cab........... :blink:

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1378624755' post='2202420']
i would be interested to see some statistical analysis of gear weight against player age :lol:

for as long as my back will stand it i will lug the hartke kit around

if only hartke made a more powerful small 12/15 combo and small extension cab........... :blink:
[/quote]
Interesting thought regarding the weight of gear and age. According to Alexa the typical age of a Basschat user is 45-55 (IIRC), which might explain the predominance of lightweight gear here. Although it seems as if Talkbass also has a large number of people using lightweight heads, and the membership has a lower average age over there.

I suppose there's also the appeal of being able to lug it about on public transport for those too young to afford insurance premiums. If you like how it sounds, what's not to like about halving the weight of your kit?

Off the top of my head... bass rigs I've seen around here recently are
Marshall Valve and 410 ( so old, I have no idea what model.)
Fender Bassman rig.
A good few SVT3's and Apmeg 410's.
Hartke and Hartke 410
Ampeg VF min stack
GK and 210,115.
and a couple of Markbasses.

[sub]Orange terror bass 500 and matching sp212 cab.[/sub]
[sub]I,ve been through a lot of gear through the years but this one does it,might get rid of my Roland stuff and that,s saying something..[/sub]
[sub]The easy lift,small size bit is a welcome bonus but it,s the sound/tone, the way it reacts and the amount of volume ,spread,punch whatever you want to call it.[/sub]
[sub]It seems the day of the big Ampig and matching fridge freezer is over unless you want to look loud .[/sub]
[sub]It makes me laugh when I look round and a thing the size of a practice amp is blitzing the place[/sub]
[sub]One easy lift for everything , one happy back and one grinning bass player.[/sub]
[sub]Small is the new big.[/sub]

[size=4][quote name='Musky' timestamp='1378628929' post='2202462']
Interesting thought regarding the weight of gear and age. According to Alexa the typical age of a Basschat user is 45-55 (IIRC), which might explain the predominance of lightweight gear here ...[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I suppose there's also the appeal of being able to lug it about on public transport for those too young to afford insurance premiums.[/font][/color]
[/quote][/size]
[size=4]I'm in the typical BC age range but don't use lightweight amplification... just lightweight cabs. But I do have a car.[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1378627841' post='2202447']
Even the Ampeg SVT series which have tube pre-amps and SS or Class D power sections don't seem that common either.

Like the comment on age related to amp / cab weight. Makes sense. :lol:

Dave
[/quote]
Still plenty of people using Ampeg out in the real world!

I use either a Mesa Boogie Mpulse or a LM3 thru a Berg 410.