Why become a member? ×

Best way to tell the wife..... ' I've just bought a new bass !'

Tullfan

• 7 months later...

Probably been said already... but... if it's your money - and making music is your hobby or job then you have to be honest with your partner and tell the truth. Actually, even if its not your money, tell the truth. Relationships don't work if they are built on a foundation of lies. My wife (14 year anniversary this year) and I have an understand that goes something along the lines of £50 purchase and under - just do it, no need to consult. £50-£100 purchase, still do it; but consider if it is really necessary and be prepared to justify. £100+ purchase - discussion and justification needed. For me, I have sold 7 basses and bought 4 in the past year with the intention that it is always 'cost neutral'. My wife supports my 'hobby' and trusts me to be sensible. Which I am. Mostly. If she found a load of vintage Fenders in my music room or random receipts that I couldn't justify then I would have a bigger trust problem that a 'too many basses' problem. Bottom line - be honest with your partner, its the only way.

I have used the following...a few times:
'Yes I'm getting a new Ducati. I'm selling the two old bikes in the garage, at the en dof the day you did say I didn't need so many'
'You see this is a ltd edition one and it's cheap because (insert name of person) is needing the money. His loss OUR gain'
'Yes I know I have several guitars, but this is a sort of pension fund' *
Ditto above but use the word bikes instead of guitars. *
'I work hard to be able to buy stuff like this and take us on holiday'
'I'm going to sell such and such when I get the right price, and I will put this straight back into the bank account' **

* The normal reply to this is 'who the fook do you think you are, a world famous investor...no you can't get a new guitar'
** Never happens!

I did the same colour thing in the past, but once you get more than 5-6 guitars it gets a bit hard.

When I used to manage guitar shops I offered worried customers a 'fake' reciept to show the wife (along with the proper one). The fake one would state that the guitar only cost whatever the customer asked me to state.

Worked well with international customs too :P

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1402586029' post='2475051']
When I used to manage guitar shops I offered worried customers a 'fake' reciept to show the wife (along with the proper one). The fake one would state that the guitar only cost whatever the customer asked me to state.

Worked well with international customs too :P
[/quote]

That's a good plan but still carries risk of a black eye.

The best way is a brass neck and tell her the truth, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. After the buy event obviously.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1402589654' post='2475104']

My wife only bothered asking me how much that Custom Shop was that I picked up from yours the other week whilst I was on my way home....and that was without one of your magic receipts!
[/quote]

Haha, good on you Warren, all those lovely basses PLUS an understanding wife, cake and eat spring to mind!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1402602192' post='2475303']
I didn't get away with it completely. That particular bass cost me a £700 running machine!
She's happy. I'm happier. We're both happy. Maybe that's the trick?
[/quote]

No not completely, but you did get off lightly considering you got a killer bass and paid quite a bit more than £700.... :)

Let's hope she's after a new rowing machine soon, then you can start trawling the For Sale section again!

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1378498404' post='2201291']
Don't tell her, she'll probably never notice. If she asks; "Is this new?" Look at her incredulously (but don't over do it) and just say "no, I've had that one for years."
[/quote]

That's what I do with fishing rods. It works with them. A new bass in our house wouldn't go unnoticed unfortunately. I want a p bass but it ain't gonna happen unless I get rid if the jazz which I don't want to.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1402602192' post='2475303']
That particular bass cost me a £700 running machine!
[/quote]

Cor you must have an understanding music shop. The one near me only takes money!!!

Edited by gadgie

I once bought a strat off eBay, had it sent to work, dismantled it completely during lunchbreak, smuggled the bits home and then announced that I was going to make up a guitar from spare bits & pieces that I had accumulated over the years.

The plan worked.

[quote name='Angel' timestamp='1402649591' post='2475582']
I once bought a strat off eBay, had it sent to work, dismantled it completely during lunchbreak, smuggled the bits home and then announced that I was going to make up a guitar from spare bits & pieces that I had accumulated over the years.

The plan worked.
[/quote]

Hahaha that's amazing :lol: I'm almost disappointed that all I have to do is say "Oh yeah, I got a new bass today"

I play instruments, she has dogs. One of the dogs is on long term (six years and counting) medication. The food bill runs to £70 a month, the meds bill about the same. That gives me a fair amount of leeway in buying new instruments. The secret is not to abuse it.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Ok guys, I may be needing some fine tuning on the advice front here.

How do you tell the wife, you have just bought a lovely, rare, handmade high quality bass, ........for next to nothing really,
The only down side is........ :scratch_one-s_head:[size=4] [/size]

it comes in two parts.....!!!!!!!
:angry2:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1408131941' post='2527536']
So glad I'm single. The cat doesn't care what I buy as long as I have enough spare cash for her Felix Ocean Feasts. :D
[/quote]

Single?....and a cat lover???...Stay right there my dear I'm on my way....*waggles eyebrows*

Oh..wait....The wife says I have to mow the carpet.....again... so sorry. :blink:

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1408190365' post='2527963']

Single?....and a cat lover???...Stay right there my dear I'm on my way....*waggles eyebrows*

Oh..wait....The wife says I have to mow the carpet.....again... so sorry. :blink:
[/quote]

Aw, and I was just about to put the kettle on!

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1408217218' post='2528194']
Aw, and I was just about to put the kettle on!
[/quote]

Erhhh... If that's for Earl Grey... :drinks:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4] [/size][size=4]([i]I'm not sure how I'll get to swing this with SC, but[/i]... :blush: )[/size]

Get it delivered to work, take existing case to work (empty) return with new bass and pretend like nothing's happened. hide old bass at work, under the bed, back of the wardrobe, behind the cold water tank in the loft etc.

NB. Same colour and roughly same shape works well with this one.

What to do with old bass eventually?........still working on that one