Why become a member? ×

Best way to tell the wife..... ' I've just bought a new bass !'

Tullfan

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1378498404' post='2201291']
Don't tell her, she'll probably never notice. If she asks; "Is this new?" Look at her incredulously (but don't over do it) and just say "no, I've had that one for years."
[/quote]

Ah, the penny's just dropped - THIS is the real reason behind 'Relic'ed instruments.

Wife/Partner/Significant Other: "Is this new?"

Bassist/Musician/Collector: "what, that old thing? I've had it for years, just look how old it is..." :mellow:

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1378591594' post='2202309']
Ah, the penny's just dropped - THIS is the real reason behind 'Relic'ed instruments.

Wife/Partner/Significant Other: "Is this new?"

Bassist/Musician/Collector: "what, that old thing? I've had it for years, just look how old it is..." :mellow:
[/quote]

A good indicator as to how long I've owned an instrument is how many pieces of it are missing, replaced, or how many pieces it's lying on the bench in :D I'm currently staring at a jazz bass body that I've had for a year that has all the parts screwed off it and set on top. :D

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1378583494' post='2202201']
Are there really people out there who think that being deceitful about purchases worth hundreds or thousands is a good way to behave in a committed relationship? Or who think so little of their wife that they reckon she can't tell one red bass from another?

I really hope that it's just tongue in cheek jokey bravado, otherwise it's little wonder the divorce rate is so high.
[/quote]

I thought this thread was hilarious and so I read a few of the choice posts to my wife who also thought they were very funny! Would I dream of deceiving her about buying a new bass? NO! And BTW it is our 7th wedding anniversary today! :wub:

Ach, just tell her and hope she doesn't start playing it herself.

Well, that's how it happened in [b]this [/b]household... the resident manthing was the bassist and he got me hooked. ;)

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1378736981' post='2203929']
I thought this thread was hilarious and so I read a few of the choice posts to my wife who also thought they were very funny! Would I dream of deceiving her about buying a new bass? NO! And BTW it is our 7th wedding anniversary today! :wub:
[/quote]

Congrats to you and your missus, Jonnyboy. :D

Edited by Cat

My wife is cool with me buying new gear. When I was about to place my BF order I thought I'd better run it by her as it was s lot of money. Gave her the usual stuff "it's much lighter and smaller, much easier on my back etc". Her reply " I'll give you half the money if it means you not waking the vicar next door up at 2am every sunday morning shouting "for f***s sake" because you've scraped your knuckles on the bloody door frame again"!! Gotta love her.

I understand most of this is tongue-in-cheek, I've had a good chuckle reading through these, but seriously, do people actually hide stuff like this from their partners?

I just buy whatever I like... There is no logical reason for anyone to get upset about what you spend your money on. We both pay our share of the rent, bills, food etc. I spend my spare cash on basses (amongst other things), she spends hers traveling the world...

The story earlier in this thread about the guy having to hand over £1600 as the equivalent of his bass spending is ridiculous. If my missus said that to me I'd be gone by the time she put her hand out...

Rob

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1378517663' post='2201469']
It's not just wives.... Husbands can be equally troublesome :P

I found this approach worked well for me just a week ago....

Me "Darling, would you like to come on a roadtrip to the midlands with me tomorrow"
Him "Why are you going to the Midlands?"
Me "I'm meeting a bloke off Basschat as I'm buying a bass off him"
Him "Not another bass!!!" (slightly pissed off tone of voice)
Me "Yes, but I'm selling two"
Him "Oh, OK then"
Me "So do you want to come?"
Him "No thanks, got too much to do down the allotment"
[/quote]

Wouldn't work the other way round here:

Me "Darling, would you like to come on a roadtrip to the midlands with me tomorrow"
Her "Why are you going to the Midlands?"
Me "I'm meeting a woman off Basschat as I'm buying a bass off her"
Her "Who is she?" (slightly pissed off tone of voice)
Me "Just a woman selling a bass"
Her "Right, I'm coming"
Me "Don't you have things to do at the allotment?"
Her "Definitely not!"

Followed by a silent car journey to the Midlands and one of the poorest buying experiences imaginable

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1378738878' post='2203967']
I understand most of this is tongue-in-cheek, I've had a good chuckle reading through these, but seriously, do people actually hide stuff like this from their partners?

I just buy whatever I like... There is no logical reason for anyone to get upset about what you spend your money on. We both pay our share of the rent, bills, food etc. I spend my spare cash on basses (amongst other things), she spends hers traveling the world...

The story earlier in this thread about the guy having to hand over £1600 as the equivalent of his bass spending is ridiculous. If my missus said that to me I'd be gone by the time she put her hand out...

Rob
[/quote]

Absolutely. It's no way to be in a relationship (I believe, although I could hardly call myself an expert) to have to hide anything from your partner. If the bills are paid, and you have some spare cash that isn't earmarked for something else, what's the issue? Sometimes, you just have to treat yourself, don't you? I'm the kind of person that would run something by somebody, but unless they had a good serious reason for me not to spend my money on something, I'd likely ignore their "Don't buy it" pleas. Although I rarely do go out and buy a new instrument now. Last one I bought was a £200 Lag acoustic guitar (which is fantastic value for money, might I add), and that cost less than my iPad. The guitar is more fun :D

do people actually hide stuff like this from their partners?
[/quote]

From what I can see, it seems more prevalent in some circles than in others.
Guy I know knows a lot of blokes, and he has enormous amounts of stories about exactly that, or rather: what happened when they were found out. In his circles, it seems all the blokes do it, and they all know about everyone's doing it. That was new to me.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1378739302' post='2203973']

Wouldn't work the other way round here:

Her "Why are you going to the Midlands?"
Me "I'm meeting a woman off Basschat as I'm buying a bass off her"
Her "Who is she?" (slightly pissed off tone of voice)
Me "Just a woman selling a bass"
Her "Right, I'm coming"
Me "Don't you have things to do at the allotment?"
Him "Definitely not!"

Followed by a silent car journey to the Midlands and one of the poorest buying experiences imaginable
[/quote]

That really made me giggle :lol:

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1378739469' post='2203980']
Absolutely. It's no way to be in a relationship (I believe, although I could hardly call myself an expert) to have to hide anything from your partner. If the bills are paid, and you have some spare cash that isn't earmarked for something else, what's the issue? Sometimes, you just have to treat yourself, don't you? I'm the kind of person that would run something by somebody, but unless they had a good serious reason for me not to spend my money on something, I'd likely ignore their "Don't buy it" pleas. Although I rarely do go out and buy a new instrument now. Last one I bought was a £200 Lag acoustic guitar (which is fantastic value for money, might I add), and that cost less than my iPad. The guitar is more fun :D
[/quote]

Yeah your right. I don't even run stuff by her to be honest, I'm not spending money we have aside for something else. I'd never dream of buying a bass instead of paying the council tax or anything. I might mention a new purchase in passing during a normal days course of conversation, she usually indulges me by listening to me wittering on about bass playing. She did raise an eyebrow when the topic of my Wal order came up and the subsequent price. But that's only because she couldn't understand how a bass could cost that much, not because she would try and stop me buying it.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1378739577' post='2203983']
From what I can see, it seems more prevalent in some circles than in others.
Guy I know knows a lot of blokes, and he has enormous amounts of stories about exactly that, or rather: what happened when they were found out. In his circles, it seems all the blokes do it, and they all know about everyone's doing it. That was new to me.
[/quote]

From time to time I'm a bit guilty of thinking that everyone thinks and acts like me and my immediate friends and family. You are of course right, there are all sorts in the world and a good few of them play bass, some of them will hide (or feel they have to hide) bass purchases. I personally would never entertain the thought of clandestine bass buying and I'd never have a partner who would try to control what I spent my money on like that, I think its a bit weird...

Anyway I'm being a killjoy... back to 'buying them all the same color' advice and so forth.

Rob

I understand most of this is tongue-in-cheek, I've had a good chuckle reading through these, but seriously, do people actually hide stuff like this from their partners?[/quote]

Not if they want to stay with them for very long! As I'm sure we all know, the key to any relationship is openness and honesty.

And now, back to the fun with my favourite bass joke:

Kid starts getting bass lessons and after his first day, his dad asks: "What did you learn today, son?"
His son replies: "I learnt all the notes on the E string."
Second day, his dad asks: "Did you learn anything good today, son?"
Kid replies: "Yea, I learnt all the notes on the A string."
Day three, father asks: "So, how are the bass lessons going?"
Kid replies: "Ah, I didn't go today, dad. I've got a gig tonight."

:sun_bespectacled: