Why become a member? ×

Best way to tell the wife..... ' I've just bought a new bass !'

Tullfan

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1378538097' post='2201515']
If you can afford it and you want it, why would a partner be angry?

If you're spending money that should go on food, rent/mortgage or other essentials on music gear then take a good look in the mirror!

;)
[/quote]
This. If you need to hide things like this, you either really do have too many basses, or you're with the wrong partner.
Anyone can justify 3. Always take a backup and if one breaks, you can still take a backup. After that, you're on your own, son... (daughter, whatever...)
:)

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1378984032' post='2207293']
what concerns me is that this thread is not a joke...

My wife doesn't question my basses. I don't question her surfboards.

It's called being adult, surely?

:scratch_one-s_head:
[/quote]

Totally. I don't question the amount of yarn/floof/wool she has in the house, nor the fact that she is currently lusting after ANOTHER spinning wheel, and she doesn't question my GAS (nor the fact I am something of a tackle tart when it comes to my angling gear!!).

As long as we both have enough to survive on, that is OK.

I heard a great one the other day. Bloke had always wanted a les Paul (can't remember the model but it was worth about 2.5k) and he started with a black les Paul copy. It took him a few years but he kept trading up and adding a little cash but got there in the end!
So keep you basses looking the same and you will be fine. Or go with the have so many she can't keep up method, you might have to take some stick to get there though

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1378984032' post='2207293']
what concerns me is that this thread is not a joke...
[/quote]

Says who? I've not seen one single mention of someone being serious, and several mentions of this all being very tongue-in-cheek.
But yes, I'm sure the phenomenon does exist, and I'm not [s]proud of it[/s] in favour of it.
:D

( FWiW, I've never hidden any bass from my ex. :) )

As most of the equipment I buy is picked up at far less than I think it's worth (tend to have a rule of 50% or less than what it'd cost new) I can usually get away with...

"I might have accidentally bought a..."

Today it was a bass. Three weeks ago it was a guitar amp. I usually have a good reason for buying something and the cash comes out of my pocket money (what I leave in my account for fuel and fun before transferring the rest of my wages in to the family account) so the wife despairs a little but doesn't tend to mind.

Big purchases (Like the Shuttlemax and Berg 2x12) still come out of my pocket money, after a lot of saving, but are discussed in depth before I risk buying as there may a justifiable business case for spending the money on something else (hence Bass Direct have still got a Roscoe Century 4 with P/J pups).

So to reiterate;:

Up to about £300 - buy but inform before arrival

Over £300 - seek approval from the financial director before committing to purchase.

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1378538097' post='2201515']
If you can afford it and you want it, why would a partner be angry?

If you're spending money that should go on food, rent/mortgage or other essentials on music gear then take a good look in the mirror!

;)
[/quote]
I normally say upfront that im thinking of buying a new bass to which Mrs lonestar usually replies "if you think that we can afford it".
Thats normally the end of it; i haven't bought any new instruments for ages.... Poor Mike.

I'm currently in the process of acquiring another bass, it has taken me about 4months so far.
I'm building my own so it comes in parts. Spending a little at a time. Granted I've only spent about £70 so far.

My Mrs doesn't really mind as long as I've got the money spare, I gig enough to save easily for a new instrument, but with a wedding on the horizon there's not a great deal of spare cash!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]One that will never wear thin is: "You know I need this one, but I really do love you! [/font][/color] :wub:[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] "[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It's our wedding anniversary on Sunday. I'm sure she asked for an MXR Compressor and a Lava Patch Cable Kit ? [/font][/color]

My wife is very understanding, really. I find 29 basses a really odd number and one of these days,
I'm probably going to have to broach the subject of number 30.

She knows very well I don't NEED another bass and if I get it, it's because I WANT it.

I would never dream of hiding a new bass from her and would 99% certainly tell her I was planning
to pull the trigger.

Edited by 12stringbassist

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1378498404' post='2201291']
Don't tell her, she'll probably never notice. If she asks; "Is this new?" Look at her incredulously (but don't over do it) and just say "no, I've had that one for years."
[/quote]

Just make sure they are all the same colour.

Ok, I'm sure you have all been on tenterhooks waiting for the update on the new bass arrival.
Well it now has, and it is beautiful !

How was it received?
By my oldest son at the door to the delivery man .
Phew strike one!

.....My wife, she just sighed - and it turns out she was waiting on how to tell me,
she had just bought a new bathroom cabinet for £500 !
Once I showed her this posting too , we read it and had a laugh together, so thanks guys ;-)

Now, about the PJB combo I'm going to add ..................?
B^D

[quote name='Tullfan' timestamp='1379678287' post='2215595']

.....My wife, she just sighed - and it turns out she was waiting on how to tell me,
she had just bought a new bathroom cabinet for £500 !

B^D
[/quote]

How can you pay £500 for a cabinet that doesn't have speakers in it ?