Why become a member? ×

Best way to tell the wife..... ' I've just bought a new bass !'

Tullfan

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1378740944' post='2204018']
...she usually indulges me by listening to me wittering on about bass playing.
[/quote]

It's the same with the current mrs discreet. I burble on excitedly about my most recent acquisition...
...to which the response is always the same:

Me: Wow, check out my new [bass/amp/cab/strap/lead/pre/what-have-you] !!
TCMD: (Not looking up from iPhone) That's nice, dear.

Edited by discreet

Last bass I bought;

Me: "I'm going to start saving my gig money. I've seen a lovely looking bass at a reasonable price. I hope I can find a similar one in a year or so's time when I've saved enough"
Mrs: "Another one? You have enough already"
Me: "I'll get rid of the Jazz to put towards it. I haven't played it in ages and am unlikely to"
... wait for a day or two...
Me: "Here's that bass on basschat. Looks nice doesn't it? Here are some others that are WAY more expensive - it really is a bargain"
Mrs: " A Rickenbacker? You've wanted one of those for ages. I don't know why you bought that Thunderbird instead of getting a Ric"
Me: "Rickenbackers are a lot more expensive than Thunderbirds"
Mrs: "Well, I suppose if you're selling the Jazz to go towards it..."
Me: "Trouble is, it's a buyers' market at the moment. Nobody has any money. Prices are way down - which is why the Ric is so cheap"
Mrs: "Where is it?"
... etc. By which point it's in the bag :D

how about this to the trouble & strife - Another bass playing mate of mine is working abroad for a few months and asked me to look after his bass while he is away, as he doesn't trust his room mate at the shared flat.
As the months roll on you get a "phone call" from your "mate", he's decided to stay living abroad and he will sell the bass to me for a bargain basement price :) which is too good to refuse, plus I already have it, you can buy it for my next birthday/Xmas pressie.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1378814724' post='2204900']
Last bass I bought;

Me: "I'm going to start saving my gig money. I've seen a lovely looking bass at a reasonable price. I hope I can find a similar one in a year or so's time when I've saved enough"
Mrs: "Another one? You have enough already"
Me: "I'll get rid of the Jazz to put towards it. I haven't played it in ages and am unlikely to"
... wait for a day or two...
Me: "Here's that bass on basschat. Looks nice doesn't it? Here are some others that are WAY more expensive - it really is a bargain"
Mrs: " A Rickenbacker? You've wanted one of those for ages. I don't know why you bought that Thunderbird instead of getting a Ric"
Me: "Rickenbackers are a lot more expensive than Thunderbirds"
Mrs: "Well, I suppose if you're selling the Jazz to go towards it..."
Me: "Trouble is, it's a buyers' market at the moment. Nobody has any money. Prices are way down - which is why the Ric is so cheap"
Mrs: "Where is it?"
... etc. By which point it's in the bag :D
[/quote]

Hehe! You crafty devil! :D (I would also do something like this!

Edited by MiltyG565

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1378814724' post='2204900'] Last bass I bought; Me: "I'm going to start saving my gig money. I've seen a lovely looking bass at a reasonable price. I hope I can find a similar one in a year or so's time when I've saved enough" Mrs: "Another one? You have enough already" Me: "I'll get rid of the Jazz to put towards it. I haven't played it in ages and am unlikely to" ... wait for a day or two... Me: "Here's that bass on basschat. Looks nice doesn't it? Here are some others that are WAY more expensive - it really is a bargain" Mrs: " A Rickenbacker? You've wanted one of those for ages. I don't know why you bought that Thunderbird instead of getting a Ric" Me: "Rickenbackers are a lot more expensive than Thunderbirds" Mrs: "Well, I suppose if you're selling the Jazz to go towards it..." Me: "Trouble is, it's a buyers' market at the moment. Nobody has any money. Prices are way down - which is why the Ric is so cheap" Mrs: "Where is it?" ... etc. By which point it's in the bag :D [/quote]

I read the last line as "..pointing; 'It's in that bag'."!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1378745299' post='2204123']
It's the same with the current mrs discreet. I burble on excitedly about my most recent acquisition...
...to which the response is always the same:

Me: Wow, check out my new [bass/amp/cab/strap/lead/pre/what-have-you] !!
TCMD: (Not looking up from iPhone) That's nice, dear.
[/quote]

That's a familiar sounding scene... To be honest I do the same when faced with a conversation about which coloured laundry basket we should buy...

Rob

Edited by CamdenRob

i think i'm pretty lucky, my wife has let me buy a fair amount of gear over the 5 years we've been married, i've asked every time and the usual reply is "have you got room for it?" i've sold and traded a few along the way to make way for new kit with the exception of the last acoustic guitar i bought which actually came into the house because it's owner was going to Africa for a year and didn't want it going into storage, when they got back i was so enthusiastic about how nice it was that they offered to sell it to me as they were moving to africa long term!

i have just agreed the purchase of a piano though as i promised to buy one for my wife before we were married and we've finally seen one that she likes (and i've actually really been trying as well!) and i've promised her a saxaphone when she gets her chartered engineer status as she's always wanted to play (tried to learn when she was a kid but the school had too many sax players so she ended up playing the oboe.)

Matt

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1378829739' post='2205254']
with the exception of the last acoustic guitar i bought which actually came into the house because it's owner was going to Africa for a year and didn't want it going into storage, when they got back i was so enthusiastic about how nice it was that they offered to sell it to me as they were moving to africa long term!

[/quote] Yeah, yeah - we've heard that one before (see yepmop's post earlier) :D These are bass players you're talking to! You can see from the above what a devious bunch we are so we're not falling for it! :rolleyes:

I put the feelers out on a DB tonight , I think it will have to look good as it will be a bit of show piece furnture , I think that one might get spotted hiding behind the sofa , mind you we had a walk around PMT in manchester a few weeks back and she wanted me to buy a Orange Terrorbass 500 combo because it looked cool :gas: . I did not have the funding and I was only browsing anyway but it showed willing B)

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1378864201' post='2205796']
My OH suffers badly from PMS. I have to time buying milk at the right time of the month, never mind basses. Love her to bits though.
[/quote]

When my mum gets a bit fed up with me, she gets some flowers from M&S. Not sure I can afford to keep her happy much longer :D It does work though. She got a bouquet this morning and shouted all excited up the stairs at me "THE FLOWERS ARRIVED!". She had no idea they were coming :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1378865486' post='2205797']
She had no idea they were coming
[/quote]

Er ... hate to break the news to you, Milty, but:
"THE FLOWERS ARRIVED!"

She'd been humming for quite a while already:
"Lalalalala ... Ma'tin bin baaad. Momma's gettin' flowahz..."

If you've got a joint account then don't even bother buying one.Apparantly the money that the new bass costs could be put to "better" use on things like food,clothes,bills etc :huh: .
Reminding the misus that you are the principle wage earner is the fastest way to several weeks kipping on the sofa :( .
I resorted to pleading,crying,and even self harm.Once the stitches are out I'll be able to play the new bass I got 4 months ago....... ;)