Why become a member? ×

Recognition

lurksalot

I don't mean that people recognise your talent ( or lack of on my case ) , just that you actually get recognised in a different place or context for being in a show or a band from a stage performance.

I did a survey appointment a few weeks ago and the customer looked at me quizzically and asked me if I was in the band he saw at a pub a couple of weeks previously
Yes, yes I was, it made my day in a curious faux celebrity kind of way . It's not that I now have to wear a disguise when I go to tesco or anything.
Has anyone else had surprise recognition that has brought a smile to your face

Last year I worked for a local gas company. In the course of a conversation I mentioned I played in a band (true) and that I was a well known local rock star (boll*cks).

After much leg pulling and shouts of "your talking mince" and X factor type jokes, a couple of days later, a customer comes in and says that he knew me from a pub I have played on many occasions and I was indeed a member of a really good band and could play and sing a bit as well.

That shut the others up for a few mins. I was also spotted by a the pharmacist in a local Lloyds chemist.

Ah Fame :rolleyes:

Happened once or twice when I was playing with my punk band - a few times I went up Birmingham or to another band's show and would run into someone who'd seen us play before and recognise me from it. Really meant a lot to me that we were leaving an impression, and that they remembered the bass player of all people - hopefully for the right reasons :lol:

I used to play in a band that played every last Friday of the month at a local venue that was always packed.....

I was stopped a few time whilst out in Nottingham and asked .."aren't you in The Diamonds?" (we didn't know there had been a band with a big hit in the fifties called The Diamonds)
" We have seen you loads of times at the Vic"... "you're great!" ....
.It used to lead to much leg pulling from friends and just a tinge of envy as it was usually a female that recognised me!!!

In a different way...

I was asked (twice) if I was Shaun Lock (before i put weight on I did look a lot like him ....now people in the street shout "shauns Dad"!)....It confused me because at the time I was living in Tenerife and had never heard of him.

I did comment the second time..."If I was a successfull TV comic....what makes you think that I would be playing bass in a bar in Tenerife?"

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1377002483' post='2182017']
I've stood next to punters in the toilets at my own gigs and not been recognised ...
[/quote]

In all fairness, most people spend their time in toilets trying looking anywhere but the bloke piddling next to them :)

I used to play in a band called Goliath in Exeter, all big lads, very recgonisable and always spotted walking round the town as my then g/f always noticed. We were waiting outside the back of Bristol Colston Hall for Level42 to come out post gig and a guy standing up on a raised bit holding on to a railing suddenly starts shouting "Goliath Goliath" at the top of his voice and pointing at me in amongst this big crowd of L42 fans!! Needless to say the only comment the g/f could make was "can't f**king take you anywhere!!" 😉

In my current band I've become mr anonymous and in truth I think that's exactly how the singer wants it, along with the other two of us backing him. In the past I've had the usual 'well played mate' stuff on my way to the bar at the end of a set but I don't recall actually being recognised entirely out of context which I think is what the OP was about. However in most previous bands I've played with hair down and in clothes I wouldn't be wearing on the street and looked quite different so not surprised.

Years ago, we played on the isle of Mull at a dance in the hall. Next day on the ferry home, I was asked by a guy if I was in the band that had been playing last night. I was like, yeah man, proud as hell (it had been a great night) and he said, "you should be called the f***in loud machine, what a racket!" Fair took the wind out of my sails :blush:

Never as a 'musician' (I prefer the faceless [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_Resistance_%28band%29"]Undergound Resistance[/url] approach).

Although I used to occasionally get recognised when I worked for our local rag, the Manchester Evening News (my clubs/gig column had a byline photo)... but 99% of the time it was by scroats wanting me to help them blag their way into gigs.

I also used to get mistaken for looking like Leigh Francis during his Bo' Selecta days. Flattering, I know :blink:

My late-band had a guitarist for a while who also plays in another high-ish profile local band - 2 guitars, drums, bass, singer. He said one day someone came up to him in the street and said - 'hey, don't you play in X?' Feeling pretty good he said, 'yes mate, I do'. Guy said 'your guitar player is the nuts, isn't he'...

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1377008387' post='2182123']
I used to play in a band called Goliath in Exeter, all big lads, very recgonisable and always spotted walking round the town as my then g/f always noticed. We were waiting outside the back of Bristol Colston Hall for Level42 to come out post gig and a guy standing up on a raised bit holding on to a railing suddenly starts shouting "Goliath Goliath" at the top of his voice and pointing at me in amongst this big crowd of L42 fans!! Needless to say the only comment the g/f could make was "can't f**king take you anywhere!!"
[/quote]

With Big Norm and Mike Soundy?

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1377010262' post='2182177']

With Big Norm and Mike Soundy?
[/quote]

Me and Big Norm started it early nineties with a singer, Dave Wells, drummers Dave then Phil. Then we got a welsh guy on vocals called Clive, who I believe is still with Norm now, along with Mark Ford on drums. I left for while having fallen out with Norm then came back for bit until Norm went off to do something else. As far as I know it's still going as Goliath, the story is that Norm and Clive decided to get the original band together, I'm still waiting for the phone call 😉.

Occasionally, usually in Weymouth or Dorchester and then only if I'm wearing my stage clobber.

I once played a gig in Poole where I went for a pi** in the interval. The bloke standing next to me at the urinal started talking to me about how great the band were and how he'd seen them loads of times.

"How many times have you seen them?" he asks me

I replied that I'd never actually seen the band play, but that I'd been to every one of their gigs since 2011....