Why become a member? ×

Sunburst -- Classic or Cliche'?

Lowender

I like sunburst. In many ways, I think it's the way a guitar should like. Nothing else has such an iconic color scheme.

I also have several basses and guitars with various other finishes that I find nice. But if I had to pick one bass with one color, gotta go with burst.

I just don't understand the hate for sunburst. (Or tort pickgaurds but that may be another argument for another time).

Anyway, what's your take? If you like it...why? If you hate it...why?

I've just disliked the sunburst colour schemes since I was a lad in the sixties.
Dunno why really, but I guess it has something to do with the total design of electric string instruments. Even in the sixties I felt those designs were of a different era (from twenties to fifties), and spawned very uneasy choices, and I do still feel most of them are uneasy and old fashioned as well as cliché indeed.

Once promised myself to never own a sunburst.
However, that promise is on the return, as I see more and more sunbursty basses that I do fancy, like some of the Music Man Honey Bursts.

best,
bert

Classic.

As a lad I loved the old fashioned look of it on JPJ's Led Zep jazz bass. It looked as wooly and big and brown as it sounded!

Disclaimer:
I DON'T like sunburst that has a big fat line of red through it that almost reaches the pickguard, that looks cheesy sorry. It's got to be a subtle 'burst as close to the edge of the body as poss. That way the effect is more seamless and easy on the eye.

You asked! ;)

I think it's one of the classic finishes as per above contributions. Personally I'm really not a fan.

I like natural wood, it's has so many varieties, colours, grains and textures it just seems a pity to cover it all up - unless it's cheap and nasty of course :)

Sunburst is OK. I don't have any strong preference either way for it. When it's done right on the right instrument it looks great - difficult to put my finger on it. I don't own any sunburst instruments, but that's just the way it's gone down. Got a G&L Tribute L-2000 in Blueburst, that's nice.

Time for an audit - 3 black, 2 gold (or at least gold top), 1 CAR, 1 white, 2 natural, 1 blueburst, and one soon to be cherry red translucent.

I guess I have pretty simple tastes. Black, gold, red, white, blue and natural. No purple frosts, Inverness greens or shell pinks here, sorry.

It's a classic now I'm the wrong side of 40. When I young it was the devil's ball juice.

Mind you I was a rocker back then and nothing would take the edge off one's lime green and black tiger strip spandex, pink fingerless gloves, pastel jacket with the sleeves rolled up and back combed hair like a dirty looking sunburst bass.

Never liked it, I like to see the form and shape of the guitar. Sunburst just seems to muddy that up to my eye.

I do like some of the other colour bursts that you can get, but they seem to have a less pronounced change of colour more just a gradual darkening. But the whole nicotine yellow to red to black doesn't do it for me.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1376636637' post='2177045']
Meh. It's OK, I suppose....

[/quote]

Interesting how you have a tortie pickguard on each one...

Sunburst and white is cliché, I think the reason why is because it feels like every budget, Chinese-made Strat knock-off comes in this colour. The same way I don't like Candy Apple Red on a bass.

Sunburst and black tries to make things a bit cooler, but doesn't work as well as sunburst and tortie. I like this last combination to the extent that I'm considering adding a tortie pickguard to my Squier VMJ Fretless...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1376636637' post='2177045']
Meh. It's OK, I suppose....

[/quote]
That Jazz is fantastic. Well done sir. OT, I don't mind burst finishes if they're done correctly. Some budget instruments have awful bursts that don't have a seamless transition between shades and IMO this is what gives the technique a bad rep.

I quite like sunburst P and J basses with a tort plate (In fact I have one) But they must have a rosewood board a la Jamerson. I cant stand maple necks on a burst, it looks wrong. And also sunburst Stats and Teles look ugly IMHO

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1376631150' post='2177001']
Classic.

As a lad I loved the old fashioned look of it on JPJ's Led Zep jazz bass. It looked as wooly and big and brown as it sounded!

Disclaimer:
[b]I DON'T like sunburst that has a big fat line of red through it that almost reaches the pickguard, that looks cheesy sorry. It's got to be a subtle 'burst as close to the edge of the body as poss. That way the effect is more seamless and easy on the eye.[/b]

You asked! ;)
[/quote]

Agree 100%.