Why become a member? ×

eBay fees

ash

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1375879497' post='2166809']
I've received no phone calls from my bank asking whether I was in a shop in Bangkok attempting to pay for a Maserati
[/quote]

I'd be more likely to get 'Basildon and Mini' than 'Bangkok and Maserati'. :)

I have noticed a real swing towards free postage in recent weeks, I wonder it that is in readiness of these new charges coming in or just because it looks more attractive than a purchase price plus additional postage costs, half of which are grossly over the top even given Royal Mail's extortionate rates nowadays

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1375871745' post='2166646']
I don't see what the problem is. You simply factor in the extra eBay fee on top of your postage and packing cost.

[/quote]

+1

take your item, look at how much you want for it (realistically), add 10% to it and start the bidding with free PnP.

with that methodology, you are theoretically covered.

with ebay back in the day, you could make some money on items. to date, you'll be lucky to break even now. its just an online 'cash converters' with a really large audience.

i dont understand why they feel the need to screw their customers over, we're not getting an improvement on service or anything. we're just getting f**ked for it. but its the reality of life in general i guess. people will find alternatives.

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1375901950' post='2167241']
+1

take your item, look at how much you want for it (realistically), add 10% to it and start the bidding with free PnP.

with that methodology, you are theoretically covered.
[/quote]
I did a small experiment where i sold 20 similar items for the same total price. 10 were sold for £5 including free postage and 10 were sold for £3.80 + £1.20 postage. I sold much less of the items where postage was free. I know this is not a scientific experiment but people are well aware that when there is free P+P they know full well that they are paying for it.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1375902298' post='2167251']
Pretty sure it isn't luck that provides my income.
[/quote]

I think it still works if you're businesslike about it, there has been a wholesale transition from small private user to large business user. If you're clever (which of course t goes without saying...), you still win

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1375902949' post='2167264']
I did a small experiment where i sold 20 similar items for the same total price. 10 were sold for £5 including free postage and 10 were sold for £3.80 + £1.20 postage. I sold much less of the items where postage was free. I know this is not a scientific experiment but people are well aware that when there is free P+P they know full well that they are paying for it.
[/quote]

That's better science than a lot of the crap that makes it into the newspapers and onto TV

Edited by Beedster

I think with the combination of Royal mail and ebays greediness I dont think it is worth selling anything on ebay now if your a small private seller by the time you've sold a few little things you don't really make anything much and have the hassle of wrapping and packaging then getting to the post office blah blah blah I also think the cost of postage messes up a lot of sales as sometimes when you buy second hand stuff not just on ebay but anywhere by the time you put postage on it can be cheaper to buy a new item from the shop with free P+P than a used item 9 times out of 10 bloody robbing Royal mail,

My Grandson is mad on the Disney "Cars" characters, so we've been collecting them for him, and presenting them on Birthdays and so on. Recently, the Wife did her sums, and found it was cheaper in some cases to order them NEW from America (including postage) than it was to buy them second-hand on evilbay! The Postage costs on some of the stuff in the UK has gone ballistic, and I can imagine it jumping even more when the Post Office is 'fully' Privatised. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1375908552' post='2167396']
I think with the combination of Royal mail and ebays greediness I dont think it is worth selling anything on ebay now if your a small private seller by the time you've sold a few little things you don't really make anything much and have the hassle of wrapping and packaging then getting to the post office blah blah blah I also think the cost of postage messes up a lot of sales as sometimes when you buy second hand stuff not just on ebay but anywhere by the time you put postage on it can be cheaper to buy a new item from the shop with free P+P than a used item 9 times out of 10 bloody robbing Royal mail,
[/quote]
Yep, I've got a few things I wouldn't mind shifting but the hassle of selling makes me think it's not worth the effort, in spite of what we think about ebay it is run by hard headed business men, market forces will make them make selling more attractive when they realise the small sellers aren't there anymore.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1375991686' post='2168435']
Ebay is dead to me. They have priced themselves out of the game.
[/quote]

I still use it very infrequently - But only to buy stuff, and only if it's local-ish and cash-on-collection.

What do you reckon the cost is to sell on there now(including paypals slice)? I've only ever bought and I realise this info is freely available on their site, but I'm slightly thick and very lazy so a quick summary would be nice from a seasoned ebayer.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1376039974' post='2168821']
10% of final value capped at £75. Also a listing fee which varies by starting price and item type.
PayPal take 3.4% also

Seller gets what's left
[/quote]

I'd rather sell on here for a fw quid less than give ebay/paypal the thick end of 15%

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376040095' post='2168823']
With every other weekend being free listings as well as 100 items a month starting at 99p or less, anyone paying the listing fees is a mug.
[/quote]

Seems to be not this weekend, they skip a weekend every now and again. Also odd random weekday, there was a free Wednesday, where I panic listed loads of stuff out of a sense of obligation to use it.

Bet they are making a killing!

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I recently sold a amp to a very nice chap on here, shortly after putting it on Ebay I got a msg through the bass chat marketplace so I took it off ebay straight away and held the amp for a couple of months while the guy got everything sorted. I sold the amp for a little less than the reserve, paid the insertion fees and probably still saved myself £30/£40 as the final fees would have been £50/£60! Robbing sods![/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I'm def gonna stick to using the bass chat market place! [/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='baseline9' timestamp='1376051514' post='2169035']
Bet they are making a killing!

[font=Arial]I recently sold a amp to a very nice chap on here, shortly after putting it on Ebay I got a msg through the bass chat marketplace so I took it off ebay straight away and held the amp for a couple of months while the guy got everything sorted. I sold the amp for a little less than the reserve, paid the insertion fees and probably still saved myself £30/£40 as the final fees would have been £50/£60! Robbing sods![/font]

[font=Arial]I'm def gonna stick to using the bass chat market place! [/font]
[/quote]
same story when I sold my stingray, but at the end of the day you get a lot bigger market with ebay, just make sure your fees are reflected in the price you start at, or the reserve if you prefer (never seen the point in reserves myself)

Also, with regards to avoiding the fees, ebay support cancelling any bids and ending the auction early, so list it free for the price you want, and if there is a bid, message them your details (not offering to sell outside ebay, just contact) and end the listing. I confirmed this with them online, and have the transcript. They regard pulling listings with bids as 'nice':

[quote]
[size=3][b]Lynn Richie [/b][color=#0000FF][font=Arial]20:55:55[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial]I have carefully checked the transaction and I can see here that the seller has ended the listing before you have won for the item. In this instance, we won't be able to take action against the seller at the moment. What we can take action is that when a buyer won for the item already and they have refused to sell the item with you. Sellers won't be able to end their listing as well if the listing is less than 12 hours remaining on the site, so there is still chance for other bidders to bid.[/font][/color]

[b]incarante [/b][color=#FF3300][font=Arial]20:56:37[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial]to encourage last minute bidding? or to allow avoidance of fees by not having to pay for a reserve?[/font][/color]

[b]incarante [/b][color=#FF3300][font=Arial]20:58:24[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial]cancelling bids because insufficient price has been reach is acceptable practice? Be good to know with the amount of items I list[/font][/color]

[b]Lynn Richie [/b][color=#0000FF][font=Arial]20:58:35[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial]Oliver, please be advised that if the seller will continue the sale to other buyers outside eBay then the transaction will not be recorded and they won't be able to seek help for us regarding their buyers. So it will be their lost.[/font][/color]

[b]Lynn Richie [/b][color=#0000FF][font=Arial]21:00:31[/font][/color][/size]
[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=1][size=3]Oliver, I do understand your predicament regarding this matter and it is good to know that you are cautious enough regarding this matter. We do not condone sellers breaching our policy however in this situation there is no breach of policy yet as they have no winning buyer yet. You have just bidded for the item.[b] It is nice that they have ended it[/b] rather than you winning for the item and paying for it without you receiving the item[/size].[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

Edited by Mr. Foxen

Unfortunately they can charge these fees as there are few places where you can find the same level of items or sell stuff. I have looked at the other online auction sites many times and they have a fraction of the items (specifically guitars) that ebay has and dont reach anything like as many people.

Might give one a try to sell a rocknbetter on sometime to see if the tenticles reach there, but in general they never seem to get to a critical level required to sell stuff