Why become a member? ×

eBay fees

ash

They've changed the way private sellers pay fees again folks and guess who loses out -

05 August, 2013 | 11:54AM BST

Hello,

From 4 September, final value fees for all private sellers will change, as well as insertion fees for private sellers with a Basic Shop on eBay.co.uk

Final value fees change for all private sellers

Final value fees will be charged based on the combined value of the item listed plus postage. For example, if an item sells for £20 with postage cost of £4, the final value fee will be charged based on the combined value of £24. This will not apply if the listing offers collection only.
More reasons to subscribe to the market here on Basschat :)

Bound to happen as people were selling at low BIN but charging a fortune for postage to get around the fees. ebay have got very greedy and are now only really viable for businesses or people with loads of crap to sell, you just lose too much money selling there at the moment.

Far too many people scamming on the postage, it was pretty inevitable. I prefer sending my own courier, so I encounter them a lot. Generally if I work it like that I do my best to take it off ebay anyway. Really, ebay is for people who don't know what their item should be priced at.

eBay sucks giant hairy moose balls. Everything is biased towards buyers, yet it's the sellers who enable eBay's huge profits.
PayPal gets on my tits, too - can you imagine any proper bank freezing your assets on a whim for seven days and with no good reason? Bastards.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1375818296' post='2166179']
eBay sucks giant hairy moose balls. Everything is biased towards buyers, yet it's the sellers who enable eBay's huge profits.
PayPal gets on my tits, too - can you imagine any proper bank freezing your assets on a whim for seven days and with no good reason? Bastards.
[/quote]

You're lucky it was only 7 days, they had £400 of my cash for almost two months. They then tried to deduct it again (in error, which at least they admitted). If you have a Paypal account, do NOT connect it to a bank account with anything more than a few quid in it

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1375818699' post='2166184']

You're lucky it was only 7 days, they had £400 of my cash for almost two months. They then tried to deduct it again (in error, which at least they admitted). If you have a Paypal account, do NOT connect it to a bank account with anything more than a few quid in it
[/quote]

Yes they just did a similar thing with me - I bought a bass, the seller decided they didn't want to sell it because of the extortionate fees and refunded me, Paypal put my account on hold 'pending investigation' - they have become so paranoid - I suspect they thought I was going outside of eBay when in actual fact it was a legitimate issue with the seller. I only just got my money back but it was refunded to my PayPal account rather than the bank account it came from.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1375819593' post='2166204']
I only just got my money back but it was refunded to my PayPal account rather than the bank account it came from.
[/quote]

And they play the game there also, it takes about two weeks to get a refund, and then you have to transfer it back to your bank taking more time still. Far worse than banks

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1375818699' post='2166184']
If you have a Paypal account, do NOT connect it to a bank account with anything more than a few quid in it
[/quote]

+1 This is good advice. You really don't want PayPal to have access to your funds. They're a total pain in the arse.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1375820921' post='2166225']
+1 This is good advice. You really don't want PayPal to have access to your funds. They're a total pain in the arse.
[/quote]

There's also the suggestion that your bank account is more vulnerable to hacking via Paypal than via normal online banking. No idea if it's true but I've seen it suggested several times

Doesn't help that it costs a fortune to send anything Royal Mail, and now on top of the postage and packaging costs you've got to pay Ebay a percentage on top.

I'm selling a pedal there at the moment and have put the carriage on at £8.50 as that's what it cost me to ship a microphone a couple of months ago, so should be the genuine cost of shipping it (not including packaging, which in fairness I'll nick from work and the petrol/parking costs of going to the post office), but later in the year Ebay will make margin on my costs? seems a bit wrong to me.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1375857407' post='2166433']
Doesn't help that it costs a fortune to send anything Royal Mail, and now on top of the postage and packaging costs you've got to pay Ebay a percentage on top.

I'm selling a pedal there at the moment and have put the carriage on at £8.50 as that's what it cost me to ship a microphone a couple of months ago, so should be the genuine cost of shipping it (not including packaging, which in fairness I'll nick from work and the petrol/parking costs of going to the post office), but later in the year Ebay will make margin on my costs? seems a bit wrong to me.
[/quote]

Agree with all that. I think Ebay are 'building up' to incorporating ordering postage as part of the checkout process. As you can order couriers or pay for postage online now already, cant be that difficult

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1375821082' post='2166230']
There's also the suggestion that your bank account is more vulnerable to hacking via Paypal than via normal online banking. No idea if it's true but I've seen it suggested several times
[/quote]

I think most people are internet 'savvy' enough not to fall for [i]'You must be resetting your accountings passwods or your account will be shutted'[/i] messages, but I bet a fair few of them would fall for fake Ebay messages because it's not their bank account and isn't instantly perceived to need the same degree of care and attention.

I don't see what the problem is. You simply factor in the extra eBay fee on top of your postage and packing cost.

Since the fees will be calculated on the total price including packaging, I can see little point for listing domestic postage separately. Therefore when these new rules come into force I'll simply add my postage costs to the overall price of the item and then offer "free postage". It will allow me to be able to list items where eBay sets limits on the postage which don't cover the costs of the packaging and recorded delivery.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1375871132' post='2166635']
I think most people are internet 'savvy' enough not to fall for [i]'You must be resetting your accountings passwods or your account will be shutted'[/i] messages, but I bet a fair few of them would fall for fake Ebay messages because it's not their bank account and isn't instantly perceived to need the same degree of care and attention.
[/quote]

I haven't received one fake eBay or Paypal email since closing my account, I used to get them all the time, i.e., several per week. Could be complete coincidence of course?

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1375871930' post='2166650']
I haven't received one fake eBay or Paypal email since closing my account, I used to get them all the time, i.e., several per week. Could be complete coincidence of course?
[/quote]

That would lead me to suspect that either the fake e-mails weren't fakes, or that someone has access to data that they shouldn't have.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1375871626' post='2166643']
Yes that really p1553d me off . Avoid member "hollygrassby" who bids and wins and never pays. She has "textual" negative feedback only. Can't neg her.
[/quote]

I did make an ebayers to block thread: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/181272-blocking-problem-ebayers/

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1375878342' post='2166791']
....or that someone has access to data that they shouldn't have.
[/quote]

That's the conclusion I came to. As I said, could be pure coincidence. In fact it probably is coincidence, as the alternative explanation is either that Paypal's data security is very poor, or that they pass on lists of members to third parties and that those third parties have very poor data security). However, in the three months since I closed the account I've received no spam/fraud emails. Coincidentally, in the same time, I've received no phone calls from my bank asking whether I was in a shop in Bangkok attempting to pay for a Maserati, which was also a pretty regular event (Bangkok/Maserati's weren't specifically regular, but the calls from Fraud Protection were).