Why become a member? ×

eBay fees

ash

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1376053204' post='2169063']
same story when I sold my stingray, but at the end of the day you get a lot bigger market with ebay, just make sure your fees are reflected in the price you start at, or the reserve if you prefer (never seen the point in reserves myself)
[/quote]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I found with setting a starting price over a reserve price is people tend not to bid and they are more likely to bid if it starts at £0.99p, even with a reserve (I think it’s physiological). I studied many similar auctions prior to putting my own on there and came to this conclusion. In this day and age I have found people are not making the luxury big purchases they once were so I was not expecting to get top dollar for the amp, you can factor in the fees but I was worried the auction would fail and the amp would not sell (Eg not reach the reserve), its a fine balance I guess, I kind of factored in half of the fees lol! Thankfully though It sold on Bass chat in the end. [/font][/color]

[color=#222222][font=Arial]That is the obvious benefit though, the thoustands of people who will see what you have put up for sale and I guess that’s what you pay for. More generally I think Ebay has gone down hill in the last few years; on a number of occassions I have found you can buy stuff cheaper from Amazon or Play and you don’t get stung for the high postage prices some sellers put on there. [/font][/color][/size]

Edited by baseline9

[quote name='baseline9' timestamp='1376310880' post='2171922']
[font=Arial]I found with setting a starting price over a reserve price is people tend not to bid and they are more likely to bid if it starts at £0.99p, even with a reserve (I think it’s physiological). [/font]
[/quote]
Personally, if an item has got a reserve price I don't bother, not knowing how high it is puts me off, but that could just be me. I just start the auction at the lowest price I will accept then everybody knows where they stand

If there's a reserve price on something that I really, really fancy, I ask the seller what it is. They may or may not choose to tell me. If it's above what I want to pay, it saves me bidding fruitlessly. Alternatively, if you happen to have a spare account, you could bid a big price which will then set the bid to the reserve, then cancel the bid (the spare account is in case the seller gets miffed by this behaviour and blocks you).

The big advantage for me of ebay is that if I want to get shot of something and I'm not terribly bothered about how much I get for it, bunging it in at 99p and no reserve means it'll be gone in ten days. It's all very well bemoaning how much ebay take and how the BC marketplace is much cheaper, but if you're still waiting to sell your bass six months down the line then ebay's fat fees may become less relevant.

[quote name='baseline9' timestamp='1376310880' post='2171922']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I found with setting a starting price over a reserve price is people tend not to bid and they are more likely to bid if it starts at £0.99p, even with a reserve (I think it’s physiological). I studied many similar auctions prior to putting my own on there and came to this conclusion. In this day and age I have found people are not making the luxury big purchases they once were so I was not expecting to get top dollar for the amp, you can factor in the fees but I was worried the auction would fail and the amp would not sell (Eg not reach the reserve), its a fine balance I guess, I kind of factored in half of the fees lol! Thankfully though It sold on Bass chat in the end. [/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

The important bit with starting at the right price is you only need one bid. Only needing one person after your item at that price rather than two.

I normally put it in at the minumum price I would accept, on auction, I don't like reserve. The only other time is if I do a buy it now, which I normally don't do, although I did for a rockinbacker at the weekend, as I figured it might not be there for long, which was right!