Why become a member? ×

RAF base gig and being told what to wear

markbunney

We have a gig coming up at an RAF base soon which could be a big opportunity for us to get regular gigs at other bases.

Firstly, does anyone have any experiene of playing at these places, if so what are they like?

Secondly, we have been told that there is a dress code for people attending the event, including the band. They want chinos for men and cocktail dresses for women. We are a hard rock covers band and are going to end up looking like Michael Buble's backing band :(

Edited by markbunney

[quote name='markbunney' timestamp='1374683798' post='2151840']

Secondly, we have been told that there is a dress code for people attending the event, including the band. They want chinos for men and cocktail dresses for men.
[/quote]

I wanna go, just for this :)

[quote name='markbunney' timestamp='1374684401' post='2151863']

We accepted the gig a while back, but have only just been informed of these conditions
[/quote]

If you're a covers band accepting money to entertain people, I'm afraid playing the 'artistic integrity' card isn't really an option...

Don't get me wrong, im not being precious about it.

It will just feel weird belting out guns n roses, bon jovi, stones etc in chinos!

They booked us on the strength of a couple of YouTube videos in which our singer was wearing a glittery silver bandana and eye liner!

Oh well, hopefully it will be a good gig :)

[quote name='markbunney' timestamp='1374684401' post='2151863']
We accepted the gig a while back, but have only just been informed of these conditions
[/quote]

Any change of conditions gives you the right to withdraw from the gig - just like any contract really.

But . . .

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1374684965' post='2151878']
....on a serious note have you asked them if they realise they have booked a hard rock band and that traditionally these people don't even own that kind of clobber let alone wear it out in public!
[/quote]

. . . that's the best suggestion yet. Talking is generally good. Everything is negotiable.

I'd double check that they know what kind of band they've booked.

I would guess the night will go something like this...

DJ during the food, band come on for first set, band don't come on for second set, DJ takes over. Band doesn't get paid.

As a covers band, we played at an army base 3 times last year, they are really good gigs compared to pub gigs, guaranteed audience that will love you if you are any good. We played the officers mess Xmas party, I wore a dinner jacket........ Not my usual attire but it was fun.

Jas

I played a couple of RAF bases in Germany back in the 90s. It was a soul band so the outfits weren't too far out of line but they didn't seem to mind the drummer having green hair or the band turning up for breakfast in the officers mess, when the uniformed types were having lunch. It was a great tour though, the people stationed out there were bored out of their minds and just itching to crazy on the weekends, and there was a lot of free booze. A lot!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1374684322' post='2151860']
If you don't like their terms, don't accept the gig.
[/quote]

This...but I'd also be concerned whether they know what they've booked.

The upside is that these military gigs do ..or can look after you very well.
The food/spread they put on can be pretty amazing...they sure eat well.

For this, I'd suck up...if these are the gigs you want... if not, then you can always pass

Did a few Navy & Army base gigs in Hong Kong before the handover. Had to wear DJ's and some of the sets didn't finish till quite late. A good blast though, and good payers too. Go with the flow and enjoy, it's a good circuit.

Edited by mep