Why become a member? ×

3 senior gents, moved to tears by their own song

John Cellario

[quote name='booboo' timestamp='1374279570' post='2147255']
Sometimes liking a particular bit of music just doesn't matter. This video is worth watching just to see the connection that music can make between people.
[/quote]

I know xilddx has already endorsed this but I think it's worth repeating. This, surely, is what music at its best is all about.

I'm always amused when dinosaurs are used in a disparaging manner. Remind me how long they were the dominant species on this planet compared with our own blink of an eye?

Or perhaps I'm mistaken and you really meant that such classic rock will rule the roost for millions of years? ;)

Edited by flyfisher

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1374323504' post='2147555']...Remind me how long they were the dominant species on this planet compared with our own blink of an eye?...[/quote]

...although I don't know what 'proof' we have that they (the dinosaurs...) were, indeed, 'top dog'..? Maybe they would run a mile at the merest whisper of a gad-fly, or lie down and give up when encountering a shrew..? We have their fossils remains, and can speculate with our present-day intellect as to conditions 'back then', but are we sure..? They maybe survived for so many aeons precisely because they were afraid of their own shadow..! :lol:
I agree, of course, regarding the relative longevity of our own species; we've perhaps already outstayed our welcome, too... :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1374329076' post='2147660']
...although I don't know what 'proof' we have that they (the dinosaurs...) were, indeed, 'top dog'..? Maybe they would run a mile at the merest whisper of a gad-fly, or lie down and give up when encountering a shrew..? We have their fossils remains, and can speculate with our present-day intellect as to conditions 'back then', but are we sure..? They maybe survived for so many aeons precisely because they were afraid of their own shadow..! :lol:
[/quote]

Fair point. I know plenty of people who run around screaming at the merest hint of a wasp. :lol:

The arrangement is very very tastefully done - finely crafted and orchestrated. The vocal arrangements enhanced the basic elements of guitar and drums we're all so familiar with. Ann Wilsons voice is perfect for the song but I was left a bit flat by the lack of energy in her performance. The occasion is clearly important and there is a heavy expectation of a dramatic production. Decorum in these situations dictates an equally dramatic show of appreciation. Almost like a presidential campaign rally, I ended up feeling like reaction was a little contrived.

Its a no to the next round from me.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1374323504' post='2147555']
I'm always amused when dinosaurs are used in a disparaging manner. Remind me how long they were the dominant species on this planet compared with our own blink of an eye?

Or perhaps I'm mistaken and you really meant that such classic rock will rule the roost for millions of years? ;)
[/quote]
Dinosaurs is not a species.

Nice rendition. Percy's such an old lovey, though. [color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To Nancy Wilson afterwards: 'Oh, I've just learned to really abhor that song. I hate it, I hate it, I hate that song because people just murder that song, but you guys pulled it off and it was great and it really excellent.'[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bless him, eh. :) [/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As for the 'piping a manly eye at one's own ditty' here's Mr Paul Simon watching First Aid Kit do a bang-up job on 'America' at the Polar Music Awards. At the end he springs to his feet to ovate the frankly toothsome sister-act only to discover with poorly concealed dismay that the rest of the tiara-studded audience are welded firmly to their seats:[/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa3xOakbGTo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa3xOakbGTo[/url]

Edited by skankdelvar

Sir, how dare you. How very dare you. Hey nonny nonny, folder-oh and Plants garrulous wassailing underpin most of Led Zeppelin's finest moments. How they ever managed to step back from the brink of repopularising morris dancing, I'll never know.

(PS: In all seriousness, Led Zep are the greatest rock band ever.
PPS: A very good friend of mine is a well known Canadian folk rock singer and even SHE thinks folkies in the UK are a bit weird. Blackwater Side is in one of her sets BTW)

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1374354465' post='2148065']
Goes without saying its my opinion.
[/quote]
Jolly good.

I always thought that too many of their toons were a bit too twee for me for them to be a decent rock band.

Edited by BetaFunk

Great.

If you want to hear something more 'unusual' check out Dolly parton's version. Not for the faint hearted so you have been warned, and I take no responsibility for any resulting feelings of anger and despair.

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1374341377' post='2147842']
I don't think it's Zep's best either, in fact Plant is on record as saying he'd rather be remembered for 'Kashmir' than 'Stairway'. I like it once it gets going, the first half is all a bit 'Hey Nonny Nonny' for my liking.
[/quote]

I prefer it to Kashmir by a long, long way (it and No Quarter are my favourite Zep tracks), but I don't really think either opinion has much to do with the video, which to me is about the band's reaction to the performance; a fabulous thing to watch.

What a wonderful performance lots of emotion and that is what music is all about (and fun).

This is one of those songs that always makes me reflect on my life and what has gone before.

I can't understand why people are criticising it here (I do understand that not everyone likes it) let those who connect to it enjoy the moment without spoiling it for one reason or another. This song will be around a lot longer than any of us on here.