Why become a member? ×

Classic Combinations

aende

Another might be Gibson EB through Marshall with 4x12s. I'm thinking Jack Bruce and Andy Fraser (although they achieve totally different sounds!).

Can I also suggest a possible classic in the making?

There appears to be a number of people with Barefaced cabs who play Stingrays through a Streamliner. Maybe coincidence, maybe I've just noticed them because that's what I use.

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1372867012' post='2130941']
Headless Status and high wasteband
Warwick Thumb and carpel tunnel
Rickenbacker and a deep sense of regret
[/quote]

Splutter! Just inhaled some coffee reading that. Funny! :-D

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1372867012' post='2130941']
Headless Status and high wasteband
Warwick Thumb and carpel tunnel
Rickenbacker and a deep sense of regret
[/quote]

Hahaha! true, true, and thrice true :)

SWR and a Jazz.....

was a time when it didn't get any better...but SWR maybe don't make those amps anymore
altho they kind of do SM clones but things move on.

I would say my old SWR gear has been superceded by Aguilar in terms of a new take on a sound.
And the Aguilar DB is the new Ampeg...better made and better all round kit, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1372932856' post='2131729']
....I would say my old SWR gear has been superceded by Aguilar in terms of a new take on a sound.
And the Aguilar DB is the new Ampeg...better made and better all round kit, IMO....
[/quote]

+1

Aguilar's heavy cabs are great but they've missed a trick (and a massive market share) by not fully embracing neo cabs. They were late to the party and the range is too limited.

The "weekend warrior" market is huge and for some strange reason Aguilar have decided they don't want to be a significant part of it.

Markbass and Schroeder. Not "old" classic, but a combination that seems quite popular (or did).

P bass and flats. now this i dont get. Ive got them, i occasionally play them but i cant see the fascination in this set up. Its dull and lifeless.

It seems the (mainly) Americans think you HAVE to have flats on a P bass, going by the amount of talk over on TB.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1372930851' post='2131684']
Single Action Army and a Winchester '73.
[/quote]

Clarification; Winchester 73 ; 30.06 or 458 Magnum?

Winchester 73; the rifleman's rifle.

**Did anyone actually ever buy the acoustic 371 amp?

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1372953595' post='2132102']
Markbass and Schroeder. Not "old" classic, but a combination that seems quite popular (or did).

P bass and flats. now this i dont get. Ive got them, i occasionally play them but i cant see the fascination in this set up. Its dull and lifeless.

It seems the (mainly) Americans think you HAVE to have flats on a P bass, going by the amount of talk over on TB.
[/quote]
While I don't think you HAVE to have flats on a P, I'll jump right in and say that since I have put them on, they are all I now use. But I'm thinking they have to be the right flats. They are a long way from being all the same.

I really liked the sound of flats on a P in isolation but IME it got lost when it had to compete with two distortion coated guitars. In bands with more space for the bass to sit in I reckon they sound lovely.

How about Rickenbacker into a big old Sunn Colloseum head and a pair of matching Sunn 6x12's (plus a Marshall Superbass for distortion on the side) for that classic '70's prog sound?

Certainly the rig I always wanted as a teenager :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1373140155' post='2134135']
Stingray and Trace Elliot ah300smx / 1048+ 1048h or 1548...
Very 1990s, but good enough for the Levin, though.
[/quote]

Yep, this is a classic!

> Actually, wasn't the AH250 the one to have for some reason?

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1372887742' post='2131341']
Any one remember lugging these about with a P or a Jazz?
And taking out the passenger front seat to get it all in.... :lol:

[size=4][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/826/hqa4.jpg/"][/url][/size]

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/9jm4.jpg/"][/url]
[/quote]

Absolute classic rig - I loved my 371 rig in the late 70's/ early 80's. Effortless volume and power with a truly great sound. Actually very easy to move around with the wheels on the back and big cast handles. We used to play a club that had a grand carpeted stair and at the end of the night I'd wheel the 301 cab out and when no one was looking slide it down the stairs on its back! Wheel out to the estate car, tilt back, load in, done!

Feeling quite nostalgic now...

Ed

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1373444528' post='2137555']
[size=4]Feeling quite nostalgic now...[/size]
Ed [/quote]

Yep...
Huge sound from those Acoustic rigs.
Late 70's early 80's for me as well - I had also got my first [pre EB] Stingray at that time,
it was a classic set up for me.

Garry