Why become a member? ×

Who Should Get Free Basses For Life??

Just a random thought, with apologies if this has been done in some form before... which bass players do you think should receive free basses for the rest of their natural lives for services rendered to a particular make or model of instrument? For the purposes of this discussion we shall ignore the obvious fact that some already do, and the bass tarts who change their bass more often than they change their underwear... we're not talking cynical, mercenary endorsement here, just the players who you can't think of without also visualising their instrument of choice...

Just to get us started: Rickenbacker - I would like to nominate Chris Squire, Lemmy and Bruce Foxton.

Edited by lowregisterhead

Interestingly there's a lot of bassists who play Fenders but mask the Fender logo with tape when they play live. I'm assuming it's because they've tried to get a Fender endorsement and Fender have told them to 'Get the F*** outa here!'. So they've refused to give them free advertising.

I noticed it again in the Daft Punk video of Get Lucky. Niles Rodgers has his logo masked off too. If he isn't endorsed by Fender he should be.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5EofwRzit0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5EofwRzit0[/url]

Masking the logo on a Precision seems to be a bit pointless really.

Its so easily recognised, and Precisions are a sort of industry standard. So I cant see Fender giving a flying f*** really. Just drives home the point that, long term, Fender, unlike most boutique brands, are a bigger name than the artistes who play them.

Surely tfor a biggish name bassplayer to be seen playing a Precision copy would be much mre effective c/w logo, and say, a Westfield , or well known copy brand T shirt would hit Fender harder. That way kids, who will choose what their heroes play at first, maybe wouldnt be so quick to aspire to owning Fenders.

I'm not suggesting Westfields in particular, nor that they are as good bty ( although once set up nicely, some of em are much better than you would expect for the price)

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1371567735' post='2115621']
Masking the logo on a Precision seems to be a bit pointless really.

Its so easily recognised, and Precisions are a sort of industry standard. So I cant see Fender giving a flying f*** really. Just drives home the point that, long term, Fender, unlike most boutique brands, are a bigger name than the artistes who play them.

Surely tfor a biggish name bassplayer to be seen playing a Precision copy would be much mre effective c/w logo, and say, a Westfield , or well known copy brand T shirt would hit Fender harder. That way kids, who will choose what their heroes play at first, maybe wouldnt be so quick to aspire to owning Fenders.

I'm not suggesting Westfields in particular, nor that they are as good bty ( although once set up nicely, some of em are much better than you would expect for the price)
[/quote]

Some brands pay [b]BIG[/b] money to get product placement. Just look at the Bond movies. Bond now drinks Heineken beer and wears Omega watches as a direct result of deals made with the producers.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1371574821' post='2115760']
Some brands pay [b]BIG[/b] money to get product placement. Just look at the Bond movies. Bond now drinks Heineken beer and wears Omega watches as a direct result of deals made with the producers.
[/quote]

Yeah, I realise that. What I was suggesting was a way to make a point and maybe even nudge Fender, and perhaps others into paying, or at least supplying instruments, where at the moment they are apparently refusing that would be more effective than covering logos.

Not much point in covering the logo if everybody in the world will know its a Fender Bass anyway, is there ?

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1371539274' post='2115087']
Steve Harris, white P, mirror plate, Hammers sticker. Why on earth his sig is blue is beyond me. (notice, no comment on the R bomb?, oops, I just did).
[/quote]
It's because Steve's bass (the current white/West Ham one) had a Blue sparkle finish during what many consider to be classic period Maiden. See Live after Death period photos/videos and a fair bit before and after.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1371579794' post='2115846']
James Jamerson - p bass
Norman watt Roy - j bass

I regard to Steve Harris' sig, wasn't his number 1 sparkly blue at some point in the past? Also I would think it would sell more in blue sparkle than with a flippin west ham logo on it ;)
[/quote]

I'm going to put a Newcastle sticker on my black/white/maple Glaub :drinks:

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1371565823' post='2115590']
I noticed it again in the Daft Punk video of Get Lucky. Niles Rodgers has his logo masked off too. If he isn't endorsed by Fender he should be.
[/quote]

Is that a Fender? I saw that video the other day and wanted to know what type of bass it was. It looks rather groovy. Sounds it too!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1371579795' post='2115848']
Mark King probably will get Status basses (Statii) for the rest of his life..
[/quote]
Really, I'd of thought he was about ready for a change?

Most people still imagine Flea with a Ray and must still be a feckup on Sterling Balls part that there is no Flea sig model?

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1371582998' post='2115910']
Is that a Fender? I saw that video the other day and wanted to know what type of bass it was. It looks rather groovy. Sounds it too!
[/quote]

Looks like it's a perspex Dan Armstrong body with a Fender style neck. The truss rod looks like a bullet 70's style one, so it may be a Fender neck with the logo removed?

Like this one [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmn1HSKcHcI[/media]

If you want a perspex bass, Charlie Jones (Goldfrapps bass player) gets his made here [url="http://crimsonguitars.com/gallery/charlie-jones-perspex-bass/"]http://crimsonguitar...s-perspex-bass/[/url]

Edited by gjones