Why become a member? ×

Kate Bush is a bass player?

I was doing some surfing on the subject of the wonderfully original and completely gorgeous Kate Bush.

I saw that picture of her (again) with the Jazz bass [u]and[/u] I see there is more than one pic to be found of her gorgeousness with an upright.

Her wikipedia profile also lists bass as one of her instruments.

Is this true? Surely you can't look this good AND play bass. Anyone got any actual info on said Goddess playing bass?

She's a bit reclusive these days but popped up to receive a birthday honour recently.

[url="http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/kate-bush-makes-rare-public-1830011"]http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/kate-bush-makes-rare-public-1830011[/url]

I think she's a living legend.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1369155066' post='2085569']
I was doing some surfing on the subject of the wonderfully original and completely gorgeous Kate Bush.

I saw that picture of her (again) with the Jazz bass [u]and[/u] I see there is more than one pic to be found of her gorgeousness with an upright.

Her wikipedia profile also lists bass as one of her instruments.

Is this true? Surely you can't look this good AND play bass. Anyone got any actual info on said Goddess playing bass?

[/quote]

Odds on that this bass probably belonged to Del Palmer , bass player and Kate's long - time partner from the late Seventies to early Nineties . Nice looking bass ( Precision Bass with Badass bridge and early 70's Jazz Bass neck ) , and Kate ( late 1970's dolly bird with satin and sequins ) doesn't look too shabby either !

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1369165882' post='2085778']
I didn't know she played bass. I know David Gilmour plays fretless for her, and is very good.

Dan
[/quote]

Didn't Mick Karn too? and he was very good indeed!!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1369168817' post='2085844']

Didn't Mick Karn too? and he was very good indeed!!
[/quote]
He must be one of them, but Gilmour does play fretless for her. At least on a few tracks.

I should really listen to more Kate Bush.

Dan

[quote name='YouMa' timestamp='1369173577' post='2085959']
She does compose on bass sometimes i know that much. She is a very talented pianist which is often overlooked.
[/quote]
I remember when these photos were printed in an interview in International Musician - I was sure she spoke about writing on bass as well.

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1369172833' post='2085940']
Mick Karn did play some stuff fro Kate Bush yes. Not sure about Gilmour playing fretless tho. My personal fave bass player of Kates is John Giblin, his fretless work is just sublime, a joy to (try and) play.

As for kate being a bass player, I hope not :)
[/quote]

Danny Thompson played on some stuff too, and obviously Del Palmer. Gilmour played some guitar on sensual world, and produced her first demos, not sure about him playing bass on any of it though.
As far as I'm concerned kate can play anything she likes :)