Why become a member? ×

The London Bass Guitar Show 2014

Silvia Bluejay

Home now- would liked to have caught the Paul Turner session, though was a bit late in the day for me. Thanks to a friendly exhibitor I was on the guest list, which was was nice.
1. It was free entry
2. I got in 40 mins before the the general punters and was able to catch up with people and try some stuff before the rush.

P

Good day today (Despite enduring some minor food poisoning from a previous night...).

Came away with an Ortega bass uke, but it was agreed with the missus in advance, so all good! Highlight was Frank Bello's masterclass - the guy was just having too much fun!

I had a lovely day and was able to meet up with a bunch of friends and I also met a few new ones. Did anyone else notice nearly everyone had a Basschat lanyard on ;)

I also met Patrice Vigier... what a lovely man! I showed him a picture of my 80's bass and he seemed genuinely chuffed that I've looked after it so well.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/pedullaman/media/IMG_5342_zps7f0fb0a3.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/pedullaman/IMG_5342_zps7f0fb0a3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I also think the vibe was really different this year. As Mark at Bass Direct agreed, it's 'matured' and the show felt really inviting and friendly.

Here's to next year..

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/pedullaman/media/IMG_5343_zps59514162.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/pedullaman/IMG_5343_zps59514162.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Was my first LBGS and I've had a great day. Highlight was Frank Bello's masterclass - seems like a great guy and his enthusiasm and passion is just contagious!

The constant slapping w***ery was a bit annoying though.

Edited by HMX

What a fun day. :) Played lots of nice basses (ACG and Eve were the highlights), met up with old friends, met a couple of idols - an old one (Frank Bello) and a more recent one (Colin Edwin), and I'm going to do it all again tomorrow. :D

There was quite a lot of slap going on, mostly coming from the Anaconda Basses booth - the players who wanted to try out the GBs, Enfields and ACGs who were adjacent to them hardly got a chance to get a look in! I was unfortunately also guilty of applying thumb to string today, if a little more quietly than they were on the Anaconda booth!

I went down this morning with a mate, had to leave at quarter to 6 in the morning, urgh!

Was certainly one of the better visits though. It wasn't quite as full, and yes there was slap, but not so much that it was irritating, and I only did it once to get it out of the system (on Dave Swift's Fodera, poor thing :lol: ) Had a cracking time though, starting with being collared by T M Stevens who complained I didn't fist bump him hard enough, so had to do it again haha. Caught up with plenty of faces including Tom Kent, Dave Swift, Barrie (Molan) and the list can go on and on, but the highlight was meeting Leland Sklar... I'm a happy chappy now!

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1393708179' post='2383674']
I went down this morning with a mate, had to leave at quarter to 6 in the morning, urgh!

Was certainly one of the better visits though. It wasn't quite as full, and yes there was slap, but not so much that it was irritating, and I only did it once to get it out of the system (on Dave Swift's Fodera, poor thing :lol: ) Had a cracking time though, starting with being collared by T M Stevens who complained I didn't fist bump him hard enough, so had to do it again haha. Caught up with plenty of faces including Tom Kent, Dave Swift, Barrie (Molan) and the list can go on and on, but the highlight was meeting Leland Sklar... I'm a happy chappy now!
[/quote]

Ha, I saw that meeting with TM - was just behind you mate! "Hit me like a man!"

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1393708412' post='2383678']
Ha, I saw that meeting with TM - was just behind you mate! "Hit me like a man!"
[/quote]

:lol: I'd been awake since 5am having not got a wink of sleep, and had just driven for how ever many hours...what was he expecting? First time round I cracked my knuckle which didn't help :P

Thoroughly enjoyed today. Working alongside Joey Lauricella and Jason DeSalvo from Fodera was an inspiration. These guys just know so much about building basses and are so full of enthusiasm for all things bass :)

Also enjoyed a stint covering on Andy Baxter's stand. Some amazing vintage instruments on display and working alongside the wonderful Ernie McKone was fun too. Every time things were quiet he couldn't resist a quick blast on the odd vintage Fender or two (especially a cracking '66 transition era Jazz with binding, dots and lollipop tuners).

I even managed to sell him an Eat bass, Sleep bass, play bass T shirt :)

Waiting to see if he wears it when playing for 6 Music's Fantasy Funk Band next weekend.

For anyone who's coming along tomorrow, make sure you say hi to us all on stand C1A

If you do manage to make Sunday, don't be strangers. Please drop by and say hi. The tall, solid looking chap with the black and grey basschat longsleeve t-shirt is me and it's always good to put faces to usernames.

[quote name='Dash' timestamp='1393750831' post='2383885']
I'll be there later. How far in advance can I try get a ticket for a masterclass/live performance? Is it an hour or two hours?
[/quote]

Actually just spotted on the LBGS website that it's 2 hours before for Live Stage tickets but it doesn't mention the Masterclasses... does anyone who went yesterday remember how this works? I really want to go to the Lee Sklar masterclass if I can. :)