Why become a member? ×

The London Bass Guitar Show 2014

Silvia Bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1393723114' post='2383816']
It was an awesome day! And then I had an awesome night covering the Junkyard Dogs' gig (another billion photos to sort and post). Now well and truly knackered, and ready to go to bed. Roll on tomorrow! \m/ :D \m/
[/quote]

I'm gutted to miss all of the above, Silvia, but look forward to drooling over your pics, once you're suitably recovered enough to get them online... ;)

Great show, although putting so many of the bass builders in one corner was a bit of a planning fail considering how much room there was. Highlights for me were the Anaconda basses, Eve basses, BassGear (i got to meet the Fodera guys and play the MGS standard...hubba hubba), and the Enfield basses with Nick Smith demoing.

Yolanda and Rob Harris smashed it as usual as did Chris Hargreaves and many others. Got to speak to some great players, including Lee Pomeroy.

Looking forward to next year

Enjoyed that! Great ACG selection (loved the Graft Finn on the Markbass stand!), lovely to see a few old faces and a couple of new faces even if I did miss everyone off the list. Mo Foster was great!

Well done one and all involved for the BC corner :)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1393783193' post='2384336']

Well done one and all involved for the BC corner :)
[/quote]+1 to that, best bit of the show outside of Mr Sklar for me.

I found the whole thing a bit 'meh' to be honest, lots of exotica but not enough meat and tatties for my liking. I would also like to see more in the way of accessories (straps, gig bags, etc) and more than just the one solitary DB on the String & Things stand. Smaller than last year and way smaller than the year before, neither of which were as good as the Bass Show at the Excel IMO. Usual slappity, wackery the minute the lift doors opened and most stands plainly ignoring the 'turn it down/off' hooter. Unless there is an appearance by someone totally awesome next year I won't go again.

I'm with ezbass on the show summary. I was hoping to get some strings and new guitar lead, but no real choice on offer. Noise was down but still exhausting. I also noticed that Bernie Goodfellow looked somewhat pissed with noise from his neighbours, trying a bass is one thing but organised bass duet sessions on a stand ?? he should have a refund.

Did Bernie have a stand? Did not see a GB listed in the exhibitor listings?

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1393785383' post='2384355']
I'm with ezbass on the show summary. I was hoping to get some strings and new guitar lead, but no real choice on offer. Noise was down but still exhausting. I also noticed that Bernie Goodfellow looked somewhat pissed with noise from his neighbours, trying a bass is one thing but organised bass duet sessions on a stand ?? he should have a refund.
[/quote]

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1393785383' post='2384355']
[/quote]

Have to agree wholeheartedly on this. Placing Bernie within a couple of feet of Anaconda (?) basses was stupidity in the extreme. Added to that was a pair of slappers (!!) - one on each stand - belching out a ridiculous amount of crud was awful. There again, virtually every stand had its overdose of moronic plank thwackers.
This was my first visit to the bass show and on entering the 'room' my young son looked around and said "you paid for this?" After thirty minutes I'd seen enough and certainly heard more than I wanted! The saving grace of the 'event' was having a long chat with Rob Elrick - really nice guy - and Adrian of MARUSZCZYK Instruments. Again, a really nice guy with some great basses.
The Ernie Ball stand had the whole thing sorted. Want to hear yourself play a bass? Pop on the headphones and do t disturb the neighbours. I appreciate they were based 'outside' of the main room - fortunately for them - but why couldn't every exhibitor adopt the same approach?
Not particularly good value for money and hardly an opportunity to try out any gear properly purely because you couldn't hear a damn thing.
A first and last for me I'm afraid.

Edited by Scooby

I just got back. Had WAY more fun meeting people today than on Saturday. I had a fascinating chat with Jason from Fodera about how they've shifted their business model from a 30 year old start up to a fully functional company. He said things were pretty serious for Fodera financially at one point a few years ago which was a complete revelation given the price tags. Also had a fascinating chat with Sheldon Dingwall about his approach to achieving consistency in the wood selection in basses...and I had a go on the Sklar signature which was pretty damn good.

Gawd...my head is still spinning. It was just nice to see so many friendly faces, including the Basschatters who dropped by.

Yes it got noisy, the Eden and Hartke guys had a volume battle at one point (when I wasn't around) and management got involved. The slapping in another corner did get a little brutal at times but there were people standing around enjoying it. To be honest, any one wearing ear plugs won't have a problem and in attending these events, there is an expectation that there will be loud low frequencies for certain periods of time.

Eden did push the limits quite a bit though but any complaints to the management DOES sort things out and is ALWAYS an option for those who feel uncomfortable.

I guess haters will hate, and the rest of us will continue to enjoy meeting fellow BCers, lusting after gear which we are able to see and touch at the show, talking to manufacturers, distributors and luthiers and generally being social.
I do agree that it'd be lovely to have stands selling small accessories, or selling affordable basses etc., and I loathe the slappers as much as anyone else. BUT - I wouldn't want to be without the LBGS.
Regarding stands selling small or affordable gear, guys, if we keep buying things online, it'll never be viable to sell them on stands at fairs that cost a packet. I bet that if there had been a stand with cheap leads, tuners etc. some of you would still have refraind from buying anything, cos it's so much cheaper to get them from Amazon or GAK or wherever, innit.

well just got back after attending my first show,
why do most people think they need to slap the hell out off a bass
at every given moment at silly volumes,some good ,some bad,even saw a young guy with his thumb taped
ala mr king,felt a bit sorry for bernie goodfellow being where he was,I wanted to have a word but felt a little bit
with all of what was going on,managed to stop myself from buying another overwater
lee sklar masterclass what can you say well just superb,
some lovely boutique kit,also some lovely oldies but as been said before not enough bread and butter,
meeting basschat folks
will I go again for sure
had a really good day,met two of my heroes,saw some nice playing,
the guys on the elixiar strings stand,
they were just so good,
player with a red fiver he was proper,nothing too flash just really nice playing
the other guys in the band were equally as good
all in all a very good day worth the trip from hastings,
see you all next year

ps
there were no xl tshirts left
I really wanted one,so if anyone has a spare size xl thar is surplus let me know

cheers
stef

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1393789471' post='2384401']

Yes it got noisy, the Eden and Hartke guys had a volume battle at one point (when I wasn't around) and management got involved.

[/quote]

I saw that, but had to leave before it ended to catch JT, and to be fair it was a highlight for me. maybe it gained a bit of volume after I left, but I didn't see it as much as a volume battle as a 'bass off', and for the duration I was around it was fun, it was light hearted, and more than anything it was musical. Given the general soundscape of inept slapping, it was refreshing to hear some funky riff trading.

Aside from that T.M Stevens dragging an 11 year old onto the stage, getting him to knock out a one note groove with the band and making him feel like a rock god was a real highlight.

I was disappointed by the lack of variety of kit on sale, had a couple of things I would have snapped up to avoid paying P&P, but nowhere had them. Obviously the beautiful basses were something to behold, but for those not planning to shell out a few grand on beautiful wood there wasn't much. The workshops/masterclasses were worth the price of admission alone though, I caught most of them, and with the exception of walking out of Jeff Berlin (I just couldn't get into it), they all offerred something.

Nice to call in the stand and say hi too!

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1393793035' post='2384445']
XL t shirts on the Bass Gear stand weren't being sold by Basschat. But if you want to place an order, drop Ped a line.
[/quote]
it was the actual show t/shirt I was [size=4]after thanks[/size]

Me and my germs have been back a few hours but for some reason I can't upload my photos to photobucket so we'll have to really on everybody else's for now....was it me or did it seem like numbers were down on last year??

Really enjoyed the day, meeting up with lots of BCers who I already knew - hello again to Bluejay, Lozz, Kiwi, Happy Jack et al - unfortunately missed meeting up with Gunsfreddy who I've done a couple of deals with and also with Scooby who was the original owner of my Ritter. I'm sure that we'll meet up with in the future fellas...also briefly saw SiBob modelling a (superb) Silver Surfer bag which I need to steal from him when he puts it down near me.

Had a quick chat with our own Doctor of the Bass, Nick Smith, who was one of those being paid to demonstrate some basses with fabulous pick ups (sorry the name eludes me) but being berated here for his slapping. I managed to miss the "slap battle" between him and whoever was on the Anaconda stall.

Most of the exhibitors were very friendly, Alan from ACG and Bernie Goodfellow competing for title of "Nicest fella in the World" - sorry guys, it was a dead heat for me. I own one of each and both nearly had me reaching for credit cards...I somehow managed to resist their beautiful creations.

Really enjoyed the seminar by TM Stevens - the man certainly knows how to entertain and if ever decides to give up playing bass he's got a future in motivational speaking. Not sure how I would have felt if I'd been one of the two lads he called on stage to perform on Drums and Bass together but both rose to the occasion and equipped themselves admirably. An experience neither will forget I'm sure. Must also be true for the other young fella who TM had playing a single note just ahead and behind the groove.

TBH I was a bit disappointed in John Taylor's seminar - would have preferred more playing than what felt like an exercise in selling his book.

Highlights of the day for me were chatting to Yolanda Charles and Scott Devine, both really down to earth and willing to chat. Even had a compliment from Scott about my beard which he is threatening to imitate.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1393783944' post='2384347']
+1 to that, best bit of the show outside of Mr Sklar for me.

I found the whole thing a bit 'meh' to be honest, lots of exotica but not enough meat and tatties for my liking. I would also like to see more in the way of accessories (straps, gig bags, etc) and more than just the one solitary DB on the String & Things stand. Smaller than last year and way smaller than the year before, neither of which were as good as the Bass Show at the Excel IMO. Usual slappity, wackery the minute the lift doors opened and most stands plainly ignoring the 'turn it down/off' hooter. Unless there is an appearance by someone totally awesome next year I won't go again.
[/quote]

Which is why I didnt feel like going this year. And from what I hear I made the right decision.

I had a good time there this year. I met BlueJay on the bass chat stand and got to grips with a Ritter bass again. I still think they are bass shy which is a shame because I think they look fantastic. I actually got to check out some basses that I could hear this year. I tried quite a few different basses today and I only played one that if I was in the market for a non alembic bass, I would consider. That was Rikkers basses, they are from Holland they sounded great and the bottom end was awesome clear, powerful and punchy just the way I like it. It did seem smaller than last year but that could be an illusion. Had a good chat with Alan and John East about their new filter based pre-amps which sound like they are on to a winner.
Jazzyvee

Was good, but the lack of stands was apparent compared to last year. Great to meet up with some Basschatters, as always. Highlight for me was the TM Stevens seminar. Thought it would be the John Taylor one, but that concentrated too much on his book for me, whereas TM was all about the music.

Nice pics, I caught some of Yolanda's set on the Elixir stand and really loved her playing. Good sound and seems a person who just loves playing bass and making music. I may try some of those strings on my bass if I get to do some touring this year as I started using them exclusively once I discovered and found I could get maybe 4 or 5 gigs out of them compared to the one or two gigs I was getting out of my regular d'addario strings.

[attachment=156675:IMG_4061.jpg]
[attachment=156676:IMG_4059.jpg]
[attachment=156677:IMG_4060.jpg]

Oh and before you ask, no I didn't buy the Fodera, if you are gonna be photographed with the two guys from Fodera, then do it with one of their instruments. :-)
Jazzyvee

Edited by jazzyvee