Why become a member? ×

How many Bands is too many?

Mr Fretbuzz

LOL!!!! Interesting to see you start this thread ;)

For what it's worth, I think it depends on the time commitment and whether you have enough..... 3 bands that only gig occasionally and rarely rehearse would be less intensive than a band that rehearses every week and is gigging every weekend.

As you know, I am needing to review my situation as am currently in two bands that both rehearse every week and one that has started gigging, one which is going to start in June....!!

Take next week.... Monday, bass lesson, Tuesday, learn material for band 2, Wednesday, rehearsal band 1, Thursday, rehearsal band 2, Friday, gig band 1. So, time wise (with other things going on at home too) I'm going to have a pretty hectic week! So for me, I need to make some serious decisions!!

I play in 2. A dreadful cabaret type function band led by a halfwit who cant even tune his own guitar, which gets lots of work surprisingly. And a great rock covers band with a great singer which can never get everyone together for rehearsals. :angry:

Kids grown up and gone, working 4 days a week in my day job, so I manage:

- My own band
- My own other band (same guys so no clashes)
- A 7-piece soul band (only works occasionally and has plenty deps to call on)
- Various deps

So basically 3 bands, or 2, depending on how you look at it.

Two at the moment. This is fine because a) we have no gigs and b ) I have no life.
Seriously though I was only thinking today that I seem to be spending all my spare time learning and practising songs for the bands. So I have been neglecting my theory and general 'music' practice of late. :-(

Edited by seashell

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1367102414' post='2061407']
Two at the moment. This is fine because a) we have no gigs and b ) I have no life.
Seriously though I was only thinking today that I seem to be spending all my spare time learning and practising songs for the bands. So I have been neglecting my theory and general 'music' practice of late. :-(
[/quote]
That is true actually, I too spend a lot of time working up material for the next gig, and end up without the time to explore music-making possibilities that don't have a particular goal in mind. It's my own fault really!

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1367102414' post='2061407']
So I have been neglecting my theory and general 'music' practice of late. :-(
[/quote]

There's a bit of a balancing act to be had here.

There's a whole pile of other useful stuff you're getting exposed to that you just can't learn in a book or classroom.

You can choose when to learn some theory, you can't choose when to hone your practical skills. :)

Currently I'm doing an original thing on bass guitar with a drummer and two vocalists, another original thing on upright with a singer/songwriter/guitarist, and two sets of mostly covers (one rocksteady/ska, one pop stuff) on upright with different singer/guitarists.

But they're not all full time. If I was doing one 'serious' band that I was fully involved with, I would maybe only do one other side thing.

At one point last year I was in a wedding/function band, a rock band, a Beatles tribute, another wedding/function band and depping.

The problem arises when one or more of the bands gets busier and you've got to prioritise one over the other unless the each band knows that if band A gets a gig then you can't do one for band B, they have to get a dep and they're happy about the situation.

I was the latter as the rock band and tribute were made of musicians who, like myself, played in other wedding/function bands and gigged for the hell of it some weekends

Totally depends on band dynamics, schedules and personal desire

I've played in 3 at once (before kids) it worked well,

I've since played in 1 band that was more hassle than when I balanced 3

I think also, if you balance more tha1 band, you need to be honest with everyone, how you decide who gets first shout if there is a clash, either 1st in diary or by importance order etc

Edited by lojo

Currently 3, 1 gigs regularly, 1 gigs 4 or 5 times a year and the other is a writing and recording set up at the moment, it's manageable but rehearsal time gets challenging when you get a weekend of Saturday morning practice, sat evening gig with the other band and sunday afternoon practice with the writing project.

At one point I was in 2 that both rehearsed once a week, then ended up gigging at least once a week too.
On top of working full time on early mornings, it became too much.

So I'm in one band, and at some points of the year its plenty, others its as inactive as a dead battery.

Currently looking for another project though now.

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1367096469' post='2061348']
Deb :-D

Having been in my Band for over 6 months with no singer, no gigs and just 2 garage practices, I think I can fit in another :-D
[/quote]

Lol, I have apparently been in a band for almost a year and I havent even met all of the other band members yet :lol: