Why become a member? ×

People who randomly ask about your Basses!! (annoyed)

bassatnight

Has anyone ever had someone mail you about one of your Basses and request a selling price, despite you stating not for sale they keep pressing so you state a price then they state that's far too much and you'll go elsewhere - why ask then I never stated it was for sale!!!!

I keep getting mails about my Travis Bean Fretless from Mick Karn wannabees, it took me 10 years to track one down then I am expected to consider a few hundred for it....... Please tell me I am not the only one chaps and chapesses!

This is doubley annoying as 1 offering peanuts for an instrument that is very rare and then becoming annoyed that I realise it's worth!

[quote name='bassatnight' timestamp='1367068172' post='2060869']
Has anyone ever had someone mail you about one of your Basses and request a selling price, despite you stating not for sale they keep pressing so you state a price then they state that's far too much and you'll go elsewhere - why ask then I never stated it was for sale!!!!

I keep getting mails about my Travis Bean Fretless from Mick Karn wannabees, it took me 10 years to track one down then I am expected to consider a few hundred for it....... Please tell me I am not the only one chaps and chapesses!

This is doubley annoying as 1 offering peanuts for an instrument that is very rare and then becoming annoyed that I realise it's worth!
[/quote]

If you are being asked for a price on something that is not for sale....click the "delete email" button.............sorted !! ;)

I was essentially trying to put him off as I realized he was a chancer, my point is really people randomly asking about your equipment then asking laughable prices and becoming aggressive when you clearly know what it is you have and it's worth

[quote name='bassatnight' timestamp='1367068552' post='2060877']
I was essentially trying to put him off as I realized he was a chancer, my point is really people randomly asking about your equipment then asking laughable prices and becoming aggressive when you clearly know what it is you have and it's worth
[/quote]

No better way to put people off than to ignore/delete the emails.

I dont understand why you bother to reply in the first place.

[quote name='bassatnight' timestamp='1367068172' post='2060869']
[/quote]

No you are not the only one, as you have already found out there are many Mick Karn wannabees out there.

Sometimes a genuine random question about selling something might be timed well and work out for both parties, so I don't think it should be discouraged, however if someone is bugging you with the intention of offering silly prices then they are no better than a stalker

I've had people contact me out of the blue about basses which were just sitting here, gathering dust.

Lots of people on BC are regularly buying and selling and most of us have more kit than we need so I don't see there's a problem in making contact and having a conversation.

In my case I sold them the basses, but the chat wouldn't have got as far as price if I was against selling.

[quote name='bassatnight' timestamp='1367068552' post='2060877']
[/quote]

Do people really do this ? I'm shocked ! Tell them to f*** off .

I make a point of , for the most part , not telling people what equipment I have and haven't got for various reasons , and if people carry on like this then it seems like a good policy .

I've had mail about my basses over the years, often asking if I would sell something, or how much I would sell it for, or would I get back in touch if I ever did decide to sell.

I can't say it ever really bothered me and usually I would just delete the mail and move on.

If people want to ask questions about a bass you own , then that is fair enough , and I would be happy to supply information , but if people are pestering you with hopelessly low unsolicited offers to buy equipment from then that is pretty offensive . I suppose if you have a particulalty rare or valuable bass that someone wants to register their interest in if you ever decide to sell it then that is o.k too , but they would have to be making a realistic offer .

Edited by Dingus