Why become a member? ×

Badge whore

Guest MoJo

Further thoughts on the matter: I've seen people coax fantastic playing out of Squiers and bottom of the range Yamahas and they don't sound like they're feeling inferior. In fact, these are the players I respect (and fear) the most. They're not interested in the minutiae of bass gear and just want to play. They're comfortable with what they have and they know how to make it work, y'know because they're good players. Are they going to sound significantly better because they've "traded up" to a Fender or a top of the line Yamaha? I highly doubt it. They sound good because of themselves, not their gear and are not interested in the security blanket of acceptance/validation because, basically they don't need or want it, don't play with people who make a big deal of it and let their fingers/picks do the talking.

Also, I took a big risk and gigged my G&L Tribute L-2000 at the weekend. How odd - it sounded great and it didn't break down or spontaneously crumble into dust because it wasn't made in the USA.

Yes, I know that was bitchy. But like I said, it grinds my gears.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1365418151' post='2039146']
Further thoughts on the matter: I've seen people coax fantastic playing out of Squiers and bottom of the range Yamahas and they don't sound like they're feeling inferior. In fact, these are the players I respect (and fear) the most. They're not interested in the minutiae of bass gear and just want to play. They're comfortable with what they have and they know how to make it work, y'know because they're good players. Are they going to sound significantly better because they've "traded up" to a Fender or a top of the line Yamaha? I highly doubt it. They sound good because of themselves, not their gear and are not interested in the security blanket of acceptance/validation because, basically they don't need or want it, don't play with people who make a big deal of it and let their fingers/picks do the talking.

Also, I took a big risk and gigged my G&L Tribute L-2000 at the weekend. How odd - it sounded great and it didn't break down or spontaneously crumble into dust because it wasn't made in the USA.

Yes, I know that was bitchy. But like I said, it grinds my gears.
[/quote]

Everything you say is true, and I really like your attitude to this.

And yet... I do rather like having the Fender logo on my bass. However I'm really not bothered that it was made in Mexico.

There's no logic to it at all really. The psychology of brand loyalty seems to be rather complex.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1365419636' post='2039164']

Badges are good for most people's fantasies.
[/quote]

That's a good point. I do tend to live in a world of fantasy! :blush:

It's probably the more down to earth people who really don't give a stuff about badges.

I`m afraid I`m certainly in the badge-whore category. I`ve had many Precisions, but for me, it has to be a US Standard. Admittedly, the 2011 one I have now is the best bass - for me - that I`ve ever had, but all of the MIMs/CIJs/Squiers I`ve had were all perfectly acceptable, good players, not a bad bass amongst them. But they weren`t "Made in US".

Re the Gibson Les Paul thing - our guitarist has a Tokai Les paul, and used to have his Gibson Les Paul Custom as backup, til he worked out having a 2 grand guitar as backup wasn`t the most sensible thing to do. The Tokai sounds nicer, and plays much better than the Custom ever did.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1365419477' post='2039161']
Everything you say is true, and I really like your attitude to this.

And yet... I do rather like having the Fender logo on my bass. However I'm really not bothered that it was made in Mexico.

There's no logic to it at all really. [b]The psychology of brand loyalty seems to be rather complex.[/b]
[/quote]

It really is, and it's a beautiful thing. I wonder how many people would stop playing Fenders if it came to light that Leo was another Jimmy Savile, or stop playing Rickenbacker if they found out John Hall was a miserable lawsuit threatening f***er ;)

Edited by xilddx

I like brands and names, I really do.
Only I don't like to play what everybody else is using and within the past 30 years I usually don't find any stock instrument -vintage or new- that suits my needs anymore.
thats why I almost exclusively play old guild guitars and basses and custom instruments and amps.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1365368113' post='2038734']
I currently own two very capable P-basses, the 1990 MIJ Squier in particular is one of the nicest precisions I've played yet, at the back of my mind, it niggles me that it says Squier not Fender on the headstock. It's definitely an affliction. I think I'm a badge whore. Anyone else like to confess?
[/quote]

I had a guy ask me what year my MIJ Squier was at a gig in Sweden as he couldn't make out that it was a Squier from where he was sitting in the theatre I was playing. He couldn't understand why I was using a Squier over a Fender, I just said that it sounds good and plays good so I use it.

The part of us that worries about who makes our instruments and where they are made is the same part of us that worries about an onlooker identifying us using what they (and secretly maybe we) consider an inferior brand. Once we understand that most people don't care what instrument you use, the easier it is to get on and play!

I play a Squier and I honestly believe it is one of the nicer basses I have played, but I couldn't honestly say the Fender name doesn't hold some weight with me. I also find myself pointing out that it is an older Korean model - possibly another form of badge whoring?

I had to do some DIY to make it BEAD, I'd be too precious with an expensive bass.

And I'm skint.

I can't ay I'm really bothered one way or another. There are various brands (in everything - not just music gear) that I'm attracted to or repelled by, but that's from experience knowing that the ones I like, I like because most of the time they make stuff that suits me, and conversely the ones I don't like is because what they make doesn't suit me - and there's always exceptions each way.

My first bass had no logos on it anywhere, except "Burns" engraved on the pickups. At the time I didn't know enough about Burns instruments to know if the bass was a genuine Burns or something homemade with Burns pickups on it, and TBH I didn't care. It looked fantastic/quirky and sounded and played better than the Grant and Columbus P and J bass copies which were the only other options in my price range.

My next main bass was an Overwater. I'd heard of the company when I bought the bass (in 1992/3) buts wasn't really aware of the league they were perceived as being in. Once again it was simply an interesting looking bass that had the sounds and a playability that suited what I wanted. The name on the headstock was completely irrelevant.

AFAICS instrument badge snobbery only really affects those designs that are made by many different companies. Since most of what I play is unique to the companies that make them, being a badge whore isn't really an issue for me.

I've compared my MIJ Geddy Lee Jazz to several fairly new MIA Jazz Basses... It gave them all run for the money. For half the price I got a bass that - for me - sounds and plays better than most of the current Californian "originals". However, a modified (new pots, Badass bridge and brass nut, pickguard thrown out) '78 MIA Jazz belonging to a friend of mine blew my Geddy out of the water... But then again, it's probably the best sounding bass I've ever held in my hands (yes, even better than my Alembic!). It only proves that it all comes down to finding a right specimen. For me (from my experience) MIA Fenders since mid-80s are nothing special really, and they really differ in terms of sound quality, whereas Japanese Fenders are usually really good (better quality contorl, methinks). Not spectacular - but simply honestly good. Good enough for me. Older Japanese "lawsuit" copies are usually as good or even better - all Grecos, Tokais etc. I've checked out were just great! Older American Fenders are a bit like modern ones - they really differ from specimen to specimen - but contary to the new ones, you can find absolute gems among them (they usually need some tlc). My friend's Jazz is a prime example. What a bass!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1365424908' post='2039319']
- - - "There are various brands (in everything - not just music gear) that I'm attracted to or repelled by, but that's from experience knowing that the ones I like, I like because most of the time they make stuff that suits me, and conversely the ones I don't like is because what they make doesn't suit me - and there's always exceptions each way."
[/quote]

^^ +1 very true ^^

My first bass was home made by my Dad mostly, when I was 13 or 14, I hadn't even seen a Fender or a Gibson then except on the TV & couldn't care less what was on my headstock.

In fact it's only the past few years (in retirement) I've had a Fender at all. My gigging years were all done with a Gherson Jazz bass.

These days I tend not to worry about badges. Chinese rockbass £100 sounds just as good as my 'best bass'. Then again my best bass is only a copy precision, says something like made in Fullerton CA USA by Leo Fender on the headstock. Have had the why do you only have a copy comment several times. Seems like a waste of time trying to explain G&L to the uninitiated.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1365427083' post='2039376']
These days I tend not to worry about badges. Chinese rockbass £100 sounds just as good as my 'best bass'. Then again my best bass is only a copy precision, says something like made in Fullerton CA USA by Leo Fender on the headstock. Have had the why do you only have a copy comment several times. Seems like a waste of time trying to explain G&L to the uninitiated.
[/quote]

SB-2?!

I'm not a badge whore at all.
I buy what I like. I'd never heard of Vigier when I bought mine. I had sort of decided on a Thumb 5, but tried everything in the shop in my price range. Off of the wall came "the black one over there" and it never went back.

I DO own an American Jazz. Jazzes suit/fit me very well. The one I bought felt and sounded better than a Warwick j/j Streamer and was nearly as punchy as a Ray on some settings.

I own a Squier VMJ, too. Cracking bass. Super neck, and some better pickups will make it really quite formidable.

Have funds? Try it.
Like it? Buy it.

Colour, style (unless that causes ergonomic issues) and badge aren't really part of the equation.

I love that both my Warmoths have NO badges....they have prompted a fair few questions

I used to feel conscious that my JV wears a Squier badge...

I have only ever owned 2 things with a Fender badge on them...a strap (which was really uncomfortable) and a lead (which I really rather like)...

Would like and happily use a Ric copy , but as far as fenders go I do like the badge, but that's more to do with my nostalgia feelings about a fender bass , I have owed and gig a jazz and ibanez p bass, which where both great.

Funny thing though is I'm still debating if I should destroy / remove the fender logo off a neck I'm using a on build in favor of a matching headstock with a custom personal logo

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1365433154' post='2039535']
...I'll create a superbly crafted bass that can cut through any mix and sounds bigger than Beyoncé's leg. I'll brand it 'GOOD THATCHER'...
[/quote]

Be careful, though! :huh: [size=4]Before you know what's happened it'll have sold off council housing, smashed the unions and stopped free milk for schoolchildren...[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1365437945' post='2039636']
Be careful, though! :huh: Before you know what's happened it'll have enabled the sale of council housing, smashed the unions and stopped free milk for schoolchildren...
[/quote]

Not at all, the ancient craft of thatching is dying out, good thatchers are rare. I was simply hoping to revive a dying industry.