Why become a member? ×

Badge whore

Guest MoJo

I think a badge snob is someone who would buy an inferior instrument because of the brand. I have some nice label-snob basses but I bought them because their resale value is generally better than those without the brand. My main bass is still only worth £600.

Years ago, I played golf (not anymore). I had a great set of "branded" clubs, flash bag, trolley etc. as did my mates, but it didn't matter how much we spent on "better" sticks, our game never seemed to improve. One day we had a game with a young lad of about fourteen who obviously didn't have much cash, and played with four or five old battered clubs that he carried under his arm, not being able to afford a bag. He hit the ball absolutely superbly, straight as a die, much further than we did, went round in under par and wiped the floor with us.

The moral of this true story............brand snobbery is bollocks, it's how you sound and what you play (or don't play in some cases) that counts!! (just my opinion) :)

Edited by onemanband

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1365770800' post='2044228']
I think a badge snob is someone who would buy an inferior instrument because of the brand. I have some nice label-snob basses but I bought them because their resale value is generally better than those without the brand. My main bass is still only worth £600.
[/quote]

ONLY!

[quote name='onemanband' timestamp='1365773606' post='2044311']
Years ago, I played golf (not anymore). I had a great set of "branded" clubs, flash bag, trolley etc. as did my mates, but it didn't matter how much we spent on "better" sticks, our game never seemed to improve. One day we had a game with a young lad of about fourteen who obviously didn't have much cash, and played with four or five old battered clubs that he carried under his arm, not being able to afford a bag. He hit the ball absolutely superbly, straight as a die, much further than we did, went round in under par and wiped the floor with us.

The moral of this true story............brand snobbery is bollocks, it's how you sound and what you play (or don't play in some cases) that counts!! (just my opinion) :)
[/quote]

Basses, golf sticks, all from the toys for boys shop. Many a million has been made. You can pay £200 for a carefully designed walking stick with springy this and carbon fibre that if you want.