Why become a member? ×

Classic rock songs that would suit a female vocalist

SpaceChick

We are looking to add to our set for one of my bands. We all went out last night to see a band, and decided that we should all take 5 new song ideas to our next practice.

They need to be classic rock, or songs that wouldn't be out of place in that setting and not slow (I think we already have too many slow songs on our set).

The songs don't need to have been recorded by a female vocalist, but something that would suit a female voice (she's quite versitile and has a decent range).

I have decided I'm going to suggest "The Chain - Fleetwood Mac" and "Rosalie - Thin Lizzy". The first for obvious bass solo reasons, the second as I do it in my other band. But I'm handing the other three over to you guys for inspiration :P

As an aside, the band we saw last night did 2 songs the we currently do in our set. Very very interesting to hear another bassists interpretation of the basslines.... Although 1 I thought he ruined and I had to sit on my hands not to go up and take his bass of him :lol: Fair play though, he served most of the songs well and even did lead vocals on one, so hats off to him. I can't sing and play!

So guys over to you (oh and don't link to videos, as my iPad doesnt always like them :( )

Edited by SpaceChick

My first thought was anything by Heart. "Animals" is a good album to have a listen to.
There's also Kim Wilde, Joan Jett or Suzi Quatro. They all have a lot of good rock songs.

If I had a female singer, I'd definitely be doing a Lana Del Rey song. Could easily be rocked up. :D

Songs from Yes' back catalogue have been done well by female vocalists - Annie Haslam and Glasshammer...

Plus you get to play Chris Squire's amazing lines... (and can GAS for a Rick) win-win!

Edited by visog

I would love to do Mother's Little Helper by the Stones and Stay with Me by Rod and the Faces. Mainly because of the words (and the fact they are cracking songs of course!)
Stay with Me has such mysoginistic lyrics, I reckon a female singer could really turn it on its head in an interesting way (note my BC member description!)

I play in a female fronted rock covers band and we tend not to worry about who might have sung a song first (male/female), just pick good songs... or songs that go down well... or songs that suit a particular venue... or songs that suit the occasion... or... ;)

[url="http://www.jojamesband.com/oursongs.cfm"]http://www.jojamesband.com/oursongs.cfm[/url]

Along a similar line to warwickhunt, although we primarily play heavy rock with a female vocals and the occasional classic rock tune thrown in.

We do a mix of maiden, priest, sabbath, dc, dio, with a little Bon jovi thrown in if the crowd wants it.
We consistently receive praise for our singist along with comments like- I never thought maiden would work with a female vocal etc...
If you would like a set list, drop me a pm

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1365237705' post='2036977']
I play in a female fronted rock covers band and we tend not to worry about who might have sung a song first (male/female), just pick good songs... or songs that go down well... or songs that suit a particular venue... or songs that suit the occasion... or... ;)
[/quote]

This. As long as the voice can get the key of the song, go for it.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1365240096' post='2037009']
I always thought that AC/DC stuff, particularly Bonn Scott's stuff sounded translated well to female vocals.
[/quote]

You Shook Me All Night Long is our second set opener, our girly sings it good!! We have a mixture of male/female songs and don't worry about it too much, a few keys have been fiddled with but nothing drastic, Fleetwood Mac, Bon Jovi, Bryan Addams, Springsteen, all right across the board. What's Up by 4 non Blondes is our usual encore singalong!

I recently 'auditioned' for an 80s band that has male/female singers (neither of whom, it transpired, were good enough despite getting raved about by the band organiser). A lot of suggestions made here were on their to do list but also some Tina Turner, Patti Smith 'Becasue The Night', a lot of Pat Benetar. Chicago seemed to come up a lot, too. Blondie. Other than that Susan Tedeschi - Rock Me Right - jogs long nicely. A particualr favouorite of mine, which has nothing at all to do with the way she wiggles about, is Cadillac Blues by Karen Lawrence. I know you don't do vids but it is worth posting for the guys... to hear her gravelly husky voice.
[url="http://youtu.be/sqx-1ME6rxo"]http://youtu.be/sqx-1ME6rxo[/url]

Our female singer copes well with the rockier songs that we do, by male vocalists, however we also do "Barracuda" by Heart, "You Oughta Know" (Flea bass line) and always get a good reaction to "Zombie" (bit of an easy bass line-but powerful). Standing in the Way of Control (The Gossip). "Weak" and "Twisted" by Skunk Anansie (have a listen to the latter-you can have a good play around with effects/wah pedal).

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1365241828' post='2037056']

You Shook Me All Night Long is our second set opener, our girly sings it good!! We have a mixture of male/female songs and don't worry about it too much, a few keys have been fiddled with but nothing drastic, Fleetwood Mac, Bon Jovi, Bryan Addams, Springsteen, all right across the board. What's Up by 4 non Blondes is our usual encore singalong!
[/quote]

Your girly singer is great, she's got balls! So to speak.