Why become a member? ×

Courier disaster... :(

Telebass

Well, after waiting with great anticipation for my Barefaced Super 15, it arrived this morning. With a hole in it. Right through multiple packaging layers and almost right through the ply.

Quite how the couriers had managed to mistreat a well-packed item that badly,is, frankly, beyond me.

Alex at Barefaced was audibly shocked when i told him, both because he's gone to a great deal of trouble to try and make sure this sort of problem doesn't happen, and because he now has to effectively start from scratch on a new cab for me, which will screw up his production.

Hopefully, he can recover some parts from the damaged cab, but if it's been beaten around to that extent (there were in fact several holes in and through the packaging), I would be surprised if it wasn't a total loss.

To say I'm gutted is to indulge in the greatest of understatements...

I've never seen inside any couriers warehouse but I've wachted many drivers grab a package by the strapping and thrown it into the back of a van to land on a disorganized heap in the back.
Having worked in a despatch dept of a laboratory supplies company I know how absolutely pointless "fragile" stickers are , if anything it marks a package out for "special treatment"
It amazes me how little respect some people have for the goods in their care.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

A few years ago I used to work in a pallet distriubution company and down at the hub in the North of England, there was a large part of the warehouse which was full of pallets and parcels that had been damaged and were awaiting insurance claims. Some of the items, they could not even identify who they were for as they were so damaged.

The forklift truck drivers who move the items about are under so much pressure that if they drop anything or damage stuff, they will leave it or stick it on the vehicle and it becomes another person`s problem. I realise that this was a parcel but the same rules apply. As for fragile /handle with care labels, most companies don`t worry with such details.

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1364473831' post='2026926']
It amazes me how little respect some people have for the goods in their care.
[/quote]

So true. I'm guessing these people didn't want to be working in a crappy warehouse on minimum wage, and are under pressure from some asshole box-ticking manager, so they take it out on the nearest available object, i.e. your valuable package.

The last few deliveries I've had, the couriers have been offhand at best and borderline aggressive at worst, so I reckon the wages in that particular job have been cut and the workload increased. Like lots of other jobs, I fear.

Absolutely gutted for you. Small consolation but it will be worth the extended wait.
Again, small consolation but at least it will have been properly insured. It really does , once again, show that if you are moving stuff about, it MUST be fully insured.
Sorry you are going to have to go through this.
All the best,
Karl.

i ordered a samsung galaxy for my wife last week off ebay for my wife,its gone missing i asked seller its wherabouts who in turn got in touch with royal mail
its been signed for he said by mr hibbert ? i have no idea who mr Hibbert is and why would you deliver to someone other than the person on the package?
it happened last year to me they delivered a parcel to someone 3 doors down from my old house who i dont particularly get on with,they never put a card through my door to tell me and he didnt bring it round to me so weeks later royal mail tell me where it was delivered,i go round and they say yeah we have your parcel and we were wondering when you were gonna collect it ?

A couple of years ago I sent a bass, in a hardcase + packaging, via some couriers. When it arrived the bass was damaged and was eventually returned to me.

There was a hole in the packaging which suggested that somebody had thrown something like an umbrella straight at the box, javelin stylee, making a hole in the cardboard. Though it did not pierce the hardcase, it was hit with such force that one of the knobs on the bass twisted so that it was nolonger square to the body.

Since the bass had travelled to and from with two different companies, I felt that there was no point making a claim as each would blame the other...I can see that I'm not alone in this sort of thing..

Alex is a nice fella, I'm sure he'll get the replacement cab to you as soon as..

We shipped out a parcel containing 2 boxes a couple of weeks ago. The customer got a parcel with one box in it. The courier has re-packed the parcel after f***ing it up. To get any recompense I had to spend half an hour on their online claim form, explaining to them that they damaged it themselves and the damaged remains were probably in their depot. No reponse yet. I guess they make it as difficult as possible to put people off claiming

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1364472533' post='2026891']
......... With a hole in it. Right through multiple packaging layers and almost right through the ply.

Quite how the couriers had managed to mistreat a well-packed item that badly,is, frankly, beyond me....
[/quote]

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1364474128' post='2026932']
........The forklift truck drivers who move the items about are under so much pressure that if they drop anything or damage stuff, they will leave it or stick it on the vehicle and it becomes another person`s problem......
[/quote]

I reckon that's your answer, it probably got pronged by a fork lift truck.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1364474327' post='2026935']
So true. I'm guessing these people didn't want to be working in a crappy warehouse on minimum wage, and are under pressure from some asshole box-ticking manager, so they take it out on the nearest available object, i.e. your valuable package.

The last few deliveries I've had, the couriers have been offhand at best and borderline aggressive at worst, so I reckon the wages in that particular job have been cut and the workload increased. Like lots of other jobs, I fear.
[/quote]

Too true Discreet. Most courier companies are on NMW or slightly above, doing anything from 50 to 110 deliveries and collections a day. I think the best paid guys up here are UPS who get around £24K.

I tried the job for a couple of days and ended up stressed out me nut! :crazy:

But that is no excuse for a bad attitude.

Edited by jezzaboy

I sold a guitar on Evilbay this week and the buyer decided to send his own courier to collect...queue an unmarked van turns up and the guy says hello mate I've come to collect a package! I said have you got the correct address labels....no he says, fortunately I had already put the address on the box....Am I going to get a receipt....no we don't give receipts he says...well I am not letting the guitar go then....so finally he gives me a City Link missed delivery slip with collect guitar written on it!

Not exactly inspiring confidence but I rang the buyer and confirmed it was City Link collecting so I let it go....thank fully it arrived safetly but I can't say much more than FFS!

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1364502940' post='2027489']
I sold a guitar on Evilbay this week and the buyer decided to send his own courier to collect...queue an unmarked van turns up and the guy says hello mate I've come to collect a package! I said have you got the correct address labels....no he says, fortunately I had already put the address on the box....Am I going to get a receipt....no we don't give receipts he says...well I am not letting the guitar go then....so finally he gives me a City Link missed delivery slip with collect guitar written on it![/quote]

I had very similar with ParcelFarce. The driver admitted he was a temp, in a plain white hired van, no uniform, no ID, no receipts to take an SG to Holland. I told him I wasn't letting it go & he started a rant about wasting his time & schedules etc. He started to get heavily stroppy so I told him to take a hike before I did the same.
It was after that that I found out on here that they don't insure musical instruments anyway.

I have never and will never use couriers to transport any of my stuff.
When selling, I always stipulate collection in person. When buying, I'll collect myself, partly because I want to try items for myself before I buy, but mainly because I'll take care of them in transit.

I feel for you.