Why become a member? ×

Expression.

steve-soar

When I first went to secondary school, aged about eleven, there was a boy who clearly had some er, "issues". He would to get very very upset and fly into rages, or tearful tantrums, for reasons that weren't at all obvious to the rest of us. He would often be followed around by groups of pupils just to see what he would do next. This made his behaviour worse, until eventually his parents had to remove him from the school. I am not proud to say that I was one of those who sometimes followed him round to gawp and laugh at his antics. What I've seen on basschat in the last few days with the "inti" issue has reminded me of those times. This can be a wonderful and supportive place, but I don't think this has been its finest hour.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1360277088' post='1968135']
This can be a wonderful and supportive place, but I don't think this has been its finest hour.
[/quote]

Agreed, I've been ganged up on by the BC massive before and it's very unpleasant - I notice a few of the same names are involved here.
Some people just like to put the boot in and they feel stronger with their gang in support.
Very easy on line, but I wonder how tough these people are face to face, one on one.
It's all a bit 'Lord Of The Flies' and quite unnecessary.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1360277088' post='1968135']
When I first went to secondary school, aged about eleven, there was a boy who clearly had some er, "issues". He would to get very very upset and fly into rages, or tearful tantrums, for reasons that weren't at all obvious to the rest of us. He would often be followed around by groups of pupils just to see what he would do next. This made his behaviour worse, until eventually his parents had to remove him from the school. I am not proud to say that I was one of those who sometimes followed him round to gawp and laugh at his antics. What I've seen on basschat in the last few days with the "inti" issue has reminded me of those times. This can be a wonderful and supportive place, but I don't think this has been its finest hour.
[/quote]
[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1360278029' post='1968145']

Agreed, I've been ganged up on by the BC massive before and it's very unpleasant - I notice a few of the same names are involved here.
Some people just like to put the boot in and they feel stronger with their gang in support.
Very easy on line, but I wonder how tough these people are face to face, one on one.
[/quote]
Please chaps, lets not get over sensitive about this!

What happened was that he posted a video of himself and everybody was very polite about his playing but a few said that it wasn't their cup of Darjeeling. He responded to this furiously, revealing himself to be both arrogant and to have a vastly inflated opinion of his (admittedly quite good) abilities.

Worse of all, he showed that has no sense of humour or understanding of the concept of irony, which is obviously going to expose him to ridicule on a forum dominated by British musicians!

If you are going to act like a d1ck then you can expect to be treated like one....

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1360282018' post='1968195']

What happened was that he posted a video of himself and everybody was very polite about his playing but a few said that it wasn't their cup of Darjeeling. He responded to this furiously, revealing himself to be both arrogant and to have a vastly inflated opinion of his (admittedly quite good) abilities.

[/quote]

Funny thing was no one ever insulted him as a musician. He is a pretty skilled bloke with a bass.

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1360283342' post='1968213']
................annnnnnyway, back to what you peasents think is expression, what touches your hearts?
[/quote]

For me, it's a passage or a phrase in a piece of music that conjures up a recollection or an image of something from my past.

I saw Vicki Clayton playing this evening and there was one song that just sent me into autopilot - I was in the room, I was only half hearing what she was singing because I was mentally miles away.
It wrapped me, enveloped me and guided me through a series of images through to the end.

Absolutely marvellous. :)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1360308717' post='1968292']
For me, it has always been about harmony and modulation. I remember as a young child at church always liking the hymns with movement in them. Now it's Falling Grace but the 'special' ingrediant is still the harmony.
[/quote]

Yes! I can listen to Miserere Mei Deus any number of times and it still makes me tingle. That's renaissance polyphony for you! :)
I should point out that I am completely secular - I don't think you need to be a believer to appreciate this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcWo1hKHu40

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1360278029' post='1968145'] Agreed, I've been ganged up on by the BC massive before and it's very unpleasant - I notice a few of the same names are involved here. Some people just like to put the boot in and they feel stronger with their gang in support. Very easy on line, but I wonder how tough these people are face to face, one on one. It's all a bit 'Lord Of The Flies' and quite unnecessary. [/quote]

I resent those remarks! You did drive too fast, and I never got to see the scenery that I came for. Chill out or I'll fetch my gang from South Wales! Clown! Whore! Taxi Driver! :P

Seriously though, without knowing a thing about what you refer to, in general, I'm sure that these things are painful, wouldn't want to be subjected to it myself, and I'm sorry you had such an experience.
It may very well be that we do have to reconsider our actions in situations like this.

However, by large I don't see people with doubtable courage, or gang supported attacks. By large, mind. I mainly see individuals getting provoked into action, and agreeing with one another.
The pattern I seem to see, and I recognise that in myself, is that people start out friendly and polite and stay constructive until they're provoked enough, and something snaps. It's at that point I'm sure we need to show more restraint - not allowing that snap to get the better of us.

OTOH, IMHO, restraint may never be allowed to become a free ticket for the Intis of this world to demand respect without showing any, to harrass and attack when people disagree or in other ways don't provide what the Intis crave. Sometimes it's just too late to simply stay away.

best,
bert

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1360320954' post='1968476']
Yes! I can listen to Miserere Mei Deus any number of times and it still makes me tingle. That's renaissance polyphony for you! :)
I should point out that I am completely secular - I don't think you need to be a believer to appreciate this.

[/quote]
I'm also an atheist but love choral music - this is a particular favourite:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuFA3DmglwI[/media]

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1360321949' post='1968498']

I resent those remarks! You did drive too fast, and I never got to see the scenery that I came for. Chill out or I'll fetch my gang from South Wales! Clown! Whore! Taxi Driver! :P

[/quote]

You Norwegian tourists are all mouth and trousers and terrible tippers to boot :D

Steve.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1360278029' post='1968145']
[/quote]
Sorry Redstriper, can't really agree with you here, I would love the opportunity to talk to Inti one to one in person just to see where he is really coming from. He was the one that dished out all the spite and vitriol. OK, Earbrass may have had a point, we don't know about the guy's mental state, but really, I think he's the bully on here and is the one hiding behind the internet. I think the BC community came to the defence of their own who were under attack by a bigot.

Cheers,
Mike

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1360323373' post='1968529']
You say ee-ther, and I say ai-ther ...
[/quote]

I'm so glad you posted this, I've been sorely tempted since yesterday! :D

Edit: I would also have accepted 'eye-ther'.

Edited by discreet